When taking baby steps towards makeup application, the first milestone we cross is that of eye makeup. Earlier, swiping on a little kohl used to be enough. As a beginner, all that the makeup world has to offer can seem a little overwhelming. Making mistakes is part of the learning process, and yet they can be easily avoided. Here are 20 simple eye makeup tips for beginners that will take you from being a starter to a star when it comes to eye makeup!
Simple Eye Makeup Tips
1. Eyeliner Tips for Beginners
Getting your eyeliner right is one of the most important steps of eye makeup. Here are some eye makeup techniques for beginners that should be definitely followed.
Get Beauty Tips from trusted Dermatologists for free.
- Use a makeup remover so that your eyelids are oil/grease-free to ensure a smudge-proof application with the eyeliner.
- To get that perfect wing while using an eyeliner, keep your eyes open, look straight into the mirror, and line the outer corners of the eyes.
- Make sure you apply the eyeliner as close to the lash line as possible so that it appears to be a part of your natural lashline.
- To achieve a soft smoky eye, go for pencil eyeliner as it tends to be softer and creamier. Apply it on the eyelids and smudge it with your finger so that it looks more natural and gorgeous.
- As you age, you might be reluctant to use an eyeliner. You don’t have to stop using the eyeliner, rather, opt for more subtle colors, such as brown and grey, and apply lots of mascara to complement the look.
[Read: Best Way to Apply Eyeliner ]
2. Mascara Tips for Beginners
How can we talk about eye makeup and not talk about mascara? Here are some important tips for proper mascara application.
- Start applying the mascara from the roots of your lashes and not the tips. This technique gives you enough volume and doesn’t weigh down your eyelashes.
- To prevent your lashes from looking clumpy, coat on layers of mascara, depending on the desired volume.
- To make your mascara last longer, avoid pumping the wand while pulling out the mascara. Instead, swirl it. This also doesn’t dry out the mascara.
- In case you are using an eyelash curler after applying the mascara, ensure the mascara on the eyes is semi-wet and not dry.
- While applying the mascara on the lower lashes, place a tissue paper right under your lashes to prevent smudging your makeup.
3. Eyeshadow Tips for Beginners
- Invest in good quality brushes. They last for years and ensure better blending. The flat brushes are for depositing the eyeshadow and the fluffy brushes are for blending.
- If you want the eyeshadow color to really stand out, then use a white pencil on the eyelids just before applying the eyeshadow. This technique makes the colors pop out.
- While creating smoky eyes, use creamy eye pencils as the base for a stronger/intense effect. If you are going for a brown smoky eye, opt for a brown pencil as the base.
Some More Best Eye Makeup Tips For Beginners
- Use a blotting paper to remove the excess eyeshadow without disturbing the eyeliner.
- The technique for applying the eyeshadow is to start with an eye primer or an eye base and apply it all over the eye area (up to the brow bone).
- A great tip to curl your lashes instantly is by blow-drying your curler right before you curl your lashes. But ensure that it is not too hot.
- To avoid eyeshadow fall out, finish your eye makeup first and then proceed with the base. This will ensure that the makeup looks fresh.
- Focus on one feature at a time. When wearing loud eye makeup, keep the lips subtle or nude and vice versa.
- Highlight the inner corner of the eyes by using a lighter color of eyeshadow on the eyes as this makes the eyes look brighter.
- Fill your brows and define them by using a concealer or a foundation on the outer corners of your brows. This helps in defining the brows perfectly.
This is all about eye makeup for beginners step-by-step! These tips cover all the bases. If you are a beginner, hopefully these pointers helped you out.
Now that you have some tips and tricks on how to apply eye makeup, check out these tips on how to remove it.
There a lot of products out there to help you remove stubborn waterproof and sweat proof long stay makeup – eye makeup removers, baby shampoo and more.
Choose a good quality eye makeup remover. If you are not using too much makeup, you can use baby shampoo to remove eye makeup too.
How to Remove Eye Makeup?
- Always remove all your makeup before you wash your face.
- Take a cotton ball and wet it thoroughly with the remover.
- Start working on one eye at a time.
- Start with the upper lid and swipe the cotton ball a couple of times exerting minimum pressure.
- If maximum gunk has come off, use another cotton ball to remove the remains of the upper lid makeup.
- Repeat the same with the other eye.
- Use a fresh cotton ball soaked in eye makeup remover to give a final cleansing.
- Now move on to the lashes and kohl part.
- Be careful while doing this as too much of the makeup remover might burn your eyes.
- You can use a cotton swab/ear bud to reach the innermost corner of your eye.
- Use as much as the remover and cotton as required to thoroughly remove all the makeup from your eyes.
- Now remove the rest of the makeup from your face.
- Use a gentle cleanser to wash your face.
- Dab on some toner to close the pores.
- Use adequate moisturizer to pamper your skin.
- You can also dab on some under eye cream to provide some relief to your eyes.
How to Remove Eye Makeup Using Baby Shampoo?
- Remove off makeup from the rest of your face.
- Splash water on your face, concentrating on your eyes.
- Pour some baby shampoo onto your palm and work out a rich lather.
- Apply this on your eye and make some to and fro motions.
- Splash water again to remove the soap content.
- Repeat if required.
- Wash your face using a mild face wash.
- Follow your CTM routine – it’s very important to use a toner post washing your face, as it helps close the pores and makes skin healthier. A toner is also known to reduce blemishes.
- Dab on a good moisturizer.
- An under eye cream makes the skin supple and help you avoid eye bags and dark circles.
Remember, the baby shampoo might not be effective where long stay eye makeup products have been used.
Vaseline can also be used to remove eye makeup, but the waxy feel that it leaves behind requires further extra cleansing. Just swipe across a cotton ball smeared with Vaseline on the makeup and cleanse as usual.
Olive oil and almond oil can also be used like makeup removers, but they’ll sting the eye if they get in. This is one of the best solutions to the question of how to remove eye makeup naturally.
These are some safe and popular methods of eye makeup removal. Hope you would try these methods next time while removing your eye makeup.
This is all about eye makeup for beginners. These tips cover all the bases. If you are a beginner, hopefully these pointers will help you out. If you are a pro and have some more tips up your sleeve, please share those in the comments section below.
Expert’s Answers for Readers Questions
How long does eyeshadow last?
This purely depends on the method you used to apply the eyeshadow, your skin type and the weather. If you have oily skin and you live in a hot climatic zone, your eyeshadow will probably melt into the crease quicker. The best way to make sure that it stays on for a long time is to use a primer. A primer prevents any creasing and helps the makeup last longer.
How to get fuller lashes?
If you’re looking for a quick fix, you can tightline your eyes and use an eyelash curler and a volumising mascara. But if you’re looking for something in the long run, you can try applying olive oil or caster oil to your lashes. Be careful that you don’t get any in your eyes.
How long can you keep eyeshadow?
On a daily basis, try to wash off your makeup after 8-12 hours. When it comes to shelf life, a cream eyeshadow can be kept for 12 months and a powder eyeshadow for 2 years. In case you develop an infection, visit a doctor and dispose the product that caused the infection.
How to hide under-eye bags?
Use a concealer under the bags of your eyes instead on concealing the actual bags. Concealing the bags will only make it stand out. Use a night cream, drink plenty of water and get a good night’s sleep.
- How to Apply Bridal Eye Makeup?
- Everyday Eye Makeup – Step by Step Tutorial with Pictures
- How to Apply Kajal on Eyes without Smudging?
- Arabic Eye Makeup – Step by Step Tutorial
- Smokey Eye Tutorials for Beginners
Latest posts by Afsha Rangila (see all)
- 5 Easy Steps To Blend Eyeshadows Perfectly –A Step By Step Tutorial - August 24, 2014
- How To Get The Perfect Lip Shape: A Step-By-Step Tutorial - August 6, 2014
- How To Prevent Lipstick From Smudging - July 28, 2014
- Angelina Jolie Eye Makeup: A Step By Step Tutorial - July 18, 2014
- Top 10 Lakme Products For Your Bridal Makeup Kit - July 17, 2014