Castile soaps have become increasingly popular in the past few years because of their versatility and eco-friendly nature. You can easily customize the soap base to cater to your needs, making it a fun DIY project. This gentle, vegan, non-toxic, and safe soap cleanses the skin without drying it out. Castile soaps are organic and free from harsh chemicals, so they are perfect for people with sensitive skin, babies, and even pets. They also work as all-purpose cleaners, disinfectants, and natural detergents. Let’s find out a little more about it in the next section.
Table Of Contents
What Is Castile Soap?
Castile soap is an eco-friendly plant-based soap that is versatile and effective. Since it is free from synthetic and toxic ingredients, it is natural and biodegradable. This gentle soap is safe and does not have any side effects. It originated in the Castile region of Spain in the 15th century where olive oil was used as a base. Now, plant and nut oils such as hemp, coconut, palm kernel, castor, jojoba, almond, avocado, and walnut oils are commonly used to make castile soap. These natural oils are moisturizing and lather well. They are effective cleansers when combined with lye or sodium carbonate. Since castile soap is completely free of animal products, it is popular among vegans. This multipurpose soap is available in liquid or bar form and is quite handy in the house.
How Does Castile Soap Differ From Regular Soap?
Animal fat or ‘tallow’ is the base used in most regular soaps, while castile soaps are exclusively made with plant-based ingredients. This makes it vegan and cruelty-free. It does not contain synthetic fragrances, preservatives, or harsh chemicals, and it is non-toxic and biodegradable. Most often, the ingredients used are organic and ethically sourced. Even the packaging and processing of the soap are done keeping in mind to minimize wastage. Thus, castile soaps are more environmentally sustainable than regular soaps.
The versatility is another area where castile soaps are far more superior than regular soaps as they can be used in household cleaners, disinfectants, shampoos, and soaps for pets, babies, and DIY beauty products. They are affordable and convenient.
The popularity of castile soaps has led to their surge in the market. So, we have researched and compiled a list of the 15 best castile soaps currently available. Check them out below!
15 Best Castile Soaps Available Right Now
Dr.Bronner’s has been making castile soaps since 1858, and the 18-In-1 Hemp Peppermint Pure-Castile Liquid Soap is their most popular variant. It comes in a concentrated form, so you need to dilute it to use it for multiple purposes like washing your hair, body, and face, rinsing food, cleaning dishes, mopping, laundry, etc. It is made with vegan ingredients and comes in a 100% post-consumer recycled bottle.
- Invigorating peppermint aroma
- Soothing after-feel
- Creates a soft lather
- No foaming agents
- Leaves hair greasy if used as a shampoo
Quinn’s Unscented Castile Soap is fragrance-free, so you can create your own signature soaps by adding your favorite essential oils. As it does not contain any essential oils, it works well for people with sensitive skin. It is very versatile and can be used for a variety of purposes like cleaning dishes, laundry detergent, pet care, window cleaner, shampoo, face wash, shaving cream, weed killer, cleaning spray, and carpet cleaner.
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Safe for babies
- Leaves little residue
- Nourishes the hair
- No chemicals or foaming agents
- Not very concentrated
La Almona Pure Castile Liquid Soap is an all-purpose liquid soap manufactured with organic olive oil and other natural ingredients in Castilla, Spain. The ingredients used in it are olive oil, coconut oil, shea butter, rosemary extract, and sunflower oil, so you can expect a deeply moisturizing and cleansing lather. It is fragrance-free, so it is ideal for babies, pets, and people with sensitive skin. It works well as a laundry detergent, carpet cleaner, and dish-washing soap as well.
- All-natural ingredients
- Keeps skin moisturized
- Gentle on the skin
- Thin consistency
Carolina Gentle Unscented Castile Soap contains more olive oil than other brands, so it is non-drying and leaves your skin feeling soft and moisturized. It is fragrance-free and does not contain hemp as an ingredient, making it great for people with allergies and sensitive skin. It is certified organic and does not contain synthetic fragrances or foaming agents. It works well as soap, shaving cream, laundry detergent, and daily house cleaner.
- Does not dry out the skin
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Leaves very little residue
- Leaves skin soft and moisturized
- Unpleasant fragrance
Cove Pure And Vegan Castile Soap is made entirely with certified organic oils to deliver a fresh and effective cleansing experience every time you use it. It is unscented and made with essential oils of argan and jojoba, so it works well on people with sensitive skin, babies, and pets. It is very versatile and can be used as a body soap, laundry detergent, pet shampoo, baby wash, kitchen and bathroom surface cleaner, dish-washing liquid, and shaving cream. It also comes with a 90-day No Questions Asked satisfaction guarantee.
- l Made with certified organic oils
- l Does not dry out the skin
- l Unscented
- l No detergents or foaming agents
- l Cruelty-free
- l Suitable for babies and pets
- l Suitable for sensitive skin
- l Multipurpose
- Thin consistency
Dr. Woods Tea Tree Castile Soap is good not just for your family but the whole planet. It is made with all-natural and vegan raw ingredients and is free from detergents, petroleum, and sulfates. Tea tree oil’s antibacterial properties work effectively against acne and improve your skin health. This soap can be used for multiple purposes like as a body wash, shampoo, laundry detergent, facial cleanser, and all-purpose cleaner.
- Antibacterial properties
- Treats acne
- Leaves skin nourished and hydrated
- Suitable for all skin types
- Odd fragrance
Seven Minerals Pure Castile Soap is the only castile soap that contains organic castor oil, which helps soothe inflammation and nourishes the skin. It is EWG-verified and contains only organic oils and natural vegan ingredients. It is free from environmentally damaging palm oil and can be used to clean almost anything. You can use it as a hand soap, body wash, shampoo, house cleaner, and dish soap. It is unscented and gentle enough to be used on even the most sensitive skin.
- Soothes inflammation
- Nourishes the skin
- Made with organic oils
- Effective on eczema, psoriasis, and dryness
- Palm oil-free
- Comes with a free recipe Ebook to create your own cleansers
- Suitable for oily, sensitive, and dry skin types
- Requires quite a bit of product to produce sufficient lather
Kirk’s is a brand that has been around since 1839 making high-quality soaps. Kirk’s Gentle Castile Soap is made of 100% pure coconut oil and has a fresh and clean scent. It creates a gentle and creamy lather that leaves your skin feeling soft and healthy. It is dermatologist-tested and safe for people with sensitive skin.
- Made of 100% pure coconut oil
- Dermatologist tested
- Safe for sensitive skin
- Creates a gentle and creamy lather
- May cause skin burns in some people
If anything can be called the Swiss Army knife of cleaning, it has to be Bronner’s 18-In-1 Hemp Lavender Pure-Castile Liquid Soap. You can use it to not only wash your face, body, and hair but also to clean dishes, wash clothes, mop floors, and rinse fruits and vegetables. What makes it even better is its gorgeous lavender fragrance that relaxes your mind and soothes your skin. It is made of natural and organic ingredients with no synthetic preservatives, making it safe for people with sensitive skin.
- Made with over 90% organic ingredients
- Relaxes your mind
- Soothes the skin
- Amazing fragrance
- No synthetic preservatives or detergents
Natural Way Organics Unscented Castile Liquid Soap is made with a special blend of coconut, olive, and jojoba oils combined with some of the best essential oils. It works as a highly effective cleanser and can be used to wash your hair, body, and face, mop floors, and wash your clothes. Since it is a mild soap, it does not dry out your skin and works great for people with sensitive skin.
- Made with 100% organic ingredients
- Highly effective
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Free of artificial colors
- Tends to leave residue
Dr. Bronner’s Heal Soul! 18-In-1 Hemp Tea Tree Pure-Castile Liquid Soap contains pure tea tree oil, which is very effective in clearing acne and dandruff. It is 3 times more concentrated than conventional liquid soaps. It is free of synthetic preservatives, foaming agents, and detergents, making it safe for your pets. Also, It is not tested on animals. It comes packaged in 100% post-consumer recycled bottles.
- Made with over 70% certified fair-trade ingredients
- Treats acne
- Clears dandruff and relieves itchy scalp
- No synthetic preservatives or foaming agents
- Great at removing stains from clothes
- Safe for pets
- Strong fragrance
L & L Liquid Natural Clean Castile Liquid Soap is handcrafted in small batches with 100% pure vegan ingredients. It contains non-GMO sunflower oil that is high in vitamin E, which makes your skin smooth and keeps it healthy. Since it is unscented, you can add your favorite essential oils to it to create your own signature scent. No artificial colors or fragrances are used in it, and it can be used as a soap, shampoo, detergent, or floor cleaner.
- Handcrafted in small batches
- Can be used without diluting
- Smoothens the skin
- Thin consistency
Dr. Bronner’s 18-In-1 Hemp Citrus Orange Pure-Castile Soap is made with a blend of organic orange, lemon, and lime oils that makes it smell fresh and feels really light after using. It brightens your skin and improves its texture. With its 18-in-1 uses, this soap can be used not just to cleanse face, body, and hair but also to clean dishes, do your laundry, mop floors, and rinse foods. This castile soap is made with only the purest organic ingredients, of which most are also fair-trade ingredients.
- l Fresh citrus fragrance
- l Brightens the skin
- l Improves the skin texture
- l Made with 90% organic ingredients
- l Multipurpose
- l Packaged in 100% post-consumer recycled bottles
- This consistency
A Wild Soap Bar Real Castile Bar Soap is a non-toxic and fragrance-free soap made with 100% certified organic extra virgin olive oil. It does not contain palm oil or coconut oil that can cause environmental harm. It is a mild soap and works really well for people with allergies and sensitive skin. It is ultra-moisturizing and does not dry out your skin after use. It is handmade by a small family business.
- Made with 100% saponified organic extra virgin olive oil
- Gentle formula
- Suitable for very sensitive skin
- Lathers well
- Has a distinct smell that may not be liked by every one
Prairie Essentials Pure Castile Soap is made with pure ingredients like certified organic shea butter and natural oils of coconut, palm, kernel, olive, hemp, and rosemary that help retain your hair and skin’s natural moisture. It is safe to use as baby shampoo, body wash, hand soap, shampoo, facial cleanser, dish soap, household cleaning soap, or foaming hand soap.
- Made with 100% pure and natural ingredients
- Helps retain the skin and hair’s natural moisture
- Safe for babies
- Comes with several recipes on the bottle
- Unsatisfactory packaging
There are many brands that manufacture castile soaps, but we can’t be sure of their quality. So, we have featured a few established brands for you to choose from in the section. Check them out!
Best Castile Soaps Brands
- Dr.Bronner: Dr. Bronner is, hands down, the most established and popular brand for castile soap. They use pure castile liquid made from organic, vegan ingredients like hemp oil, coconut oil, and almond oil. They come in 100% post-consumer recycled bottles. This environmentally conscious brand does not use any synthetic detergents, preservatives, or artificial fragrances. They contain peppermint oil, tea tree oil, or lavender oil in their variants. Unscented soaps for hypersensitive skin types are also available. This biodegradable, non-toxic soap also has vitamin A and sodium hydroxide for their anti-aging and cleansing properties.
- Dr. Woods: Dr. Woods is another brand popular for manufacturing biodegradable castile soap. They use certified organic products and avoid animal fat or by-products. The most popular plant oil they use as a base is olive oil. Their soaps moisturize the skin and have a subtle fragrance.
- Cove: Cove also makes environmentally sustainable castile soap with vegan, natural ingredients. They do not use synthetic ingredients or animal fats. This brand does not add any artificial detergents or lathering agents to their castile soaps.
- Oregon: These soaps are perfect for people with sensitive skin. The brand uses high-quality, organic, and biodegradable ingredients to manufacture their soaps. These soaps are gentle and can be used on the delicate skin of babies. This brand is affordable and maintains good quality.
Now, let’s check out all the benefits of using castile soap.
What Are The Benefits Of Using Castile Soap?
There are numerous benefits and uses of castile soap:
- It cleanses the skin gently without exposing it to toxic chemicals and irritants, making it an excellent choice for sensitive skin.
- It is safe to use on babies, pets, and people with skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, and acne and dry, patchy skin.
- The hydrating and moisturizing properties of the oils in the soap nourish and repair the skin cells. They soothe dry, irritated skin and prevent it from losing moisture.
- This organic soap also melts away the dirt and gunk on the skin, making it clean and soft.
- It has natural antimicrobial properties that help in fighting bacteria and other harmful germs.
- The ingredients in the soap offer antioxidant protection against free radicals and pollutants.
- These eco-friendly soaps lather well and make your skin clean, soft, and healthy.
Listed below are some of the uses of castile soap. Check them out.
Ways To Use Castile Soap
Natural Cleanser: As face and body wash and in scrubs and face packs.
- Shaving Cream: Its rich lather makes it great for shaving.
- Shampoo: It is an excellent hair and scalp cleanser.
- Soap For Sensitive Skin Conditions: Like eczema and psoriasis.
- Pet Wash: It is a safe and non-toxic cleanser for pets.
- All-Purpose Household Cleaner: It can be used as a bathroom/toilet cleaner, floor mopping liquid, and window cleaner.
- Disinfectant: You canclean wounds and get rid of pesticides from vegetables and fruits.
- Detergent: Can be used to wash dishes (dish soap, liquid dishwasher detergent) as well as clothes (laundry detergent).
- Deodorant: To get rid of body odor
- Decongestant: The steam from castile soap helps clear sinuses.
- Foot Bath: Ideal for pedicures, foot spas, and foot soaks.
- Oral Hygiene: Can be used to clean teeth as an ingredient in toothpastes and mouthwashes.
- Makeup Remover: Can help you remove makeup. It is also used to clean makeup brushes.
- Bug Spray: Can get rid of ants and pesky insects in the garden.
Castile soap’s versatile nature has made it very popular. It has a plethora of uses in the house apart from being a great cleanser for the body. This non-toxic, biodegradable, and vegan soap is organic and eco-friendly. Grab one of the castile soaps listed above to reap its many benefits!
Expert’s Answers for Readers Questions
Is castile soap better than regular soap?
Yes, castile soap is more eco-friendly than regular soap. It contains plant-based oils and does not contain harsh preservatives. It is also cheaper than regular soap. Castile soaps are preferred by vegans as they do not contain animal products which are commonly found in regular soaps.
Is castile soap good for disinfecting?
Yes, castile soap has antibacterial properties that help in disinfecting surfaces and items. This soap can be used in household cleansers, detergents, and disinfectant soaps to kill disease-causing germs. Adding essential oils with antimicrobial properties enhances the efficacy of these disinfectant soaps.
Can you use pure castile soap on your vagina?
Your vagina has the ability to cleanse itself by flushing out toxins and maintaining the optimum balance of microflora. It is advised to gently wash it only with warm water. You can use castile soap to clean the area around the vagina as it is free from harsh chemicals and fragrances.
Is castile soap antifungal?
Tea tree oil-based castile soap can help you fight fungal infections, especially when combined with other ingredients that have strong antifungal properties.
Is castile soap antiviral?
Pure castile soap does not have strong antiviral properties. However, blending it with essential oils that have antiviral properties may help in combating viruses.
- 10 Simple Homemade Body Wash Recipes
- 11 Best Organic Body Washes Of 2020
- 8 Homemade Coconut Oil Shampoo Recipes For Beautiful Hair
- Oriflame Milk And Honey Soap Reviews
- 15 Best Body Washes For Acne – Our Top Picks for 2020
Latest posts by Annie Jangam (see all)
- 7 Best Ash Blonde Hair Dyes Of 2020 - October 29, 2020
- 10 Best CONAIR Straighteners Of 2020 With A Buyer’s Guide - October 23, 2020
- 10 Best Wobble Cushions Of 2020 – Reviews, Exercises, And Buying Guide - October 15, 2020
- 17 Best Natural Toners Of 2020 - October 14, 2020
- 8 Best Holographic Nail Polishes Of 2020 - October 13, 2020