9 Best Knee Braces For People Who Are Overweight – Reviews And Buying Guide
Now your chronic knee pain could be a thing of the past.
Human skeletons are designed in a way to support the body weight, but when it exceeds the average body weight, it exerts pressure on your knees and causes pain. One way to fight it is to invest in the best knee brace for overweight people to support your knees and reduce chronic pain. People who are obese exert force on the knee cartilage, which affects their mobility adversely. Even simple activities like walking, taking stairs, and jogging become a nightmare. The excess body fat also makes people susceptible to knee osteoarthritis. Using compression sleeves and knee braces provides stability to your knees and are medically acknowledged as a precautionary aid to stay safe from knee injuries. Leading companies are working on plus-size knee braces to keep the support of overweight people in mind. They ensure a comfortable fit to allow a person to do every activity normally. These are a must for people whose knees could become damaged due to the prolonged pressure on them. They are made flexible to restrict unwanted movement that could potentially damage the knee. Here are the top 10 plus-size knee braces in the industry that will support your knee at the right time. Go through the list to select the one you feel will go perfectly according to your body. They also come with a buying guide to help you make the right decision.
- 1 Best Lightweight Knee Brace Brace Direct Plus Size Obesity Compression Knee Wrap Bracedirect $64.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $64.99 ON AMAZON
- 2 Best Breathable Material BraceAbility Obesity Knee Pain Brace Braceability $59.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $59.99 ON AMAZON
- 3 Best Adjustable Compression BraceAbility 6XL Plus Size Knee Brace Braceability $34.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $34.99 ON AMAZON
- 4 Best Durable Option Nvorliy Plus Size Knee Brace $34.98 ON AMAZON Read More › $34.98 ON AMAZON
- 5 Best Anti-Slip Support Cambivo Knee Compression Sleeves Cambivo $16.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $16.99 ON AMAZON
- 6 Best Flexible Material EzyFit Knee Brace Ezyfit $24.95 ON AMAZON Read More › $24.95 ON AMAZON
- 7 Best Comfortable Fit Shock Doctor Hinged Knee Brace Shockdoctor $74.99 ON AMAZON Read More › $74.99 ON AMAZON
- 8 Best Hypoallergenic Material DonJoy Tru-Pull Lite Knee Support Brace Djoglobal $57.79 ON AMAZON Read More › $57.79 ON AMAZON
- 9 Best Sweat-Absorbing Fabric VieVibrante Plus Size Knee Brace $39.87 ON AMAZON Read More › $39.87 ON AMAZON
In This Article
10 Best Knee Brace For People Who Are Overweight
Best Lightweight Knee Brace:Brace Direct Plus Size Obesity Compression Knee Wrap
The Brace Direct Plus Size Obesity Compression Knee Wrap is made of premium-grade latex-free neoprene that is soft, lightweight, and comfortable. It fits snugly and can be worn under pants without any discomfort. It is great for people with large legs or large thighs. As the sleeve applies compression and warmth to the knee joint, it helps in reducing swelling and pain. This makes standing and walking easier and convenient. It can be used for knee-related issues such as knee sprains, knee arthritis, patella and ligament issues, joint instability, and lateral meniscus tears. It comes with removable motion hinges for constant compression and a comfortable fit for easy movements.
- Provides warmth and relief to sore or stiff knee joints
- Improves blood flow to your knee
- Suitable for treating conditions like arthritis, patella pain, knee sprains, or strains
- Eases daily activities such as walking
- Removable range of motion hinges
- May not have true size
Best Breathable Material:BraceAbility Obesity Knee Pain Brace
BraceAbility Obesity Knee Pain Brace is specially made to ease pain caused by degenerative joint conditions and post-surgery recovery. It is constructed from neoprene, a breathable, lightweight, and comfortable material. It can be worn on the right or the left leg. Its heavy-duty hinges give you support and stability to relieve general obesity-related knee joint pain. The open back helps in increasing mobility and prevents the brace from bunching as you bend. This makes it really comfortable to use during simple physical activities like walking, sitting, or standing. This hinged brace is useful when recovering from meniscus tears, muscle ligament injury, media /lateral instability, or mild knee osteoarthritis.
- Breathable, premium-grade neoprene
- Increases mobility
- Prevents sweat build-up
- Does not fall or bunch
- Heavy-duty hinges provide medial and lateral support and stability
- Helps in alleviating the pain associated with obesity and larger builds
- Prevents long-term, chronic knee pain
- Uncomfortable fit
Best Adjustable Compression:BraceAbility 6XL Plus Size Knee Brace
BraceAbility 6XL Plus Size Knee Brace has a front-closure that is great for recovery from damaged tendons, weak ligaments, torn meniscus, sprains, strains, and tendonitis. This brace is helpful for patients who want to be independent while performing physical activities. It is also useful for people with osteoarthritis, hyperextension, patellar tracking disorder, and post-surgery recovery. The knee brace has dual axis polycentric hinges to enhance stability in the inner and outer sides of the knee, thus providing extra support to people who are overweight. The circular cutout behind the knee prevents the brace from bunching when walking or bending. The lightweight open patella design helps in reducing the pressure on the knee cap. This plus-size brace is made with premium-grade neoprene and is more breathable and flexible than a solid knee sleeve. This thick material provides adjustable compression that promotes heat retention and flexibility and is perfect for playing sports or working out.
- Adjustable compression
- Improves flexibility
- Convenient front closure enables you to use it independently
- Medical-grade materials guarantee durability
- Does not stay up
Best Durable Option:Nvorliy Plus Size Knee Brace
Nvorliy Plus Size Knee Brace is designed to fit around large legs comfortably. It has six flexible metal springs that help support the knee ligaments. It also has an EVA pad that absorbs the shock and pressure on your patella or kneecap. Using this knee brace is helpful while walking or taking the stairs. The lightweight neoprene material is durable, antibacterial, and breathable. The 4 non-slip silicone strips distribute the compression evenly and make sure that the knee brace stays in place. The knee brace is reinforced with double stitching and has knee straps that can be adjusted to your desired compression level. This skin-friendly knee brace provides immediate relief to people who are recovering from inflammation, arthritis, tendonitis, knee surgery, knee swelling, meniscus tear, or serious knee injury.
- Comfortable and breathable material
- Provides immediate relief from pain
- Six flexible springs for extra support
- Adjustable straps to customize the pressure or compression level
- Bunches behind the knee and causes discomfort
Best Anti-Slip Support:Cambivo Knee Compression Sleeves
Cambivo Knee Compression Sleeves are made of 65% nylon, 20% latex, and 15% spandex with anti-slip silicone waves for extra comfort and stability. The 3D elastic weaving material is breathable and flexible so it fits easily. It supports the knee during physical activities like walking, sitting, or mild exercise. These knee sleeves can be used to manage pain, inflammation, and swelling when the knee is injured or recovering. It is a perfect accessory to use to absorb the pressure on your knee during sports like cycling, hiking, basketball, or football. It helps in reducing stress and recovering from any knee-related injury, like a hyperextended knee.
- Flexible and breathable fabric
- Reduces stress and swelling
- Allows faster recovery
- Suitable for all activities and exercises
- Aids in injury prevention
- Provides immediate pain relief
- Made with anti-slip material for extra support
- Improves blood circulation
- The sleeve keeps slipping
Best Flexible Material:EzyFit Knee Brace
The best feature of the EzyFit Knee Brace is that it comes in 3 different sizes that fit most body types. It is made with flexible neoprene material that fits around your knee easily. It has double-stitched curved edges for your comfort. The non-slip silicone gel lines keep the brace firmly in one place. The dual stabilizers on each side of the knee provide support and ensure flexibility. This knee brace also has 3 strong adjustable closures that allow you to customize the strength of the compression to your needs. This ensures ease of movement and the prevention of unwanted slippage. This knee brace is versatile as it can be used by sports enthusiasts, the elderly, and people who are overweight. It is even helpful for treating severe cases of a wounded or broken knee.
- Easy to wear
- Dual-action knee straps for stability
- Open patella for improved mobility
- Adjustable closures
- Does not slip
- Breathable neoprene material
- Available in 3 sizes
- Not very durable
Best Comfortable Fit:Shock Doctor Hinged Knee Brace
Shock Doctor Hinged Knee Brace provides maximum comfort and support. It prevents and protects the body from knee injuries, sprains, and hypertension. The heavy-duty bilateral dual hinges boost movement and provide incredible support. Its integrated aluminum stays, X-fit straps, and Hypalon sleeves add stability and hold the brace firmly in one place securely. The premium stitching ensures quality, and the lycra mesh helps in the accurate fitting. This knee brace is made with antibacterial text-vented neoprene that enhances airflow and keeps moisture, sweat, and odor away. Its compression improves blood circulation, which helps in healing soft tissues and joint alignments.
- Improves stability
- Made with premium-quality materials
- Compression helps in recovery and healing
- Boosts movement and flexibility
- Needs to be replaced quickly
Best Hypoallergenic Material:DonJoy Tru-Pull Lite Knee Support Brace
The DonJoy Tru-Pull Lite Knee Brace is made with the breathable material, Breath-O-Prene. This lightweight fabric is anti-microbial and hypoallergenic. The brace provides support to the patella (kneecap) for mild to moderate patellar dislocations. It also has pull straps and removable plastic hinges that help in anchoring the knee brace securely. These pull straps are placed above and below the knee cap to mimic the flexion and extension motions that realign the patella. This is particularly helpful in reducing the pain caused by the dislocation of the kneecap. The knee brace is popular among athletes and runners. It is useful for people who are overweight as they need extra support for their knees.
- Made with antibacterial and hypoallergenic material
- Ideal for runners and recreational athletes
Best Sweat-Absorbing Fabric:VieVibrante Plus Size Knee Brace
VieVibrante Plus Size Knee Brace is specially designed for plus-size individuals as it provides extra support and comfort to the knee. It does not slip or roll down as it has anti-sliding strips and two D-rings that secure the brace with their locking mechanism. There is an alternative extra back strap that provides stability and two metal stabilizers and four metal springs that improve mobility and flexibility. The wrap-around design ensures that there is no cutting at the back of your knee. The silicone gel protects the patella or the knee cap from pressure and physical shock.
- Easy to wear with the side closure
- Open patella design for mobility
- Does not slide down
- Made with breathable and sweat-absorbing fabric
- Does not fit well
When it comes to buying a knee brace, there are few features like the design and your knee condition to keep in mind if you are overweight and need extra support. Let us check out all the factors that you need to consider in the next section.
Factors To Consider When Buying A Knee Brace For People Who Are Overweight
- Heavy Duty Hinges: Knee braces should have heavy-duty hinges made with high-quality materials. These hinges provide stability to the knee joint, especially if it is recovering from surgery or injury. These hinges control the motion of the knee joints and keep them secured from being displaced. Poor-quality or badly designed hinges can result in lateral or medial collateral ligament damage.
- Weight: A lightweight, durable knee brace is preferred. It is easier and more comfortable to wear and carry it around. Bulky knee braces hamper movement and may cause further strain to your knees.
- Material: Go for fabrics such as neoprene that are breathable and popularly used in knee braces. Materials that are strong but can stretch and mold to the shape of your body are good choices.
- Brace Design: It is important to choose knee braces that stay in place and do not slip or roll down. Most of them come with Velcro straps to secure them to the knee. They should be adjustable so that the full range of motion is not compromised. They should keep in mind the excess weight on the knee cartilage.
- Open Patella: This is another essential feature to keep in mind when buying a knee brace. An open patella ensures that your knee gets the support you need but does not have material bunching on the knee joint. This can be uncomfortable and restrict mobility. An open patella also prevents excessive sweating and chafing.
- Price: It is always important to analyze and stay within your budget before buying a product.
One of the most common mistakes people make is to choose a knee brace that does not fit them properly. Let us find out how to take proper measurements and select the right-sized knee brace for you.
How To Select The Correct Size For A Knee Brace
- Take measurements of your mid kneecap, thigh, and the area below your knee.
- Check the size chart for the corresponding measurements.
- Choose the size that is closest to your knee measurements.
- Most plus-size knee braces are made considering different body sizes and body types.
- Keep in mind the type of support you need. A hinged knee brace is suitable for knees with injury and tears. A compression sleeve helps in alleviating pain and offering support to weak knees due to age or weight.
A knee brace can be very beneficial for you if you are overweight. Find out how in the next section.
Benefits Of A Knee Brace For People Who Are Overweight
Knee braces help in providing stability and support to people who are overweight. They also help increase the range of mobility and flexibility without causing damage. Knee braces help in daily activities like walking, jogging, or any form of physical exercise. They protect the knees from further injury and minimize the damage to the knees. People who are overweight or obese can use knee braces as a precautionary measure. Compression sleeves improve blood circulation and help in the recovery and healing of knee tears and injuries.
Max Lowery says that “It is advised to stay clear of running if you have a lot of weight to lose (15kg+) instead get out and walk as much as you can. Did you know that you can burn a lot of calories if you walk 7k-10k steps per day? Best of all, walking won’t raise your hunger levels nearly as much as running.” However he goes on to say that “It’s important to understand that a knee brace can be a short term fix to knee pain. It’s treating a symptom instead of the route cause. In an ideal world, gradual weight loss, paired with specific knee strengthening exercises would be the long term fix.”
Knee braces can efficiently eliminate chronic pain! For people who are overweight, knee braces can come off as the ultimate savior while you are jogging, walking, or taking the stairs. These knee braces are comfortable and lightweight that fits perfectly under your pants. Knee braces provide relief to strained muscles and sore joints as well. They also improve blood flow and prevent sweat-building on your knees. However, while purchasing the right knee braces for yourself, be careful not to buy one that fits uncomfortably.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
Aditi Naskar, the author of this article, has a diploma in health and wellness. She has conducted deep research about knee braces to make this list for people who are overweight and need knee support. She has gone through various reviews and feedback to understand the efficacy of the products and shortlist the best ones.
Is it okay to wear a knee brace all day?
Depending on the condition of your knees and the physical activities you perform, it is necessary to wear knee braces all day. They provide support to the knees.
Should I sleep with a knee brace on?
You can sleep with a knee brace on. However, make sure that you are comfortable. Use props such as pillows to help you. It is advisable to consult a doctor before you sleep with a knee brace on.
Should a knee brace be tight?
Yes, a knee brace needs to be tightly secured so that it does not fall off or slip away. The tightness can be adjusted with the help of the straps and compression levels available in different types of braces.
How tight should knee support be?
Knee support should be tight, but not so tight that it feels uncomfortable and restrictive.
Can you wear a knee brace over your pants?
No, a knee brace should be worn directly against your skin, under your pants. Wearing it over your pants can cause it to slip down.
- Best Knee Braces To Buy
- Best Knee Braces For Osteoarthritis To Help Manage The Pain
- Best Unloader Knee Braces: Reviews And Buying Guide