Hairstyling is essential as it completely changes your appearance. A well-set hair will make a lasting impression on people during your office meetings or social gatherings. Even if you already have long, silky hair, sometimes a hair gel gives that extra push in keeping them that way throughout the day.
Environmental pollution and harmful chemicals may damage your hair and skin, which is why it is important to use natural ingredients for styling your hair. Natural hair gels have many qualities that hold your hairstyle, nourish scalp and hair, and shield against any chemical damage. But which is the best natural hair gel for you? Let us help you select from these 11 best natural hair gels.
Top 11 Best Natural Hair Gels To Buy In 2020
You have found the perfect product for your everyday hair setting needs! Eco Styler Professional Styling Gel keeps your hair perfectly tamed for 10 hours straight. Especially if you want your curls to stay, use this while your hair is still wet. This natural hair gel is formulated with 100% pure olive oil that helps keep your scalp and hair moisturized. Once the gel is settled on your hair, your tresses will be left with a healthy shine.
- No talc
- Anti-itch gel
- No flaking
- UV protection
- Long-lasting shine
- Comes with an automatic-shut cap
- May not be suitable for very thick, coarse hair
Do you want to style your wavy hair in a perfect bun or a cornrow, twisted braid that does not become frizzy? Look no further! Cantu Shea Butter For Natural Hair Moisturizing Twist & Lock Gel will help you manage any hairstyle you desire. It keeps frizz under control and hair moisturized, giving your hair a silky, smooth hold. It is formulated using natural oils like jojoba, soybean, coconut, aloe vera, sweet almond, avocado, olive, argan, neem, etc. With the best qualities of shea and mango seed butter, this natural styling gel will get you party-ready in no time!
- No mineral oil
- Natural ingredients
- Contains shea butter
- De-frizzes and adds shine
- Gluten and phthalate-free
- No sulfates, parabens, silicones, or paraffin
- Might make the hair dry after use
- Might not be suitable for sensitive scalp
The best natural hair gel is the one that keeps your hair healthy and also holds them for a long time. This Garnier Fructis Style Pure Clean Styling Gel has a formula so unique that it contains active fruit protein, a combination of vitamins B3 and B6, citrus proteins, fruit and plant extracts, and strengthening conditioners. It features acacia gum that is known for its natural holding properties, giving your hair a strong hold that lasts for 24 hours. Don’t be shy to use a good amount of gel for your long hair to ensure support for a long day to come.
- 24-hour hold
- No residue or flaking
- 98% naturally-derived ingredients
- Features active fruit proteins
- No silicones, parabens, or dyes
- The fragrance might be too strong.
Joie Naturals MyGel is a natural hair gel that nourishes hair shafts and boosts hair growth. This non-flaking gel gives your hair a thicker and healthier look, ideal for weddings, dates, and corporate events. Simply perfect for your locks by applying it on your scalp and hair for the best results. Formulated with chamomile, lemongrass, comfrey, cucumber, and fruit extracts, you will get good hair conditioning using this all-natural gel. With this best gel for natural hair, you can easily style your hair in twists and braids, and look great on all occasions.
- Doesn’t flake
- Provides shine
- Conditions hair
- Boosts hair growth
- Thicker and healthier look
- Contains plants and herb extracts
- Might have a waxy consistency
This multipurpose natural hair gel is perfect for your formal and informal parties. It refreshes, revives, and makes your hair look thicker. The extra volume makes your hair look fluffier than usual, giving your face an overall charming look. This Tea Tree Firm Hold Gel is known for providing a strong hold and shiny effect on hair. This gel for natural hair won’t flake, so that you can wear it for all occasions without a worry.
- Firm hold
- For all hair types
- Has cool mint, tea tree, and citrus fragrance
- Might be a little greasy
This natural hair gel is a do-it-all! With the nourishing properties of sunflower, shine quality of citrus, and hydrating feature of aloe vera, this is one of the best gels for natural hair. This Andalou Naturals Styling Gel minimizes split ends and conditions your hair naturally. It helps restore damaged strands and shields against frizz and humidity. Not only does it improve the longevity of your hair follicles, but it also promotes overall healthy hair with its advanced Fruit Stem Cell Science. Professionals can control their client’s hairstyling with this gel by providing volume, good texture, and definition. It is the best hair gel for natural hair.
- Vegan-friendly Hair Gel
- Medium hold
- Verified gluten-free
- Provides extra body
- Fair trade and certified organic ingredients
- Non GMO project verified
- May make one’s hair stiff
Nothing like a natural hair gel that prevents hair loss and helps with new hair growth! This African Formula Cosmetics SuperGrow Gel helps with all that and also improves hair quality by thickening it. It is formulated with biotin, placenta extracts, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that lend your hair a richer and healthier appearance. Now you can style your curls and also nourish them using this natural hair gel.
- Regular hold
- Natural ingredients
- Promotes hair growth
- Might be sticky
Majestic Pure Cosmeceuticals Hair Gel is a unisex gel designed for natural hair. It is formulated with 90% organic ingredients that gives your hair an enhanced fuller look and shields it from thermal or environmental damage. It tames your frizzy and flyaway hair strands, making them smooth and soft. You can use it on your hair during photo shoots or long-distance travels! It is one of the best natural hair gels as it is also flake-free and ensures a strong hold.
- Flexible hold
- Witch hazel-infused formula
- 90% pure ingredients
- Contains pro-vitamin B5
- Features organic aloe vera
- Might cause mild irritation on people with sensitive skin
How would you love a natural hair gel that secures the shape of your curls all day? Giovanni Eco Chic Hair Care L.A. Hold Styling Gel not only has a strong hold, but also controls frizz. It is made from fruit and plant extracts that nourish your hair without affecting the color. It gives your hair a shiny effect, making you photo-ready. This natural hair gel is cruelty-free, giving you even more reasons to make it your favorite hair styling gel.
- USDA certified organic ingredients
- Leaping Bunny certified cruelty-free
- No mineral oils, artificial colors, or animal ingredients
- No parabens, phthalates, sulfates, or petrochemicals
- Might leave hair dry after use
Whether you have colored or permed hair, you can still give it some style that stays for long! Get salon-like shine with this JASON Flaxseed Hi-Shine Styling Gel. It is infused with natural ingredients like flaxseed, panthenol, and plant proteins and extracts. With this formula, you can style your hair without worrying about the gel damaging your hair. Get a gentle sheen and a good volume using this styling gel for natural hair.
- No GMOs
- Not tested on animals
- No parabens or sulfates
- Certified organic ingredients
- Phthalate and petrolatum-free
- May not be suitable for fragrance-sensitive skin
This natural hair gel is great for babies and adults! Formulated with flower and fruit extracts, this is probably the best holding gel for natural hair. It contains apple, apricot extract, and cucumber that help keep your skin hydrated. With this gel, you get stronger and shinier hair, making you look great for any occasion. It can be used by people with sensitive skin too, as it’s a hypoallergenic formula. Get smooth and silky hair with this Original Sprout Classic Hair Gel and give yourself a fun hairstyle.
- Non-irritating formula
- Paraben and phthalate-free
- No hormone-disruptive ingredients
- The fragrance might be too strong.
After looking at multiple options, you might be confused as to which are the best natural hair gel products for you. Here are a few answers to clear your doubts.
How To Choose A Natural Hair Gel
A natural hair gel will have ingredients that directly change the look and feel of your hair. While some products focus on nourishing the hair, others help create the best hold according to your hair type. Here are a few factors to consider before choosing a good gel for your natural hair.
- Ingredients: A natural hair gel should be free of parabens, phthalates, sulfates, and petrochemicals. It should be formulated with natural oils, leaf extracts, fruits, vitamins, minerals, and more. This combination will provide a strong hold for your hairstyle, helping you prevent any damage at the same time.
- Hairstyle: If you want to leave your hair open, and let them stay frizz-free and avoid flyaway, you can get a regular-hold gel. For braids, you might want to get something that can twist and lock your hairstyle without blocking moisturization. Both medium and strong-hold gels can help you create complicated hairstyles that stay intact all day.
- Hair type: Different hair types require different gels. If you have thin, straight hair, it is easy to set it in different styles. But for thick, sensitive, or curly hair, you would need specialized gels. Thick, curly type-4 hair can be difficult to tame, hence, Eco Styler Professional or Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Styling Gel would work well. That said, always choose a hypoallergenic gel if you have sensitive skin.
- Hair texture: Whether you have frizzy, dry, or oily hair, you can style them using the perfect hair gel. For frizzy hair, you have Giovanni L.A. Hold Styling Gel, and for managing and repairing split ends you can use Andalou Naturals Styling Gel.
- Gel hold: Are you looking for heavy styling or a casual office look? A natural hair gel comes in three different holds — regular, medium, and strong. Every occasion requires a different hold depending on the hairstyle.
Benefits Of Natural Hair Gel
- Even on your bad hair days, you can style your way through and look fabulous using hair gels. The reason why people choose natural hair gel is to avoid damage to your hair. Chemicals like parabens, sulfates, phthalates, gluten, silicones, or artificial colors lead to dry hair, hair loss, tangled hair, brittleness, breakage, and more.
- Common benefits of natural hair gel are nourished hair and scalp, hair growth, lustrous hair, longer hold, protection against UV rays and pollution, and good volume.
- You can avoid long-term hair damage, dehydration, losing the quality of natural luster, clogging of moisture, and internal harm with it.
Whichever product you choose, since it is a natural hair gel, you are on the right track. Pick any hairstyle you want without worrying. You will have nourished hair and a perfect style by using just one gel. By going the natural way, you are protecting your hair and the environment too. Kudos! Now rock on at parties and be presentable at all formal meetings by styling your hair beautifully. We hope our list of the 11 best natural hair gels will help you pick the right one.
Expert’s Answers for Readers Questions
Is gel bad for natural hair?
Natural hair gel is not bad for natural hair. The ingredients improve the quality of hair, provide shiny glow, as well as help in creating different hairstyles.
Does natural hair gel work?
Yes, natural hair gel works. It provides a good hold on hair, making the hairstyle stay intact for the day. Some natural hair gels also help in hair growth and provide nutrition to the scalp.
Does gel damage natural hair?
A natural hair gel does not damage natural hair. But a gel formulated using harmful chemicals might.
Can I use styling gel on natural hair gel?
People use enhancers to give extra shine or support to the natural hair gel. Natural hair gels are used for styling solely too.
Can you use eco gel on natural hair gel?
You can use eco gel, although it might not be required.
- DIY Hair Gel Recipes For Silky Smooth Hair
- 13 Best Hair Gels for Women In 2020
- 10 Best Hair Gels of 2020 Available in India
- 10 Best Eco Styler Hair Gels To Try In 2020
Latest posts by Mayuri J Ravi (see all)
- Walk Confidently With The 11 Best Bras For Low-Cut Dresses In 2021 - April 26, 2021
- 11 Best Sunscreens For Scalp And Hair You Should Try - April 8, 2021
- 13 Best Vanilla Perfumes And Fragrance Mists That You Should Try In 2021 - April 8, 2021
- 15 Best Aloe Vera Lotions To Help Soothe Dry And Irritated Skin - March 24, 2021
- 9 Best Lip Brushes For Perfect Makeup - March 14, 2021