Fungal infections on the scalp like seborrheic dermatitis and tinea versicolor are characterized by things like dandruff, flaking, and itching. To combat these infections and their symptoms, you need to invest in the best antifungal shampoo. It will not only ensure that these pesky problems are at bay but will also protect and nourish your hair and scalp. Unlike regular shampoos, these are crafted using a medicated formula that will surely give you the desired results. To help you pick the perfect one, we’ve listed the 10 best ones in the market. So scroll on and find your perfect hair match.
Let’s take a look!
10 Best Antifungal Shampoos In 2022 That You Must Try
1. Best Overall Antifungal Shampoo: Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo is formulated with an active ingredient called ketoconazole that works best to get rid of dandruff. This shampoo is undoubtedly a big hit and recommended by most doctors as a permanent dandruff solution. It is also effective on the fungal acne-like pimples or whiteheads on your skin. Dermatologists also swear by this product as it helps in getting rid of unwanted bumps. Additionally, Nizoral is considered to be the best shampoo for treating ringworm. If you want to know more about the results of the Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo, check out this YouTube review.
- Effective dandruff treatment
- Treats fungal acne
- Reduces itching
- Quick results
- May cause an allergic reaction
- May cause dryness
2. Best For Flaky Scalp: Healthy Hair Plus Anti-Fungal Shampoo
Healthy Hair Plus Anti-Fungal Shampoo is the right fit for you if you have fungal acne and flaky scalp problems. The formula of this shampoo consists of emu oil, which has anti-inflammatory properties and helps alleviate swollen or painful areas on the scalp. It eliminates bacteria and fungus at the same time. It also contains coconut oil that is rich in caprylic, capric, and lauric acids. These fatty acids have potent antifungal, antiviral, and antibacterial effects. The grapeseed oil in this shampoo boosts hair growth. To learn more about the benefits of this shampoo, have a look at this YouTube video.
- Treats flaky scalp and acne
- Moisturizes the hair
- Antibacterial properties
- Stimulates hair growth
- Not suitable for sensitive skin
3. Best Clarifying Formula: Maple Holistics Tea Tree Oil Special Formula Shampoo
Maple Holistics Tea Tree Oil Special Formula Shampoo contains tea tree oil that hydrates your scalp and hair. Its antifungal and antibacterial formula treats dryness, itching, and flaking on the scalp. It also contains rosemary and lavender that naturally eradicate lice. It promotes fast hair growth and prevents hair loss and hair thinning. This shampoo is free from harsh ingredients like sulfates and parabens. It is one of the best organic antifungal shampoos out there. For a detailed review of the Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo, have a look at this video.
- Washes away dandruff flakes
- Hydrates your scalp and hair
- Boosts hair volume
- Promotes hair growth
- Suitable for chemically-treated hair
- Leaves your hair tangled
- May cause skin irritation
4. Best For Inflammed Scalp: Best Natural Antifungal Shampoo: ProBliva Fungus Shampoo for Hair & Scalp
If you’re longing for healthy hair and scalp for days now, ProBliva Fungus Shampoo for Hair & Scalp is the best cure. This antifungal shampoo deals with several problems like itching, flaking, and irritation on the scalp. It reduces inflammation and soothes your damaged scalp. Its ingredients include coconut oil, jojoba oil, and grapeseed extract that can heal any damage caused by fungus. The emu oil in it is a tough emulsifier that boosts the health of your scalp and hair. It is one of the best and natural antifungal shampoos.
- Reduces scalp issues caused by fungus, bacteria, and ringworm
- Decrease oil secretion from sebaceous glands
- Reduces itchiness, flaking, and inflammation
- Moisturizes your hair from root to tip
- May cause mild irritation
- Excessive use might lead to hair loss
5. Best For Psoriasis: Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo
Neutrogena T/Gel Shampoo is one of the top-rated products that wonders for severe scalp issues like seborrheic dermatitis, scalp psoriasis, and dandruff. It contains menthol that has a long-lasting soothing effect on your scalp. The active ingredient in this shampoo is Neutar (coal tar extract) that slows down the overproduction of skin cells on the scalp and reduces inflammation.
- Effectively treats seborrheic dermatitis, scalp psoriasis, and dandruff
- Reduces inflammation and flaking
- Recommended by dermatologists
- Safe for color-treated hair
- May cause hair staining
6. Best Sulfate-Free Formula: pHat 5.5 Manuka Honey Seborrheic Dermatitis Shampoo
pHat 5.5 Manuka Honey Seborrheic Dermatitis Shampoo contains medical-grade manuka honey with potent antimicrobial and antiviral properties to effectively treat eczema, psoriasis, and seborrheic dermatitis. It is also infused with aloe vera, orange peel oil, tapioca, coconut extract, and australian cehami that eliminate stubborn dandruff, treat itchy scalp, prevent hair breakage, while leaving your hair strong, shiny, soft, and smooth. This sulfate-free shampoo is suitable for oily, dry, and normal hair types.
- pH-balanced formula
- Quick results
- Effective on rosacea
7. Best Dermatologist Recommended: DHS Zinc Shampoo
DHS Zinc Shampoo is one of the easiest ways to clear all sorts of fungi and bacteria from your scalp. It contains 2% zinc pyrithione, which is highly effective in treating dandruff. Dermatologists highly recommend this shampoo for treating all types of scalp issues. DHS Zinc Shampoo improves the growth cycle of your hair, calms irritated skin, provides relief from itching and flaking, and reduces hair thinning.
- Relieves irritation and flaking
- Treats dandruff
- Soothes the scalp
- Conditions the hair
- Suitable for all skin and hair types
- May cause blistering issues in rare cases
8. Best Vegan Formula: Zatural Naked Neem Therapeutic Hair & Scalp Shampoo
Zatural Naked Neem Therapeutic Hair & Scalp Shampoo contains several fatty acids that nourish your scalp. It contains neem oil that prevents free radical damage on the scalp and stimulates hair follicle growth. It revitalizes undernourished hair by reducing flaking and itchiness on your scalp. It is effective against several fungi like candida, which is one of the leading causes of dandruff. It promotes thicker hair growth and reduces redness and irritation on the scalp.
- Anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties
- Suitable for dry and oily scalps
- Smoothens the hair
- Stimulates hair follicle growth
- Regulates the secretion of sebum on the scalp
- Not suitable for children
9. Best Gentle Formula: Ovante Folliculitis Solution Shampoo
Ovante Folliculitis Solution Shampoo is a gentle, antibacterial, and antifungal shampoo formulated with natural oils and herbs. It cleanses the scalp, removes dirt, sebum, and eliminates yeast, bacteria, and fungi to prevent folliculitis. It also treats dandruff and other bacterial infections, leaving your scalp itch and irritation-free.
- Natural ingredients
- Treats bacterial infections
- Effective results
- Pungent odor
10. Best Cruelty-Free: Brooklyn Botany Tea Tree Shampoo
Tea tree oil is a natural remedy for fungal scalp infections. Brooklyn Botany Tea Tree Shampoo is rich in this oil that deeply cleanses your scalp, hydrates it, and promotes thicker hair growth. It fights dandruff, fungi and cleanses the clogged follicles for faster hair growth. This is the best antifungal shampoo with rich ingredients that smell amazing and invigorate your scalp.
- Natural scent
If you are concerned about an itchy, flaky scalp due to seborrheic dermatitis, dandruff, or other skin condition that might be caused by a fungal infection, it is important to find the right antifungal shampoo. This guide is all about what you need to know when shopping for these products.
Things To Remember While Choosing An Effective Anti-Fungal Shampoo
- Ingredients: The most important part of antifungal shampoo selection is the quality of the active ingredients. To avoid unnecessary yeast and bacterial infections, it is important to stick with products that contain only natural and organic ingredients. If you want a product to strengthen your hair, go for one that is rich in protein. However, it is also very important to make sure that you’re placing your trust in a product with high-quality active ingredients thoroughly researched by the manufacturers.
- Long-lasting Results: Antifungal shampoos are generally applied to the skin for about 5 minutes once or twice per week. This unfortunately means that you’ll be spending a lot of time sitting around in the shower waiting for things to happen. If you are looking for a more convenient option, it is helpful to choose an antifungal shampoo that is effective for at least a week.
- Price: Antifungal shampoos can be very expensive, especially if you’re dealing with a fungal infection that just would not go away. However, some brands are more affordable than the others and it is helpful to keep in mind that natural antifungal ingredients tend to be more expensive than artificial alternatives.
- Sensitivity: If you have very sensitive skin, it is important to choose an antifungal shampoo that contains the fewest ingredients possible and is guaranteed to be allergy-free. If your skin is a bit more resilient, you can opt for a product with a little more oomph in terms of antifungal properties.
- Skin Conditions: The antifungal ingredients found in most antifungal shampoos are generally very effective against seborrheic dermatitis and scalp fungal infections because they work by preventing fungi from producing the keratin protein it needs to survive. So choose the shampoo according to your skin condition.
- Harsh chemicals: Toxins, chemicals, and ingredients like silicones flatten out your hair cuticle. It can further cause build-up and can damage your hair. So make sure to stay away from harsh ingredients like parabens, sulfates, and phthalates.
Fungal infections on your scalp like tinea versicolor or seborrheic dermatitis that causes flaking, dandruff, and itching need to be treated with the best antifungal shampoos. Besides keeping these pesky hair problems at bay, you can also nourish your scalp and tresses. They have a medicated formula that will help you achieve desired results. These shampoos can effectively treat fungal acne, reduce itching, have antibacterial properties, and deliver quick results. In addition, they have a clinically proven formula recommended by doctors to keep these scalp issues at bay.
Why Trust Stylecraze
Oyendrila Kanjilal, the author of this article, has a keen interest in hair care and styling. Her love for haircare makes her one of the bests to review hair care products. She has conducted in-depth research to find the best antifungal shampoos for her readers. She has picked products with medicated formulas that nourish the scalp and keep it healthy.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does antifungal shampoo take to work?
Antifungal shampoos should be used according to the instructions given by your dermatologist. Using such products frequently may result in certain side-effects as these products contain potent ingredients. Nevertheless, if you follow a proper hair care routine, you’ll see visible results within 2-4 weeks of usage.
What causes scalp fungal infection?
One of the most common forms of scalp fungus is ringworm, scientifically known as Tinea capitis. However, this condition is not caused by worms but is named such because of the round rings that appear on your scalp. Such a fungal infection causes scalp issues like itchiness, flakiness, and major dandruff problems. Ringworm is most common among toddlers and school children and is a contagious infection. It may occur in various age groups.
How can you get rid of scalp fungal infection?
The right antifungal shampoo can help you eliminate the root cause of your scalp problem. Fungal infections can spread throughout your scalp if they are not treated adequately. As soon as you find notice any scalp problems, you must take the necessary precautions and consult a doctor.
Which shampoo is the best for fungal infection?
The Healthy Hair Plus Anti-Fungal Shampoo is the best for fungal infections. The gentle formula eliminates bacteria and fungi while reducing pains in the swollen areas. The shampoo also deep moisturizes the scalp while discharging its anti-inflammatory properties.
How do I know if I have a fungus on my scalp?
If you have fungus on your scalp, your scalp will have a constant itchy sensation. If your look carefully, you will notice that scaly and silvery patches of various shapes have formed all around your scalp. These rashes may crack and crusts may form. Crusts can also lead to drastic hair loss. It is important to address the issue immediately with some anti-fungal care and expert consultation.
Is it safe to use ketoconazole shampoo daily?
Using a ketoconazole shampoo regularly can either turn your tresses excessively dry or oily and can also discolor the strands. So, you can use it as a treatment for a maximum of consecutive 3 days.
Does scalp fungus go away on its own?
No. Fungus infection will spread if not treated immediately. If the symptoms are mild, you can try an OTC anti-fungal care product. But it is always wiser to consult a doctor to get proper treatment.
Do antifungal formulas cause hair loss?
Certain antifungal creams can clog your pores and dry your scalp. This may increase hair fall as well. So, it is recommended to consult a dermatologist prior to purchasing any cream.