The first gray hair you spot is a rite of passage, a reminder that you are turning wiser and are blessed to be on this beautiful journey of a life lived well. However, when you turn all gray, it makes you wonder if there is anything you can do to ensure you have healthy-looking, natural gray hair. Well, the answer is, of course, you can.
Today’s beauty world has an abundance of hair care products for gray and silver strands, which boost volume, add shine, and deeply nourish your beautiful tresses. Also, if Meryl Steep could slay gray hair in the Devil Wears Prada, so can you! We have scoured the deepest end of the Internet to find the 10 best products for gray hair. So, if you’re on the lookout for products that significantly nourish your grey hair while maintaining vibrancy, our list could be of great help. So, what’s the holdup? Pick a product that works best for your gray hair today.
Top 10 Products For Gray Hair
Are regular conditioners damaging the texture and color of your grey hair? Well, ditch them and condition your gray locks with this Redken Color Extend Graydiant Silver Conditioner. This conditioner deposits pigments of silver onto your hair strands to add sheen and improve vibrancy. The formula is infused with citric acid and lactic acid, and tames unruly strands and rebalances your hair’s texture. It also contains amino acids, which makes the hair more manageable and easier to style.
- Strengthens hair 2x stronger
- Nourishing formula
- Enriched with amino acids
- Removes yellow and brassy undertones
- Formula may be a bit heavy
Enriched with violet anti-yellow pigments, this Fanola No Yellow Hair Mask neutralizes unwanted yellow hues, leaving behind cool, ashy, and vibrant tones. If you areworried about dry and brittle hair, this product doubles as a great conditioner as it contains shea butter and castor oil. Sulfate, paraben, and silicone-free, this mask not only nourishes your tresses but also detangles them. This mask is enriched with citric acid, which helps maintain the natural pH of your scalp.
- Neutralizes unwanted yellow hues
- Doubles as a conditioner
- Nourishes and detangles hair
- 100% vegan
- Sulfate, silicone, and paraben-free
- Pleasant scent
- Offers silky soft hair
- May not be suitable for sensitive scalps
Here’s a Godsent conditioner for those with gray and silver hair. Not only does this product remove brassy and yellow tones, but it also detangles knots, and repairs split ends. This conditioner for gray hair contains jojoba oil, aloe vera juice, and coconut oil, which helps moisturize hair, tame frizz, and offer a silky, shiny finish. Other ingredients such as Brazil nut seed oil, are rich in omega 6 and fatty acids and help condition the hair naturally, leaving it soft and smooth. All ingredients are ethically-sourced, and the packaging is made from 100% ocean waste plastic.
- Removes brassy and yellow tones
- Reduces frizz
- 100% cruelty-free formula
- Free of parabens and sulfates
- Ethically sourced ingredients
- Some may find the formula greasy
Is your gray hair losing its shine and texture? We suggest you use this gentle conditioner from Aveda. Enriched with high-quality ingredients, it smoothes your tresses and adds brightness. This hair product for gray hair includes deeply conditioning ingredients like coconut oil, rapeseed oil, and hydrolyzed wheat protein. They are abundant in fatty acids, penetrate deep into the scalp and shaft, and provide moisture. The formula is enriched with extracts of mallow, sweet almond, cornflower, wild cherry bark, and glycerin, leaving your hair with a smooth finish and a healthy texture.
- Moisturizing formula
- Makes hair manageable
- Rejuvenates and refreshes color
- Neutralizes brassy tones in all shades
- Suitable for all hair types
- The scent may be overpowering for some
Stand out in any crowd with your lustrous gray or silver hair. Enriched with vitamin E, this moisturizing conditioner maintains the scalp’s health and forms a protective lipid layer on the scalp. The biotin is an essential ingredient in this mix, which contains antioxidants and helps revive flexibility and add sheen to your tresses. Paraben and sulfate-free, this conditioner includes pro-vitamin B5 to help hair grow stronger and thicker.
- Tames unruly frizz
- Nourishing formula
- Paraben and sulfate-free
- Helps maintain scalp health and adds sheen
- Some may find it slightly greasy.
Revive life in your dull and dry gray hair with this Honeyskin Purple Dream Purple Hair Mask. This deep conditioning mask will remove any unwanted brassy, orange, or yellow tones, leaving you with beautiful, shiny hair. It is formulated with aloe vera, bergamot oil, manuka honey, and jojoba seed oil and intensely moisturizes your hair down to the cuticle. It is also free of sulfates, parabens, and silicones, making it safe for everyday use. The best part about this product is that it contains white clay, which exfoliates the scalp without reducing natural oils.
- Reduces unwanted brassy, orange, or yellow tones
- Moisturizes hair
- Mineral oil-free
- Fragrance- free
- Hypoallergenic formula
- May need a second application to reduce brassy tones
Pamper your hair with one of the best hair care products for gray hair. Protect your hair from turning brassy and dull and nourish it with this conditioner that contains natural ingredients like pomegranate extracts, avocado oil, and black currant seed oil. They combat the harmful effects of sun rays and chlorine and revive the vibrancy of gray hair. It also includes guava, and clover flower extracts, to help hydrate scalp and hair while removing the excess dirt and oil.
- Softens and nourishes hair
- Revives vibrancy
- Doesn’t weigh hair down
- Makes hair manageable
- May not be suitable for oily hair type
This shampoo enriched with the goodness of almond and chamomile enhances hair color and promotes hair growth. If your hair lacks moisture, consider adding this product to your hair routine as it contains vitamin E, which ensures healthy, hydrated hair. This Dr. Fischer Silver Shades Platinum Gray Shampoo also neutralizes the yellow deposits, leaving behind shiny and radiant gray/silver hair. With the added benefit of pro-vitamin B5, it locks in moisture and improves hair manageability and texture.
- Enhances hair color
- Promotes hair growth
- Hydrates and provides moisture
- Makes hair more manageable
- The scent may be overpowering for some.
Tone down brassiness in your hair with this gentle cleansing formula made of a blend of avocado oil, sunflower seed oil, and argan oil. This By The Way, Your Hair Looks Fabulous! Purple Shampoo removes yellow and brassy tones, giving you bright silky gray or silver hair. This nourishing formula has a lovely, light fragrance and is ideal for all hair types. It includes argan oil abundant in fatty acids, and vitamin E to prevent dryness and reduce fizziness.
- Deeply moisturizing
- Plant-based formula
- No sulfates, parabens, silicones, phthalates and synthetic fillers
- Suitable for all hair types
- May not be suitable for sensitive scalps
Is your gray losing its natural sheen due to the rough waters and sun damage? Well, it is time you invested in a styling spray that shields your hair. It works great on gray, silver, platinum or blonde hair by boosting the brightness of your hair color and removes brassy tones. This lightweight, alcohol-free styling foam is gentle on the hair and restores shine to your hair color with the help of glycol.
- Adds volume
- Lightweight formula
- Enhances hair texture
- The hold may not be long-lasting.
Now that you are all caught up on the best products for gray hair, here’s a look at how you can pick one that works for you best.
How To Choose Products For Gray Hair?
Here are a few things to keep in mind before purchasing a product for your gray hair.
- Consider your hair type
If you have a dry scalp, choose shampoos that offer intense moisturization, such as the Bold Uniq Purple Conditioner and Honeyskin Purple Dream. It contains ingredients like aloe vera, bergamot oil, manuka honey and jojoba seed oil which lock in moisture and provide ample hydration. If your hair becomes greasy 2 days after shampooing, find yourself a shampoo that cleanses the excess oils on your scalp. You can use the Just Nutritive Gray Hair Shampoo if you have an oily scalp as it contains exfoliating ingredients that wash away the excess oil.
- Check the ingredients
Stay off heavy formulas that use waxes and pomade bases, as they may cause more harm than good. Instead, use products with ingredients such as bergamot oil, manuka honey, avocado, and jojoba seed oil, as they provide moisture and encourage hair growth. You can opt for products with plant-based oils in their ingredient list as they are better for nourishment and hydration, like coconut oil or argan oil. Amino acids are also great for grey hair as they help maintain a healthy pH balance and strengthen hair strands.
- Stay away from harsh chemicals
Harsh chemicals are a big no-no to gray/silver colored hair. Gray hair may already feel dry, and lacklustre due to the lack of hydration and exposing them to harsh chemicals may strip away more moisture. Avoid shampoos and conditioners with parabens, sulfates, silicones, and mineral oils. You can try the purple shampoo from By The Way, Your Hair Looks Fabulous!.
How To Care For Gray Hair
Here are a few things you can do to make sure you have healthy gray hair.
- Satin pillow: Wondering why your hair is drying out so soon, despite your hair care routine? Well, blame the cotton pillow that is absorbing your hair natural oils and moisture, leaving you with frizzy hair in the morning. Sleep on a silk pillow, or just cover your regular pillow with a satin scarf to avoid breakage due to drying.
- Heat protection: Gray hair burns easily due to its texture, hence you must use a heat protecting product before using your blow dryer or flat iron styling tool to avoid heat damage. Also, make sure you wear a hat or cover your hair with a scarf when you step out to prevent sun damage.
- Nourishment: Watch your diet and make sure you are getting your protein fill to avoid thinning of hair. As your hair turns gray, you may also experience hair loss and the only way to put a cap on it is by eating healthy and using hair products with nourishing plant-based formulas.
If you have been struggling to hide your hair turning gray with age, the most liberating thing you can do is embrace your natural hair color and learn to take care of it. Once you stop fretting over turning gray, you can finally devote your time, ensuring you have healthy hair. Also, hey, there is nothing as beautiful as aging gracefully and having voluminous, silky, smooth, and shiny gray hair. Start by identifying the issues plaguing your hair; be it hair loss or texture or just thinning, there is a solution to every problem. You have to be on a path where you love your natural hair color and embrace its health journey. We hope our guide to the 10 best products for gray hair helps you find a product that makes you fall in love with your hair all over again.
Latest posts by Kirtana Divakar (see all)
- 11 Best Cruelty-Free Tinted Moisturizers For Flawless Skin In 2021 - February 24, 2021
- 15 Best Neck Creams For Firm Skin In 2021 - February 22, 2021
- 10 Best Benzoyl Peroxide Body Washes For Clear Skin In 2021 - February 16, 2021
- 10 Best Carrier Oils For Skin That Are Worth Trying In 2021 - February 12, 2021
- 8 Best Body Washes For Keratosis Pilaris To Achieve Smooth Skin - February 8, 2021