The world has seen many changes in the past and continues to do so. Wisdom has prevailed, and people have finally realized the importance of the green revolution. While people are working towards making the world more plastic-free, there are also other things that need our attention. We need to talk about the ingredients and chemicals that go into our skin and hair care products.
These last few years have seen the market exploding with environment-friendly shampoos and shampoo bars that are free of chemicals, such as sulfate. Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) are much talked about ingredients present in almost all shampoos to help create lather. But sulfate is known to irritate skin and cause dryness. With that in mind, let’s go all out and check out the 13 best sulfate-free shampoo bars that are presently ruling the market.
Top 13 Sulfate-Free Shampoo Bars – Buying Guide Of 2020
J.R.LIGGETT’S All-Natural Shampoo Bar is made from rich oils of olives, coconut, jojoba, and castor that nourish your hair with their antioxidant properties. All while the vitamins A, B, and E present in the soap help rejuvenate dull hair. This vegan shampoo bar also helps clear sebum that clogs and damages hair follicles. With regular use, it gives your hair a radiant and healthy shine without any greasy feeling. It promotes healthy and clean hair without affecting the production of natural oils.
- Suitable for all skin types
- Mild and clean peppermint fragrance
- Free of synthetic oils and preservatives
- Handmade and hand-cut, ensuring safety and quality control
- May cause post-wash waxiness on your hair
This Yellow Bird Peppermint Shampoo Bar is a block of gentle bar soap formulated with kaolin clay and sea salt that remove unwanted build-up on the scalp. What’s more? This bar is a multipurpose product meaning it can be used as a body and hair washing bar. Containing trace elements of vitamins and minerals, it is suitable for all hair types; be it dry, oily, or even thin hair. This bar is a perfect alternative to cure psoriasis and is cruelty-free and vegan.
- Can be used by men and women
- Doesn’t contain harsh detergents
- Silicone and paraben-free product
- Gently cleanses without stripping your hair of its natural protective oils
- Might leave some residue
Aspen Kay Naturals Solid Shampoo Bar is made from organic and hair-loving herbs such as organic hibiscus, horsetail, chamomile, organic calendula, and turmeric. Being paraben and sulfate-free, this environmentally-friendly shampoo contains no harsh detergents and does not require any transition period as well. The organic herbs help repair damaged hair and eventually stimulate growth.
- Soothes the scalp
- Restores hair’s natural luster
- Can be used on the face and body
- Mildly scented with sweet orange and lemongrass
- Slightly expensive
Soapbox Argan Oil Shampoo Bar is infused with the light scent of vanilla and freesia that leave your smelling fresh. Upon daily use, it softens your tresses and controls hair fall. This product is formulated with vitamin E and argan oil that helps lock in the shine, giving your hair a lush and gorgeous look. The argan oil also tames frizz. Despite being sulfate-free, this soap-free shampoo bar creates a rich lather that rinses completely, leaving your hair residue-free.
- Makes hair shiny and lush
- Color-safe and silicone-free
- Cruelty-free, vegan, and gluten-free
- Formulated to be used on all hair types
- Slightly expensive
Give your hair and skin a fresh fragrance with this The Right To Shower Joy Shampoo Bar filled with the scent of tangerine and honeysuckle. This is an all-in-one soap bar suitable to be used from head to toe as a hand wash, body wash, and shampoo for your hair. Accentuated with a sweet smell, it uplifts your body and mind, giving your skin a renewed and refreshing feeling. In collaboration with various organizations, this brand supports the needy, giving them access to mobile showers so that they stay hygienic.
- Cruelty-free product
- Carefully handmade in small batches
- Paraben and sulfate-free formula
- Packaged in 100% recycled carton paper
- May leave residue after wash
HiBar Solid Shampoo Bar is a 100% plastic-free product made from shea butter, coconut oil, and rice protein that helps hydrate and nourish your hair. This formula also adds some much-needed volume to your thin and dull hair, thanks to the addition of African dates and vitamin D5. This soap bar is ergonomically crafted for a comfortable hold and use and lasts for a long time. Due to its compact shape, it is an extremely travel-friendly product.
- Moisturizes dry hair
- Works well on curly hair
- 100% safe product for colored hair
- Helps maintain normal or oily hair
- Cruelty, phthalate, and paraben-free
- Might have an unpleasant smell
This Beauty And The Bees shampoo bar is infused with Tasmanian apple cider vinegar tonic, which is a century-old well-kept haircare and skincare secret of European women. The apple cider vinegar in the formula encourages healthy hair growth, thereby retaining moisture that will help prevent split ends. This ingredient also has antibacterial and antifungal properties that condition your hair by removing the crusts that form around the follicles.
- Promotes hair growth
- Eco-friendly and zero waste packaging
- Cruelty-free and silicone-free product
- Apple cider vinegar balances ph of hair and scalp
- Slightly expensive
FALLS RIVER SOAP COMPANY Old-Fashioned Shampoo Bar is a shampoo and soap bar combined in one. Formulated with coconut oil, jojoba oil, palm oil, extra virgin olive oil, and many other natural ingredients, this handmade shampoo bar helps in healthy hair growth and stops hair loss. Rest assured, it won’t leave any residue on your hair. This travel-friendly product can be used as a body wash or to cleanse your beard. It is a perfect head-to-toe shampoo bar.
- TSA-approved product
- Suitable for everyday use
- Reduces itchiness, dryness, and flaky scalp
- Might create tangles in curly hair if rubbed directly
Valquer Shampoo Bar is a long-lasting solid bar formulated with peppermint and aloe vera. Peppermint oil has antiseptic, stimulating, and regenerative properties that are required for your precious hair. It purifies your scalp and removes excess sebum that gets collected on the hair roots. Aloe vera gel has a wide variety of medicinal purposes to treat skin disorders. Suitable for oily hair, this product moisturizes your hair, leaving it softer than before.
- 100% vegan
- Suitable for men and women
- May lead to product build-up on hair sometimes
Addicted to Soap Natural Shampoo Bar is formulated with natural ingredients and is therefore suitable for sensitive skin. This shampoo bar for curly hair is free from harsh chemicals and contains a variety of oils like virgin coconut and tea tree oils that are beneficial for your hair. It will not only rinse your hair clean without leaving any residue but also leave a refreshing peppermint scent.
- Coconut oil softens hair
- Does not weigh hair down
- Packed in biodegradable plastic wrap that decomposes naturally
- Some people may find the smell too strong.
Reef Repair Shampoo Bar is a natural, solid organic bar that contains ingredients like kaolin clay, and olive fruit oil that moisturizes and nourishes your hair. Also infused with coconut, it makes your hair soft and provides a light scent. An eco-friendly and cruelty-free product, it does not have any animal derivative products like palm oil or beeswax. This reef-safe shampoo bar is ocean-friendly and coral reef-safe too. Being pH balanced, it prevents flaky scalp and itchiness.
- Lathers well on wet hair
- Sulfate and gluten-free product
- Comes in an eco-friendly and biodegradable packaging
- Might smell unpleasant for some
This Pacific Spirit Sulfate-Free Shampoo Bar is made using a unique combination of natural ingredients such as fresh kiwi juice, argan oil, broccoli oil, and green clay. These ingredients lend you beautifully nourished and soft hair and strengthen thin hair strands. This bar is suitable for colored hair and excellent for everyday use. Upon application, the air and water aid in creating rich foam that lathers well, making your hair squeaky clean. It also adds volume and luster to dull and thin hair.
- Safe for colored hair
- Works well for dull hair
- Leaves hair feeling soft
- Has a gentle and sweet fragrance
- Utilizes plant-based foaming technology
- May make hair slightly frizzy for some
This Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve Shampoo Bar is a sustainably sourced shampoo bar that is sulfate and preservative-free. This bar contains organic sweet almond oil that helps condition your hair. It also hydrates damaged ends while maintaining the pH level of your hair. This lush shampoo bar is perfect for all hair types and ideal for both men and women.
- Hydrates hair
- Preservative and cruelty-free
- Hand-cut and made in smaller batches
- Effective in treating dry scalps
- Might make hair sticky
With a wide variety of shampoo bars available in the market choosing the right one may seem like a daunting task. Worry no more! The following pointers will help you choose the best shampoo bar for yourself.
Types Of Shampoo Bars
There are 3 main types of shampoo bars
- Cold-pressed: This process of making soaps and shampoo bars is followed by many major companies manufacturing SLS-free shampoo bars. Cold-pressed bars typically contain nourishing oils that condition your hair but may cause oil build-up. Thus, users may require to rinse their hair with a clarifying agent post-use.
- Solid surfactant: These soaps lather the best due to the presence of SLS but are avoided by a vast majority of people due to irritation.
- Glycerin-based: These soaps contain natural glycerin, which has a lower pH level to keep hair and scalp moisture-balanced.
Benefits Of Using Shampoo Bars
- Shampoo bars are easy to use and are long-lasting as compared to shampoos. Shampoos are made with almost 80% water and are therefore easily perishable, while shampoo bars are more concentrated and will last you for many days.
- Shampoo bars are travel-friendly as well as eco-friendly as they eliminate the use of bulky plastic bottles.
- Most shampoo bars do not contain any artificial ingredients such as preservatives and detergents that affect the natural pH value of your hair.
How To Use Sulfate-Free Shampoo Bars
The following is a step by step guide to using shampoo bars:
Step 1: Wet your hair well and also wet the shampoo bar.
Step 2: Rub the shampoo bar on your scalp in the direction of your hair growth.
Step 3: Lather it using your fingers in a circular motion.
Step 4: Distribute the lather from the roots to the tips of your hair.
Step 5: Wash out the soap from your hair and repeat the entire process if required.
Step 6: Towel dry your hair without using any hair dryers.
Step 7: Apply hair serum and let your hair dry naturally.
While being safe, sulfate-free shampoo bars promote awareness of environmental health. Vegan, eco-friendly, and cruelty-free products are what we should actively promote if we want to help save the environment. They are a good change from our regular liquid shampoos and help give our hair the all-natural feel. Switching liquid shampoo for a shampoo bar may just be the best thing you do for your hair and isn’t as tricky as it seems! It will help you go all-natural and get rid of the excess chemicals you are feeding your hair! Go ahead, what are you waiting for? Choose the right one for yourself from these 13 best sulfate-free shampoo bars.
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
Are shampoo bars better for your hair?
Shampoo bars help retain your hair’s natural oils and maintain its pH value, keeping it healthy.
Can sulfate-free shampoo bars cause hair loss?
No, sulfate-free shampoo bars are safe to use and do not cause hair loss.
How long does it take for hair to adjust to a shampoo bar?
The adjustment period depends on the amount of damage that your hair has and can vary from a few days to up to a month for a few people.
Do shampoo bars make hair greasy?
While adjusting to shampoo bars, your hair might feel greasy and heavy as it might take time to restore the natural oils lost.
Do you need a conditioner after using a shampoo bar?
A shampoo bar doesn’t typically strip the hair of its natural oils and thus doesn’t require a conditioner post use.
Does sulfate-free shampoo make a difference?
Sulfate-free shampoo is a good alternative to your regular shampoo, especially for those who are allergic to sulfate and experience an itchy scalp.
Latest posts by Mayuri J Ravi (see all)
- 15 Best Deodorants For Sensitive Skin You Absolutely Should Try In 2021 - January 20, 2021
- 13 Best Moisturizers For Rosacea That Have Soothing And Hydrating Properties - December 22, 2020
- 13 Best Hair Masks For Damaged Hair – Reviews Of 2020 - December 21, 2020
- 15 Best Acne Treatment Products Of 2020 For Every Kind Of Acne - December 17, 2020
- Achieve A Flawless Blowout With The 5 Best Rusk Hair Dryers Of 2020 - December 16, 2020