Gray hair can grow out due to increasing age, or sometimes premature graying due to external and internal factors. It is essential to pick the best products for gray hair to make sure your tresses look healthy. After all, it is now rightfully preached that we should try and embrace whatever we have if it can’t be altered. It also applies to your graying hair. A different formulation of ingredients is required to get the dreamy gray and silver strands in order to showcase volume and luster.
If you need some celeb inspo, think Meryl Streep, Judy Dench, and Jodie Foster. Not only can you slay it with the right kind of care and serve icy queen realness, but you can also deeply nourish your mane for a longer time. If you are struggling with finding hair products that will satisfactorily take care of your hair, take a look at the following compilation of the 10 best options for gray locks.
In This Article
Top 10 Products For Gray Hair
1. Best Overall: Redken Color Extend Graydiant Silver Conditioner
Are regular conditioners damaging the texture and color of your grey hair? Well, ditch them and condition your gray locks with this Redken Color Extend Graydiant Silver Conditioner. This conditioner deposits pigments of silver onto your hair strands to add sheen and improve vibrancy. The formula is infused with citric acid and lactic acid, and tames unruly strands and rebalances your hair’s texture. It also contains amino acids, which makes the hair more manageable and easier to style.
- Strengthens hair 2x stronger
- Nourishing formula
- Enriched with amino acids
- Removes yellow and brassy undertones
- Formula may be a bit heavy
2. Best Nourishing Formula: Fanola No Yellow Hair Mask
Enriched with violet anti-yellow pigments, this Fanola No Yellow Hair Mask neutralizes unwanted yellow hues, leaving behind cool, ashy, and vibrant tones. If you are worried about dry and brittle hair, this product doubles as a great conditioner as it contains shea butter and castor oil. Sulfate, paraben, and silicone-free, this mask not only nourishes your tresses but also detangles them. This mask is enriched with citric acid, which helps maintain the natural pH of your scalp.
- Neutralizes unwanted yellow hues
- Doubles as a conditioner
- Nourishes and detangles hair
- 100% vegan
- Sulfate, silicone, and paraben-free
- Pleasant scent
- Offers silky soft hair
- May not be suitable for sensitive scalps
3. Best For Brassy Hair: Bold Uniq Purple Conditioner For Blonde, Platinum And Gray/Silver Hair
Here’s a Godsent conditioner for those with gray and silver hair. Not only does this product remove brassy and yellow tones, but it also detangles knots, and repairs split ends. This conditioner for gray hair contains jojoba oil, aloe vera juice, and coconut oil, which helps moisturize hair, tame frizz, and offer a silky, shiny finish. Other ingredients such as Brazil nut seed oil, are rich in omega 6 and fatty acids and help condition the hair naturally, leaving it soft and smooth. All ingredients are ethically-sourced, and the packaging is made from 100% ocean waste plastic.
- Removes brassy and yellow tones
- Reduces frizz
- 100% cruelty-free formula
- Free of parabens and sulfates
- Ethically sourced ingredients
- Some may find the formula greasy
4. Best For Shine: Aveda Blue Malva Conditioner
Is your gray hair losing its shine and texture? We suggest you use this gentle conditioner from Aveda. Enriched with high-quality ingredients, it smoothes your tresses and adds brightness. This hair product for gray hair includes deeply conditioning ingredients like coconut oil, rapeseed oil, and hydrolyzed wheat protein. They are abundant in fatty acids, penetrate deep into the scalp and shaft, and provide moisture. The formula is enriched with extracts of mallow, sweet almond, cornflower, wild cherry bark, and glycerin, leaving your hair with a smooth finish and a healthy texture.
- Moisturizing formula
- Makes hair manageable
- Rejuvenates and refreshes color
- Neutralizes brassy tones in all shades
- Suitable for all hair types
- The scent may be overpowering for some
5. Best For Frizzy Hair: Pantene Silver Expressions Gray, White And Silver Moisturizing Conditioner
Stand out in any crowd with your lustrous gray or silver hair. Enriched with vitamin E, this moisturizing conditioner maintains the scalp’s health and forms a protective lipid layer on the scalp. The biotin is an essential ingredient in this mix, which contains antioxidants and helps revive flexibility and add sheen to your tresses. Paraben and sulfate-free, this conditioner includes pro-vitamin B5 to help hair grow stronger and thicker.
- Tames unruly frizz
- Nourishing formula
- Paraben and sulfate-free
- Helps maintain scalp health and adds sheen
- Some may find it slightly greasy.
6. Best For Daily Use: Honeyskin Purple Dream Purple Hair Mask
Revive life in your dull and dry gray hair with this Honeyskin Purple Dream Purple Hair Mask. This deep conditioning mask will remove any unwanted brassy, orange, or yellow tones, leaving you with beautiful, shiny hair. It is formulated with aloe vera, bergamot oil, manuka honey, and jojoba seed oil and intensely moisturizes your hair down to the cuticle. It is also free of sulfates, parabens, and silicones, making it safe for everyday use. The best part about this product is that it contains white clay, which exfoliates the scalp without reducing natural oils.
- Reduces unwanted brassy, orange, or yellow tones
- Moisturizes hair
- Mineral oil-free
- Fragrance- free
- Hypoallergenic formula
- May need a second application to reduce brassy tones
7. Best For Dull Hair: Just Nutritive Gray Hair Shampoo
Pamper your hair with one of the best hair care products for gray hair. Protect your hair from turning brassy and dull and nourish it with this conditioner that contains natural ingredients like pomegranate extracts, avocado oil, and black currant seed oil. They combat the harmful effects of sun rays and chlorine and revive the vibrancy of gray hair. It also includes guava, and clover flower extracts, to help hydrate scalp and hair while removing the excess dirt and oil.
- Softens and nourishes hair
- Revives vibrancy
- Doesn’t weigh hair down
- Makes hair manageable
- May not be suitable for oily hair type
8. Best Moisturizing Formula: Dr. Fischer Silver Shades Platinum Gray Shampoo
This shampoo enriched with the goodness of almond and chamomile enhances hair color and promotes hair growth. If your hair lacks moisture, consider adding this product to your hair routine as it contains vitamin E, which ensures healthy, hydrated hair. This Dr. Fischer Silver Shades Platinum Gray Shampoo also neutralizes the yellow deposits, leaving behind shiny and radiant gray/silver hair. With the added benefit of pro-vitamin B5, it locks in moisture and improves hair manageability and texture.
- Enhances hair color
- Promotes hair growth
- Hydrates and provides moisture
- Makes hair more manageable
- The scent may be overpowering for some.
9. Best For All Hair Types: By The Way, Your Hair Looks Fabulous! Purple Shampoo
Tone down brassiness in your hair with this gentle cleansing formula made of a blend of avocado oil, sunflower seed oil, and argan oil. This By The Way, Your Hair Looks Fabulous! Purple Shampoo removes yellow and brassy tones, giving you bright silky gray or silver hair. This nourishing formula has a lovely, light fragrance and is ideal for all hair types. It includes argan oil abundant in fatty acids, and vitamin E to prevent dryness and reduce fizziness.
- Deeply moisturizing
- Plant-based formula
- No sulfates, parabens, silicones, phthalates and synthetic fillers
- Suitable for all hair types
- May not be suitable for sensitive scalps
10. Best Alcohol-Free: Rusk Deepshine PlatinumX Mouse
Is your gray losing its natural sheen due to the rough waters and sun damage? Well, it is time you invested in a styling spray that shields your hair. It works great on gray, silver, platinum or blonde hair by boosting the brightness of your hair color and removes brassy tones. This lightweight, alcohol-free styling foam is gentle on the hair and restores shine to your hair color with the help of glycol.
- Adds volume
- Lightweight formula
- Enhances hair texture
- The hold may not be long-lasting.
Now that you are all caught up on the best products for gray hair, here’s a look at how you can pick one that works for you best.
How To Choose Products For Gray Hair?
Here are a few things to keep in mind before purchasing a product for your gray hair.
- Consider your hair type
If you have a dry scalp, choose shampoos that offer intense moisturization, such as the Bold Uniq Purple Conditioner and Honeyskin Purple Dream. It contains ingredients like aloe vera, bergamot oil, manuka honey and jojoba seed oil which lock in moisture and provide ample hydration. If your hair becomes greasy 2 days after shampooing, find yourself a shampoo that cleanses the excess oils on your scalp. You can use the Just Nutritive Gray Hair Shampoo if you have an oily scalp as it contains exfoliating ingredients that wash away the excess oil.
- Check the ingredients
Stay off heavy formulas that use waxes and pomade bases, as they may cause more harm than good. Instead, use products with ingredients such as bergamot oil, manuka honey, avocado, and jojoba seed oil, as they provide moisture and encourage hair growth. You can opt for products with plant-based oils in their ingredient list as they are better for nourishment and hydration, like coconut oil or argan oil. Amino acids are also great for grey hair as they help maintain a healthy pH balance and strengthen hair strands.
- Stay away from harsh chemicals
Harsh chemicals are a big no-no to gray/silver colored hair. Gray hair may already feel dry, and lacklustre due to the lack of hydration and exposing them to harsh chemicals may strip away more moisture. Avoid shampoos and conditioners with parabens, sulfates, silicones, and mineral oils. You can try the purple shampoo from By The Way, Your Hair Looks Fabulous!.
How To Care For Gray Hair
Here are a few things you can do to make sure you have healthy gray hair.
- Satin pillow: Wondering why your hair is drying out so soon, despite your hair care routine? Well, blame the cotton pillow that is absorbing your hair natural oils and moisture, leaving you with frizzy hair in the morning. Sleep on a silk pillow, or just cover your regular pillow with a satin scarf to avoid breakage due to drying.
- Heat protection: Gray hair burns easily due to its texture, hence you must use a heat protecting product before using your blow dryer or flat iron styling tool to avoid heat damage. Also, make sure you wear a hat or cover your hair with a scarf when you step out to prevent sun damage.
- Nourishment: Watch your diet and make sure you are getting your protein fill to avoid thinning of hair. As your hair turns gray, you may also experience hair loss and the only way to put a cap on it is by eating healthy and using hair products with nourishing plant-based formulas.
Hormonal changes, environmental aggressors, and other factors like aging can turn your hair gray. But such hair needs nourishment to stay healthy. And especially if you are using styling tools on your hair, you need additional pampering. Whether it’s a mask, conditioner, or shampoo, the best products for gray hair listed above soften your hair strands, nourish them, revive vibrancy, and hydrate the tresses. Some hair products also promote hair growth, enhance hair texture and provide moisture, and tame unruly frizz. In addition, some hair products neutralize the yellow and brassy tones highlighting your silver hair strands. It would be best to invest in the hair products that keep your hair strands conditioned. Avoid products loaded with paraben or other harmful chemicals as they harm your hair. And flaunt your voluminous, silky, shiny, and smooth gray hair!
Why Trust StyleCraze?
The author, Kirtana Divakar, is a hair care enthusiast eager to try different hair care products. She runs thorough research backed with feedback and reviews to bring forth the best products for gray hair. The hair care products listed above can neutralize unwanted hues, nourish your hair, and condition your hair. In addition, these gray hair care products can also make your hair manageable.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does gray hair need a special shampoo?
Yes, gray hair is naturally dry. So, use a non-dying shampoo free of sulfate and paraben to cleanse gray hair.
How do you keep your gray hair moisturized?
Deep conditioning and hair mask treatment with deep moisturizing qualities of natural butter and oils, such as shea butter, olive oil, or coconut oil, help moisturize gray hair.
Is blue or purple shampoo better for gray hair?
Purple hair is better for gray hair as it removes the yellow tones and brightens the gray hair.
How often can you use purple shampoo on gray hair?
Use purple shampoo on your gray hair once a week.
What happens when you put toner on gray hair?
Toner will help neutralize the yellow tones of the gray hair.
- Best Shampoos For Grey Hair
- Best Sulfate-Free Shampoos For Gray Hair
- Stunning Hair Color Shades To Cover Gray Hair
- Best Gray Hair Dyes For Gorgeous Silver Hair