You should start using a hair gel if you have kinky, coily curls, or frizzy hair with flyaways. A hair gel is necessary to define and enhance the look of your curls and keep your hair looking well-groomed. The best natural hair gels will make a long-lasting impression when you attend office meetings or step out for social events. A natural hair gel works like a miracle product, even for long and silky hair. The best part about natural hair gels is that they are infused with natural ingredients and protect your hair from any damage.
In this article, we have listed the 11 best natural hair gels. Let’s check them out!
In This Article
Top 11 Best Natural Hair Gels To Buy In 2023
You have found the perfect product for your everyday hair setting needs! Eco Styler Professional Styling Gel keeps your hair perfectly tamed for 10 hours straight. Especially if you want your curls to stay, use this while your hair is still wet. This natural hair gel is formulated with the star ingredient 100% pure olive oil that helps keep your scalp and hair moisturized. Once the gel is settled on your hair, your tresses will be left with a healthy shine. Apply on wet hair and scrunch. Tahlya Loveday, a hair stylist with over 13 years of experience says, “Eco Gel is great to define your curls without flakeyness, and has a beautiful touch after it dries.” If you want to find out more about this product through a reviewer’s experience, check out this video on YouTube.
- No talc
- Anti-itch gel
- No flaking
- UV protection
- Long-lasting shine
- Comes with an automatic-shut cap
- May not be suitable for very thick, coarse hair
Do you want to style your wavy hair in a perfect bun or a cornrow, twisted braid that does not become frizzy? Look no further! Cantu Shea Butter For Natural Hair Moisturizing Twist & Lock Gel will help you manage any hairstyle you desire. It keeps frizz under control and hair moisturized, giving your hair a silky, smooth hold. It is formulated using star ingredients such as natural oils like jojoba, soybean, coconut, aloe vera, sweet almond, avocado, olive, argan, neem, etc. With the best qualities of shea and mango seed butter, this natural styling gel will get you party-ready in no time! For the best results, apply on wet hair and scrunch. This organic hair gel leaves you with textured hair. Cantu Shea Butter can be heavy and leaves a film coating on top. It takes longer for your hair to dry afterwards. If you need further convincing, check this YouTuber’s review out.
- Enhances waves
- No mineral oil
- Natural ingredients
- Contains shea butter
- De-frizzes and adds shine
- Gluten and phthalate-free
- No sulfates, parabens, silicones, or paraffin
- Might make the hair dry after use
- Might not be suitable for sensitive scalp
The best natural hair gel is the one that keeps your hair healthy and also holds them for a long time. This Garnier Fructis Style Pure Clean Styling Gel has a formula so unique that it contains active fruit protein, a combination of vitamins B3 and B6, citrus proteins, fruit and plant extracts, and strengthening conditioners. This organic hair gel features acacia gum, which is known for its natural holding properties, giving your hair a strong hold that lasts for 24 hours. Don’t be shy to use a good amount of gel for your long hair to ensure support for a long day to come. It is suitable for all types of hair. Check out this review on YouTube to watch a tester’s experience with this product and why it is one of the best out there.
- Plant-based ingredients
- 24-hour hold
- No flaking
- 98% naturally-derived ingredients
- Features active fruit proteins
- No silicones, parabens, or dyes
- The fragrance might be too strong.
Best UV Protection
Best With Natural Ingredients
Best 24-Hour Hold
|Eco Styler Professional Styling Gel||Cantu Shea Butter For Natural Hair Moisturizing Twist & Lock Gel||Garnier Fructis Style Pure Clean Styling Gel|
|Hair Type||All||Wavy, Frizzy, Curly||All|
|Dimensions||3.74 x 3.74 x 3.94 inches||4 x 5 x 6 inches||1.75 x 3 x 7 inches|
|Weight||1.04 Pounds||13 Ounces||7.07 Ounces|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
Joie Naturals MyGel is a natural hair gel that nourishes hair shafts and boosts hair growth. This non-flaking gel gives your hair a thicker and healthier look, ideal for weddings, dates, and corporate events. Simply perfect for your locks by applying it on your scalp and hair for the best results. Formulated with nourishing ingredients such as chamomile, lemongrass, comfrey, cucumber, and fruit extracts, you will get good hair conditioning using this all-natural gel. With this best gel for natural hair, you can easily style your hair in twists and braids, and look great on all occasions. It improves hair health and promotes hair cuticle health. Use it after a leave-in conditioner as a frizz-control gel. Also, many reviewers have praised this product for giving them noticeably healthier, nourishing hair.
- Doesn’t flake
- Provides shine
- Conditions hair
- Boosts hair growth
- Thicker and healthier look
- Contains plants and herb extracts
- Might have a waxy consistency
This multipurpose natural hair gel is perfect for your formal and informal parties. It refreshes, revives, and promotes thicker hair growth. The extra volume makes your hair look fluffier than usual, giving your face an overall charming look. This Tea Tree Firm Hold Gel is known for providing a strong hold and shiny effect on hair. This gel for natural hair won’t flake, so that you can wear it for all occasions without a worry.
- Firm hold
- For all hair types
- Has cool mint, tea tree, and citrus fragrance
- Might be a little greasy
This natural hair gel is a do-it-all! With the nourishing properties of sunflower, shine quality of citrus, and hydrating feature of aloe vera, this is one of the best gels for natural hair. This Andalou Naturals Styling Gel minimizes split ends and conditions your hair naturally. It helps restore damaged strands and shields against frizz and humidity. Not only does it improve the longevity of your hair follicles, but it also promotes overall healthy hair with its advanced Fruit Stem Cell Science. Professionals can control their client’s hairstyling with this gel by providing volume, good texture, and definition. It is the best hair gel for natural hair. This brand is a favorite among users as it does not use ingredients or practices that involve animal testing. Use a deep conditioner after the hair gel to remove product build-up.
- Vegan-friendly Hair Gel
- Medium hold
- Verified gluten-free
- Provides extra body
- Fair trade and certified organic ingredients
- Non GMO project verified
- May make one’s hair stiff
Nothing like a natural hair gel that prevents hair loss and helps with new hair growth! This African Formula Cosmetics SuperGrow Gel helps with all that and also improves hair quality by thickening it. It is formulated with biotin, placenta extracts, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that lend your hair a richer and healthier appearance. Now you can style your curls and also nourish them using this natural hair gel. SuperGro is great for braiding. You can use this curly hair gel to style your natural curls, coily hair, and even your protective style. It can also help with edge control. A go to really, especially for the scalp because it helps promote hair growth and feels good on your scalp! It keeps your sections neat and clean.
- Enhances curl definition
- Regular hold
- Natural ingredients
- Promotes hair growth
- Might be sticky
Majestic Pure Cosmeceuticals Hair Gel is a unisex gel designed for natural hair. It is formulated with 90% organic ingredients that gives your hair an enhanced fuller look and shields it from thermal or environmental damage. It tames your frizzy and flyaway hair strands, making them smooth and soft. You can use it on your hair during photo shoots or long-distance travels! It is one of the best natural hair gels as it is also flake-free and ensures a strong hold.
- Flexible hold
- Imparts soft texture
- Witch hazel-infused formula
- 90% pure ingredients
- Contains pro-vitamin B5
- Features organic aloe vera
- Might cause mild irritation on people with sensitive skin
How would you love a natural hair gel that secures the shape of your curls all day? Giovanni Eco Chic Hair Care L.A. Hold Styling Gel not only has a strong hold, but also controls frizz. It is made from fruit and plant extracts that nourish your hair without affecting the color. It is formulated with Eco Chic Advanced Technology that gives your hair a shiny effect, making you photo-ready. This natural hair gel is cruelty-free, giving you even more reasons to make it your favorite hair styling gel. Also, this formula has received many positive reviews on Amazon for its hydrating properties.
- USDA certified organic ingredients
- Leaping Bunny certified cruelty-free
- No mineral oils, artificial colors, or animal ingredients
- No parabens, phthalates, sulfates, or petrochemicals
- Might leave hair dry after use
Whether you have colored or permed hair, you can still give it some style that stays for long! Get salon-like shine with this JASON Flaxseed Hi-Shine Styling Gel. This hair styling product is infused with natural and healthy ingredients like flaxseed, panthenol, and plant proteins and extracts. With this formula, you can style your hair without worrying about the gel damaging your hair. Get a gentle sheen and a good volume using this styling gel for natural hair. This medium-hold styling gel adds a dose of moisture to your low-porosity hair.
- No GMOs
- Not animal-tested
- No parabens or sulfates
- Certified organic ingredients
- Phthalate and petrolatum-free
- May not be suitable for fragrance-sensitive skin
This natural hair gel is great for babies and adults! Formulated with flower and fruit extracts, this is probably the best holding gel for natural hair. It contains healthy ingredients such as apple, apricot extract, and cucumber that promote hydrated skin. With this dermatologist-tested gel, you get stronger and shinier hair, making you look great for any occasion. The brand individually tests all its products so It can be used by people with sensitive skin and children too. Get smooth and silky hair with this clinically-tested Original Sprout Classic Hair Gel and give yourself a fun hairstyle. Original Sprout is great with kids and is very gentle. It defines your curls super well and is best for when you’re diffusing your hair.
- Hypoallergenic formula
- Non-irritating formula
- Paraben and phthalate-free
- No hormone-disruptive ingredients
- The fragrance might be too strong.
After looking at multiple options, you might be confused as to which are the best natural hair gel products for you. Here are a few answers to clear your doubts.
How To Choose A Natural Hair Gel
A natural hair gel will have ingredients that directly change the look and feel of your hair. While some products focus on nourishing the hair, others help create the best hold according to your hair type. Here are a few factors to consider before choosing a good gel for your natural hair.
- Ingredients: A natural hair gel should be free of parabens, phthalates, sulfates, and petrochemicals. It should be formulated with nourishing ingredients such as natural oils, leaf extracts, fruits, vitamins, minerals, and more. This combination will provide a strong hold for your hairstyle, helping you prevent any damage at the same time.
- Hairstyle: If you want to leave your hair open, and let them stay frizz-free and avoid flyaway, you can get a regular-hold gel. For braids, you might want to get something that can twist and lock your hairstyle without blocking moisturization. Both medium and strong-hold gels can help you create complicated hairstyles that stay intact all day.
- Hair type: Different hair types require different gels. If you have thin, straight hair, it is easy to set it in different styles. But for thick, sensitive, or curly hair, you would need specialized gels. Thick, curly type-4 hair can be difficult to tame, hence, Eco Styler Professional or Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Styling Gel would work well. That said, always choose a hypoallergenic or dermatologist-tested gel if you have sensitive skin.
- Hair texture: Whether you have frizzy, dry, or oily hair, you can style them using the perfect hair gel. For frizzy hair, you have Giovanni L.A. Hold Styling Gel, and for managing and repairing split ends you can use Andalou Naturals Styling Gel.
- Gel hold: Are you looking for heavy styling or a casual office look? A natural hair gel comes in three different holds — regular, medium, and strong. Every occasion requires a different hold depending on the hairstyle.
Benefits Of Natural Hair Gel
- Even on your bad hair days, you can style your way through and look fabulous using hair gels. The reason why people choose natural hair gel is to avoid damage to your hair. Chemicals like parabens, sulfates, phthalates, gluten, silicones, or artificial colors lead to dry hair, hair loss, tangled hair, brittleness, breakage, and more.
- Common benefits of natural hair gel are nourished hair and scalp, hair growth, lustrous hair, longer hold, protection against UV rays and pollution, and good volume.
- You can avoid long-term hair damage, dehydration, losing the quality of natural luster, clogging of moisture, and internal harm with it.
Infographic: Key Ingredients In A Natural Hair Gel
Whether you want to moisturize your dry hair or set its style for the rest of the day, a natural hair gel is what you need. It is infused with potent ingredients that nourish the follicles, enhance hair shine, and reduce flyaways. Check out the infographic below to know which ingredients to look out for when shopping for a natural hair gel.
Hair gels can help in making your strands smoother, silkier, and thicker. The hair gels that are enriched with natural ingredients can nourish your curls while thoroughly moisturizing your scalp as well. You can use hair gels to control your flyaways while styling your hair smoothly. The Eco Styler Professional Styling Gel helps tame your tresses for 10 hours, while the Cantu Shea Butter Moisturizing Twist & Lock Gel helps manage waves and holds any style you desire. For a vegan-friendly and cruelty-free product, try the Giovanni Eco Chic Hair Care L.A. Hold Styling Gel. However, it is better to choose gels that can elevate the natural shine of your hair. Also, make sure that you avoid hair gels that are made with artificial ingredients and chemicals that can ultimately prove to be too harmful to your tresses.
Tahlya says,“Curly hair can be some of the hardest hair to manage. You need to constantly try new products to find what will work best with your curl. What you need to do is keep in mind not only your curl pattern but your hair texture which will depend on what kind of gel you will need. If your hair texture happens to fall on the flatter side, I would recommend a stronger hold gel with less moisture. This will help tame frizz and produce more bouncy curls without compromising your volume. Coarser texture with lots of frizz can benefit from layering your products. Starting with a moisture gel and then applying a stronghold gel is a great example of this on how to layer your products. Once you’ve figured out your texture you can work on your curl. For the hair with inconsistent curl patterns I recommend a twisting method to help clump your curls and help it dry in a more uniform way. A pro tip is to never brush out or comb your hair once it is dry. Massage your scalp with your finger tips or use an afro pick at the roots to help loosen/break up your curls with the least amount of frizz.”
Why Trust Stylecraze
With her enthusiasm for finding the best hair care products, Kirtana Divakar has collated this list after extensive research and user review analysis. She selected these best natural hair gels due to their long-lasting effects, ingredients, holding capacity, and hair nourishing properties. In addition, she described the product’s specifications along with their pros and cons. There is also a buying guide to help you pick the right product.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is gel bad for natural hair?
Natural hair gel is not bad for natural hair. The ingredients improve the quality of hair, provide shiny glow, as well as help in creating different hairstyles.
Does natural hair gel work?
Yes, natural hair gel works. It provides a good hold on hair, making the hairstyle stay intact for the day. Some natural hair gels also help in hair growth and provide nutrition to the scalp.
Does gel damage natural hair?
A natural hair gel does not damage natural hair. But a gel formulated using harmful chemicals might.
Can I use styling gel on natural hair gel?
People use enhancers to give extra shine or support to the natural hair gel. Natural hair gels are used for styling solely too.
Can you use eco gel on natural hair gel?
You can use eco gel, although it might not be required.
Which gel is the best for natural hair edges?
The Andalou Naturals Styling Gel – Sunflower & Citrus works wonder on hair edges. It reduces split ends to improve the life of hair. It helps in restoring damaged strands of hair and gives a new, refreshed look to the hair.
- DIY Hair Gel Recipes For Silky Smooth Hair
- Best Hair Gels for Women
- Best Eco Styler Hair Gels To Try
- Best Vegan Hair Gels For Women