Sculpting a strong, chiseled back requires a lot of hard work. But if you use the best back machine for exercises, things might feel a tad easier. Also called a back extension machine or Roman chair, it’s designed to assist you with isolation exercises that target your abs, hip muscles, and lower back. The device facilitates bending at the waist as well as the hips to burn fat from your lower torso, making you slimmer. Whether you’re working for the coveted V-shape in men or hourglass figure in women, a back machine will be critical in your fitness journey.
However, it’s essential to choose one that’s sturdy and well-made. To help you out, here are 13 recommendations for the best back machines of 2022. Scroll down!
Note: Avoid using a back machine if you have mild lower back pain or lumbar spine pain. Avoid using it at all costs if you have a lower back injury or a slipped disc.
In This Article
The 13 Best Back Machines Of 2022
The Teeter Dex II Decompression And Extension Machine is a versatile, forward-rotating, hip-supported inversion device. It helps strengthen the lower back, improves full-body muscle tone, and can be used to get relief from back pain.
It is made of plastic and steel and provides the stability you need to workout safely. You can exercise in various positions to target your lower back and strengthen you back without over-extending your back and hamstrings. This back extension equipment reduces the risk of a lower back injury. It is designed to add comfort to your workout.
The large padded vinyl lap cushion is adjustable height-wise and offers stability and support. The ergonomic rollers with adjustable depth ensure secure leg hold while you are in an inverted position. The handles are designed to support various exercises and are rubber-coated to prevent slipping.
You can easily perform modified push-ups and inverted dips. The best part is, this brand is FDA-registered, gives a 5-year warranty, supports a maximum weight of 300 lbs, and is adjustable for users between 4’8″ – 6’6″ tall.
- Stable and sturdy
- Suitable for core, upper body, and lower back workouts.
- Helps stretch the back and reduce pain.
- Does not overextend the lower back.
- Reduces the risk of lower back injury.
- Supports many different workouts.
- Strengthens lower back.
- Ergonomic, adjustable leg rollers
- Adjustable padded vinyl lap cushion
- FDA-registered brand
- Rubber-coated handles provide good grip.
- Secure leg hold
- Gives full-body support
- Supports a maximum of 300 lbs weight.
- Adjustable for users with 4’8″ – 6’6″ of height.
- Difficult to get in and out of the machine.
- Could be uncomfortable on the upper thighs.
- Takes a lot of floor space.
- May cause lower back pain for people who are shorter.
Shape your back, abs, chest, core, hamstrings with the Finer Form Multi-functional Bench. You can use this versatile machine as a roman chair, sit-up bench, flat bench, or a decline bench for a full-body workout. It is made of heavy-duty steel material in a triangle structure and comes with a scratch-resistant powder-coated finish. This equipment can bear up to 400 pounds of weight.
You can use it for sit-ups, flat bench, chest presses, decline bench, and hyperextensions. The gym station comes with 8 thigh support adjustments and 4 foot adjustments. In addition, it has non-skid floor supports to provide stability. The bench comes with a workout chart containing several varied exercises that you can perform on the bench and get your desired shape. Watch this video to learn more about the Finer Form Multi-functional Bench.
- Stable and strong
- Adjustable footrest
- Triangular shape for good stability
- Supports full-body workout
- Easy to assemble
- 1 flat and 2 decline bench settings
- Strengthens your core, abs, hamstrings, lower back, and abdomen
- Comes with a free digital workout chart
The Stamina Pro Ab/Hyper Bench is a multipurpose equipment. It comes with a bench along with a back extensor. Hence, you can do crunches, oblique crunches, and grab two dumbbells or free weights to comfortably sit or lie down to do shoulder press, chest press, overhead presses or bench push-ups, hip thrusts, tricep dips, bent-over rows, and split squats.
The heavy-duty 2″ steel frame construction and thickly padded bench with a durable stitched vinyl upholstery provide support and stability when you do intense workouts. The foam-lined rollers lock the legs and support the calves as you crunch forward or to the side. The thigh support ensures your safety and increases stability and balance. The best part is, the footrest is also adjustable, thereby supporting a range of heights.
The bench that comes with this equipment can be adjusted to four positions and helps maintain a stable spine position. Its compact, foldable design makes it easy to store and fits in a small space as well.
- Stable and sturdy
- Multipurpose equipment
- Heavy-duty 2″ steel frame construction
- Thickly padded bench with durable stitched vinyl upholstery.
- Can perform total body exercises.
- High-density foam pads support and withstand intense workouts.
- Adjustable footrest
- Foam rollers support and lock legs for stability.
- Bench is adjustable to 4 positions.
- The height of footrest is adjustable.
- Foldable and easy to store.
- May not support heavier weights.
The Sunny Health & Fitness Hyperextension Roman Chair is a 45-degree back extension workout equipment. It targets the lower back and glutes.
At 39” x 24” x 33”, the design is sleek, but the steel frame makes it stable and sturdy. You can increase core strength without hyperextending your back and risking lower back injury. The high-density foam rollers lock the leg and provide calf support while you workout. This machine has stabilizers to increase the stability of the equipment as you workout.
The floor levelers help you perform back exercises without the equipment wobbling on an uneven floor. The thigh support pad is height adjustable (you can adjust it according to your height). This back extension machine is foldable, and you can store it easily in a corner. It supports a maximum weight of 250 lbs.
- Targets lower back, core, and hips
- Steel frame – sturdy and stable
- Sleek design
- Stabilizers and floor levelers make it wobble-proof.
- Adjustable thigh support
- Foam calf support
- Does not hyperextend the lower back.
- Foldable and easy to store.
- Supports up to 250 lbs weight.
- Limited number of exercises can be performed.
- Does not support shorter heights.
- Assembling can be difficult.
- Heavy to carry for women.
Strengthen your lower back and get an envious shapely figure with the NJ508 Roman Chair. This roman chair also strengthens the spine and abdominal muscles, improves blood circulation, and relieves pain. The equipment comes with a thick cushion and foam rollers for a comfortable workout. It is constructed using heavy-duty steel with a powder-coated finish that makes it long-lasting.
The height adjustment feature makes the device suitable for different heights. You can also adjust the space between cushions. Anti-slip metal footpads and leather pad belly provide a good grip during workouts, and the machine can support weight up to 275 lbs.
- Non-slip pedal
- Comfortable leg foam
- Leather belly pad
- Easy to assemble
- Well-padded for comfort of exercising
- Adjustable product height limit till 37’’
- Has a 45-degree tilt
- Does not support heavier weights
- Quality issues
A good back extension machine should have a multiple adjustment setting. The ComMax Romain chair is one such adjustable back machine. It has 3 incline settings – 30-40-50 degrees.
The main back steel rod can also be adjusted in seven settings according to your height. The 1.6” support pads with handlebars provide support and comfort while you perform exercises. The leg foams hold your body stable while you perform crunches.The back machine is designed to ensure a full range of motion while your body is in an incline position. It is a great piece of workout equipment that targets various muscle groups. It strengthens and tones the abs, glutes, lower back, and hamstrings. It is foldable and can be easily stored in a small space. It supports up to 300 lbs of weight.
- 3 incline settings
- 7 adjustable height settings
- Stable and sturdy
- 6” thigh pad provides cushion and support.
- Allows full range of motion.
- Works on the abs, glutes, thighs, and lower back.
- Foldable and can be easily stored.
- Supports a maximum weight of 300 lbs.
- Does not support heavier weights.
- Not suitable for tall people.
The Body-Solid Back Hyper Extension is perfect for home gym and commercial use. Its 2″x 3″ heavy-gauge steel body and extra-thick 3-inch durafirm thigh support pad make this back extensor uniquely stable and sturdy.
You can perform crunches, stretches, and oblique crunches to tone and strengthen your core, lower back, and glutes. It also improves your flexibility and circulation and may relieve lower back pain.
- 2″x 3″ heavy-gauge steel body
- Stable and sturdy
- Improves your flexibility and circulation.
- Strengthens and tones the abs, lower back, and glutes.
- Can be used at home or in a commercial gym.
- Can be used to rehab lower back pain.
- No supporting calf foam rolls.
- May not be totally comfortable for all kinds of exercises.
- May hyperextend the lower back.
- Not for people over 5’10”.
- Assembly may take time.
- Does not offer value for money.
The Body-Solid Powerline Hyperextension Bench is a combination of inverted back extension and oblique flexor set at an exact 45-degree angle. The inverted 45-degree angle helps release tension in your back and body. You can safely and comfortably strengthen and tone your abs, lower back, and glutes.
The 4” double-stitched, telescoping midsection pads are adjustable for users of all sizes. The bench has an oversized 8” foam roller to hold your legs firmly and give you the needed support to work on your core.
- Combination of inverted back extension and oblique flexor set at an exact 45-degree angle.
- Helps strengthen, tone, and improve flexibility.
- Improves circulation
- Releases fatigue
- Works on abs, lower back, and glutes
- 4” mid-section adjustable pads provide cushion and comfort.
- Can withstand an intense workout.
- 8” foam rollers lock the legs and prevent falls.
- Assembly takes time.
The Goplus Adjustable Roman Chair is made of heavy-duty steel and thickened steel pipe. It is sturdy and gives optimal support for sit-ups, lateral flexion, and push-ups. It targets the muscles of the lower back, abs, thighs, and glutes.
It has five adjustable points (from 28.7” – 23.5”) for increasing or decreasing height. The 1.5” wide thigh support pad provides support to your body, and the foam rollers prevent your legs from slipping. Each foot is encased with rubber caps that allow you to workout with more stability along with protecting the floor. This machine has a maximum weight-bearing capacity of 330 lbs.
- Sturdy frame
- Good for toning and strengthening the abs, lower back, thighs, and glutes.
- 5 point adjustable height
- 5” wide thigh support pad
- Foam rollers for leg support and body stabilization.
- Rubber caps protect the floor.
- Maximum weight bearing capacity is 330 lbs.
- May not withstand heavier weights.
- Assembly can take time.
The Marcy Adjustable Hyperextension Roman Chair is made of a durable metal frame that can bear weight up to 300 pounds. It has a thick padded back that allows you to achieve wide positions and strengthen the muscles. You can use this equipment for abdominal exercises and lower back exercises. Padded assist handles provide a good grip to hold.
You can adjust the ankle pads to different heights to suit your comfort. This hyperextension bench also helps to improve your posture by strengthening the core and back muscles. Moreover, it offers a wide range of motion and is pretty easy to assemble. Additionally, the tube framing with a powder-coated finish makes it a sturdy and durable product. Go through this video for a detailed demo of the Marcy Adjustable Hyperextension Roman Chair.
- Non-slip foot cover
- Durable frame
- Adjustable height
- Strengthens the core and erases back pain
- Helps to build six-pack abs
- Sleek and ergonomic design
- Compact frame makes it a space-saving equipment
- Supports maximum weight up to 300 lbs
- Well-padded for comfort and stability during workouts
Menciro Roman Chair is ergonomically designed in a triangular frame of premium quality steel. It comes with a height adjustment feature to suit multiple exercises within the range of 23.5 inches -28.7 inches. The equipment can bear weight up to 330 pounds. Additionally it has a 1.5-inch wide pad to protect your back and add comfort during exercising.
You can use this roman chair for sit-ups, push-ups, and other back exercises. The different workout exercises increase your range of motion and flexibility while improving your circulation for overall health benefits. The legs of this machine come with a plastic foot cover to provide stability.
- 5-level height adjustable feature
- Versatile workouts
- Stable and durable
- Soft and durable foam
- Improves range of motion and flexibility
- Strengthens core and lower back
- Supports weight up to 330 lbs
- Comes with a installation tutorial
- Difficult to assemble
The Synergee Romanexercise chair offers safe workouts and encourages gymnastic movements and solid lifts. This equipment is constructed using 15 gauge alloy steel with a visually appealing red powder coating. It can bear a weight of 250 pounds. In addition, the machine is provided with padded rollers and rubber feet for additional comfort.
You can also adjust the height of the chair between 29.5’’- 34.5’’. It comes with an angled design that takes less space and allows easy storage. In addition, it offers quick and hassle-free customer service with free replacements in case of any valid issues with your machine.
- 7-level height adjustment feature
- Easy to store
- Sturdy steel frame
- Comfortable padding
- Minimal assembly time
- Downloadable assembly guide
- Offers great tricep dips
- Strengthens core and lower back muscles
Vanswe Adjustable Multifunctional Bench is made with a high-density foam cushion, high-grade steel with a scratch-resistant powder finish, and an adjustable leg hold-down bar. The thick roller pads offer the user stability and comfort. You can use this bench for multiple workouts to strengthen your core, abs, and muscle. This bench is suitable for dumbbell curls, shoulder presses, bench presses, dips, and more.
The equipment comes with transportation wheels that allow you to move it smoothly for easy storage. In addition, it has a 2’’ thick cushion for the midsection and 2.6’’ thick pad for maximum comfort to the back. The 4’’ roller pads also provide added comfort and have 2 levels of adjustment. Additionally, it is quite easy to assemble and maneuver.
- Strong and stable construction
- Ergonomic design
- Supports weight up to 650 lbs
- User height range is 5’’-6’4’’
- 1 flat and 3 decline bench adjustments
- 10 thigh support adjustments
- Stability issues
These are the 13 best back machines of 2021 you may consider buying. Here are the other types of back machines.
Types Of Back Machines
- Roman Chairs – Roman chairs are best for hyperextension exercises. These are basically back machines that help strengthen and tone the lower back, abs, obliques, and also target the hamstrings and glutes.
- Traction Beds – These are best suitable for decompression therapy and rehabilitation. They help accelerate the recovery process, improve circulation, and increase mobility. Traction beds come with waistbands and ankle locks to ensure double safety.
If you are still not sure which back machine to buy, the following checklist could help.
What To Look For In A Back Machine – Buying Guide
Construction – Check if the back machine is constructed well and made of durable material, especially if you want to use it regularly or are tall and/or strong. Heavy gauge steel with a broad frame is best. Check if the back machine is foldable and has an adjustable height.
Stability – The last thing you want is to fall on your face and injure yourself. Hence, assess the stability of the machine in the first few uses. Check if it has enough padding, rubber encased feet, broad frame, and a lower center of gravity.
Range Of Motion – If you want to invest in a back machine, it better be versatile. See if it allows you to target various muscle groups. A back machine with an adjustable bench and multiple points for adjustable height is best. It should allow you to perform at least three types of exercises to improve strength, flexibility, circulation, and reduce fatigue.
Back machines are notorious for causing lower back issues. If you do not have a spotter or a personal trainer to guide you, you will end up hyperextending your lower back and may face irrevocable injury. You must maintain proper form while using this back extension machine. Avoid using it if you are a beginner or have a lower back issue. Do not use this machine without proper guidance from a licensed trainer.
The best back extension machines are your one-stop solution for achieving a well-sculpted back by eliminating the fat from the back and hips. These extension machines also help strengthen the core and lower back muscles, tone your muscles, and improve posture. They are available in two types—Roman chairs and traction beds. These machines are adjustable, easy to store, and provide a comfortable workout experience. Assembling the product can be tricky, but most brands provide a detailed help guide.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
Aditi Naskar, the author of this article, has a diploma in health and wellness and is a fitness enthusiast. She recommends back machines for a chiseled and strong back. She conducted thorough research and shortlisted the products mentioned in the list after reviewing a host of reliable user feedback on various online forums for her readers. These machines give you a perfect balance of sturdiness, comfort, and effectiveness.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is back muscle hard to build?
Yes. Overall strength and v-shaped muscle is a key to muscular development. But building a powerful v-shaped back is not easy because back musculature is complex and hard to build.
What gym equipment helps the lower back?
The elliptical exercise equipment is the first choice for the lower back. The machines feature separate foot platforms to smoothly move back and forth and glide easily. Therefore, they are ideal for people with chronic low back pain.
What machine targets the lower back?
A back extension machine like a Roman chair targets lower-back muscles, primarily the erector’s spine. It supports your lower body while performing the action, like reclining face-down, and facilitates flexing at the waist targeting lower back muscles.
What machine works back fat?
Elliptical machines, featuring upright handlebars that move to and fro, effectively reduce back fat, burn extra calories, and tone the body in one workout.
How often should you work out your back muscles?
Unlike other muscles in your body, you can perform back exercises only two consecutive days a week. If you are lifting heavy weights, perform only six to eight repetitions. You require three to four days of rest before performing the exercise again.
- Best Back Stretchers To Relieve Back Pain
- 9 Benefits Of Rowing Machine Exercises
- est Ab Exercise Equipments You Can Try
- Best Exercises For Upper Back Pain