The 11 Best Black Eyeshadows For Smokey Eyes – 2023
Add some drama and intensity to your dreamy eyes with the most intensifying eye makeup.
No matter your outfit or the occasion, the best black eyeshadows can instantly glam you up or give you a warm, smokey appearance. It is the easiest to pick up and create dramatic, edgy looks or smokey eyes. Versatile, chic, and bold, black eyeshadows can create many looks without failing your expectations. If you are excited to experiment with black, we have listed the 11 best black eyeshadows for you. Take a look!
In This Article
Top 11 Black Eyeshadows In 2023
1. Best Dermatologist Tested:Maybelline Eyestudio Color Tattoo “Dramatic Black”
The Maybelline Eyestudio Color Tattoo in Dramatic Black has a creamy-gel formula with a matte finish. It is formulated with Maybelline’s Ink Technology and lasts up to 24 hours. This eyeshadow has a tattoo-like tenacity. The creamy formula is intensely pigmented and glides onto your lids without creasing. This eyeshadow is suitable for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers. This video will provide you with added insights about the product.
- Ultra long-lasting
- Suitable for sensitive eyes
- Short shelf life
2. Best Waterproof:L’Oreal Paris Infallible 24HR Shadow “Eternal Black”
The Infallible 24HR shadow by L’Oreal has a velvety formula – a bit powdery, a bit creamy. This unique texture ensures that the eyeshadow glides smoothly. It lasts up to 24 hours and is waterproof, crease-proof, and fade-resistant. It has an intense color and a shimmery finish, giving you opacity and opulence, all at once. Take a look at this video to know more about the product.
- Suitable for sensitive eyes
- Transfers easily
- Difficult to get glitter off
3. Best Long-Wearing:IS’MINE Single Eyeshadow Powder Palette
This single black eyeshadow palette by IS’MINE is excellent for parties, work, or just an everyday look. It is easy to wear, highly pigmented, and long-lasting. This eyeshadow has a natural, waterproof formula and a matte and shimmery finish.
- Highly pigmented
- Blends easily
- Not easy to take off
- Contains talc
- Contains mineral oil
4. Best Texture:Wet N Wild Color Icon Matte Eyeshadow
Wet N Wild Color Icon Matte Eyeshadow is a long-lasting formula that blends well and doesn’t fade or crease easily. Its satiny texture lets you create a dramatic smokey-eye look without crumbling. The eyeshadow blends effortlessly and can be applied as a standalone or layered to create depth and drama. It is a gluten-free and fragrance-free product, making it suitable for everyone.
- Satiny texture
- Long-lasting formula
- Blends seamlessly
- A little messy
5. Best Blending:Bloody Mary Eye Shadow
Bloody Mary Eyeshadow has a highly pigmented and easy-to-blend formula. It produces a high-impact, vibrant color that lasts long and delivers a crease-proof effect. It has a smooth texture that easily glides on the lid, and never produces uneven patches while blending. This lightweight formula is comfortable to wear while creating a soft black eyeshadow makeup look.
- Rich pigment
- Vibrant color
- Easy to use and remove
- Can be used as wet and dry formula
6. Best Vegan:e.l.f Liquid Glitter Eyeshadow
The e.l.f. Liquid Glitter Eyeshadow is an award-winning product that gives a classic eye look with a one-swipe application. This eye-catching formula lets you customize your look for beautiful, long-lasting results. It is formulated for comfortable wear, high impact, and minimum fall out. You can either apply this product on its own for a subtle, soft look or layer it on top of eyeshadow to create something out-of-the-box. It is a cruelty-free product and is free from harsh chemicals, making it ideal for most skin types.
- Easy to apply
- Versatile looks
- Minimum fall out
- High impact
7. Best Crease-Resistant:Anastasia Beverly Hills Waterproof Crème Color “Jet Matte”
The shade “Jet Matte” from Anastasia Beverly Hills is a cult-favorite, professional-grade, high definition, and ultra-pigmented eyeshadow. Its creamy consistency allows for precision application and full coverage. This eyeshadow blends easily and dries down to a matte finish. It is ideal for any look, be it full smokey eyes or a simple eyeliner. It is crease-resistant, waterproof, and long-lasting.
- Glides on easily
- Easy to apply
- Matte finish
- Low shelf life
- Transfers easily when wet
8. Best Allergen-Free:Alima Pure Satin Matte Eyeshadow
The Alima Pure Satin Eyeshadow is a loose mineral black eyeshadow with a matte finish. It is highly pigmented and versatile. This eyeshadow has a creamy matte finish and can double as an eyebrow filler. It can be applied dry or wet, depending on the intensity of color required. It is vegan and cruelty-free.
- Matte finish
- Highly pigmented
- Synthetic dye-free
- Easy to apply
9. Best Multitasking:Glo Skin Beauty Cream Stay Shadow Stick
Glo Skin Beauty Cream Stay Shadow Stick is a multi-purpose eyeshadow stick that can be used as a base, shadow, and liner. Its creamy texture and highly pigmented formula is easy to use and provides maximum versatility. This eyeshadow stick is integrated with a built-in sharpener to maintain the best eye shadow stick point to define your eyes. The creamy formula of this eyeshadow glides easily and lasts up to 12 hours.
- Easy to apply
- Twist up packaging
- Creamy formula
- Delivers intense color
- Not smudge-proof
10. Best Waterproof Formula:Julep Beauty Eyeshadow 101 Creme to Powder Waterproof Eyeshadow Stick
Julep Beauty Eyeshadow Creme-to-Powder Waterproof Eyeshadow Stick is a waterproof formula that doesn’t crease or fade easily, thus offering great results. This eyeshadow stick glides effortlessly across the lids and settles to a waterproof, crease-proof finish. It is infused with the goodness of vitamins C and E, which prevents the skin from drying out. It comes with a built-in smudger for smooth application and a waterproof powder finish.
- Blends effortlessly
- Ideal for sensitive eyes
- Smess-free application
- Highly pigmented
- Glides easily
- Not long-lasting
11. Best Pigmented:Stargazer Eye Shadow “Black”
This pressed eyeshadow from Stargazer is highly pigmented and long-wearing. It is easy to blend and buildable. This eyeshadow is crease-resistant. You can sweep it once for a sheer look or layer it for a more saturated look.
- Inconsistent quality
Black clothes and accessories have been signs of class and sophistication through the ages. The color is every fashionista’s first love. Now black has crept into the makeup world with nail paints, lipsticks, and eyeshadows. Black eyeshadows provide a look of sultry sexiness along with aura and finesse. So up your game with the perfect black eyeshadow, and let us guide you through how to buy the best black shadow for smokey eyes.
Things To Consider While Buying The Best Black Eyeshadow For Smokey Eyes
- Shades and Finish
- Shade: Black eyeshadows are available in light, dark and medium shades. Pick a high-pigment combo pack consisting of all hues. This will allow you to blend the different black shades onto your lids to achieve the perfect smokey eye look.
- Finish: Black eyeshadows can have a shiny, matte, or shimmery finish. Invest in a shimmery or shiny black shadow for dressy occasions like weddings. On the other hand, go for matte finish shadows for a casual lunch or semi-formal dinner.
- Water-proof: Opt for water-resistant and sweat-proof black eyeshadows. They do not smudge or drip due to heat, rain, or sweat.
- Buildable formula: Since black is a dark color, you do not want to thrust your eyes with it on the first application. So, pick a buildable or blendable black eyeshadow color. You can spread a buildable formula better and increase its intensity per your needs.
- Long-lasting: Select a black eyeshadow that lasts long and is smudge-proof. Check the package to see how long it promises to stay on. Pick a shadow that claims to last for at least 12 hours.
- Form: Black eyeshadow comes in a powder form or a creamy texture. For oily skin, a powder form is better, while if you have dry skin invest in a creamy formula.
- Moisturizing Formula: Pick an eyeshadow infused with nourishing ingredients like vitamin E or shea butter to keep your eyelids hydrated and soft. Dry formulas crack and cake easily and are also heavy on the eyes.
- Hypoallergenic: Pick a formula free of common allergens like parabens, alcohol, phthalate, synthetic fragrances, and preservatives. They irritate the eyes and cause infections. Additionally, make sure your shadow is talc-free to avoid itchiness.
These are the top 11 black eyeshadows you can buy. Black eyeshadow can seem intimidating and challenging to work with. Don’t worry, here are some tips on how to style black eyeshadow perfectly!
How To Wear Your Black Eyeshadow Perfectly
- Always prep the skin with primer and eyeshadow before actually starting your eye makeup. This ensures the eyeshadow has a base to stick on to. It also ensures uniformity in skin tone, so the eyeshadow pops out!
- Use eyeshadow tape to add a wing to your smokey eye. Put the tape at the angle of the desired wing and blending the black eyeshadow outwards. Remove the tape.
- For a sparkly-smokey eye, you can use either shimmery black eyeshadow or apply a layer of lip gloss over your regular eyeshadow.
- Always have a Q-tip handy to clean up any fallout or adjust any mistakes.
- Combine black eyeshadow with browns, burgundies, and bronze for a less dramatic look.
- Apply black eyeshadow as your crease color and keep your lids nude to create the illusion of big eyes.
- Combine black eyeshadow with a warm-toned color like orange to have your own Hunger Games: Catching Fire
- Pair your black eyeshadow with blue tones. Create a gradient with black on your lids, moving towards a more Prussian or cobalt blue on your crease for a bold look.
Eyeshadow palettes enhance your eye makeup look. It makes your eyes appear dramatic, smokey, and edgy. Although eyeshadows are available in different shades, the best black eyeshadow palettes give you a picture-perfect look. The products listed above offer intense pigmentation and glide well during application. Some of these formulas are also water-resistant and fade-resistant, therefore, minimizing reapplication. Our list features eyeshadow palettes suitable for sensitive eyes as well. But consider eyeshadows palettes that offer long lasting results and restrain from investing in products that provide uneven texture.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
Shalini Roy, the author of this article, is a makeup zealot. She relies on high-quality products to keep the skin safe. She has browsed through various eyeshadows in detail and went through hundreds of reviews online to bring you the best black eyeshadow. The eyeshadows listed above are long-lasting, highly pigmented, fade-resistant, and glide smoothly. They help you achieve smoky eyes, cat eyes, and cat wings.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you make black eyeshadow look good?
Black eyeshadow can be worn in many ways. You can try smokey eyes, smokey wings, opaque matte cat eye, sparkly smokey eye, cut crease, and many more looks with a black eyeshadow.
Which eye color does black eyeshadow suit the best?
Anyone can wear black eyeshadow, but it suits darker eyes best.
Can you use black eyeshadow as eyeliner?
Yes, you can use the creamy black eyeshadows as liners.
What eyeshadow is the best for dark brown eyes?
Golden eyeshadow is the best for dark brown eyes. Golden colors, such as copper, bronze, and rose gold, add a natural sparkle to the dark brown eyes.
Can you use black eyeshadow as lipstick?
Preferably no. Avoid applying eyeshadows with a powdery or chalky texture on the lids as they can dry out the lips. However, creamy eyeshadows can work as lipsticks.
How do beginners apply black eyeshadows?
• Apply eye primer on the lids.
• Swirl the brush on your eyeshadow and tap it to remove the excess product.
• Add a coat of black eyeshadow to your lids with soft compact motions.
• Swirl the brush the second time in the product and apply it to your crease between the brow bone and eyelid. Keep building the look with more product until the lid is evenly covered with the eyeshadow.
• Apply mascara to your lashes for a lifted look.
How do you blend black eyeshadow?
Use a smudge brush to blend the black eyeshadow. First, move the brush in small circles from the outer corner of the lids to the center. Next, move the brush back and forth across the crease area while blending the color horizontally. Then, drag the brush downward in a back-and-forth motion. Keep moving the brush until you are satisfied with the final look.
How do you make black eyeshadow darker?
• This is how you can make black eyeshadow darker are:
• Wear a primer to make the eyeshadow look more saturated.
• Use a white base for your lids. It will make your black eyeshadow pop out.
• Build your black shadow with more layers.
• Apply the shimmery black eyeshadow with a wet brush to add more color. But, avoid wetting your matte shade to • prevent changing the color.
- Stunning Black And White Eye Makeup Tutorial – With Detailed Steps And Pictures
- Black eyes! How to bring out its brilliance with makeup
- Best Eye Makeup Tutorials