Are you wondering why your hair takes ages to grow? Lack of keratin protein could be the reason! Now, whether you are sulking after a bad haircut or dealing with dry, lifeless, and damaged hair, all your tresses need is a protein boost to recharge and grow. And to tell you a little more about this protein, your hair produces keratin protein naturally and it keeps your tresses supple, flexible and helps stimulate hair growth. However, several factors such as excess styling, treatments, heat damage, environmental stresses, and more can hinder this production and leave your hair looking lifeless and dull. Hence a protein shampoo! Now, who is ready to try the best protein shampoo of 2020?
Though there are umpteen options to choose from, we took the liberty to filter the top ones for you. Check out our list of 13 best protein shampoos for hair growth:
Read on to know more!
Table Of Contents
Help Your Hair Grow With 13 Best Protein Shampoos of 2020
Not one or two, L’oreal Paris Repairing Shampoo can tackle 5 signs of damage! Do you have split ends or dehydrated, rough, weak, and dull hair? If yes, then this shampoo can fight them all with its protein and ceramide elixirs! Fortifying each strand to be stronger, healthier, and soft, it’s one of the best options to revive the lost shine of your crown in a hair wash. Plus, it is intensely nourishing as it seals in the nutrients required to stimulate hair growth too. Yep, give it a try already!
- Provides thermal protection
- Strengthens and revives hair fiber
- Detangles knots and prevents breakage
- Ideal for damaged hair
- Intense scent
- Thick consistency
Formulated to recognize and refill the missing protein in your hair, this keratin-packed black rice formula is a godsend for damaged hair. Repairing and revitalizing the strands to look silky and healthier, it also leaves hair smooth, cleansed, and nourished at the same time! With a protein-fusion blend, Nexxus Keraphix not only heals damaged hair but also fortifies strands to grow quicker and healthier as well. A combination of science and nature for your precious mane, it’s worth a try, don’t you think!
- Restores optimal strength
- Repairs hair fiber inside out
- Clinically-proven and silicone-free
- Suitable for severely damaged and all hair types
- Slightly greasy
There are several reasons why your hair could be distressed or damaged, and here’s a shampoo that guarantees to restore them to their natural beauty! Claiming to reduce breakage by 75%, it also eliminates split ends and other hair damages with its intense soy protein formula. Though named extreme, it is gentle on hair but aggressively tackles damages and helps your strands heal back to its optimal strength with every use. And besides this, it leaves your hair clean and fresh too! Give it a try.
- Maintains optimal strength
- Improves manageability
- Ensures healthier hair ends
- Leaves hair silky-soft and shiny
- Restores protein balance of your hair
- Slightly greasy if not rinsed out thoroughly
While other shampoos in the market may provide cleansing and nourishing benefits, Design Essentials goes a step ahead to intensely clean impurities and nourish your hair with oat protein and henna! And the good part is, it cleanses without stripping the natural oils! Smoothing out the hair shaft and strengthening it too, this nourishing hair wash is formulated to leave your hair thicker, shinier, and healthier in a wash. Try it to witness the difference!
- Improves manageability
- Detangles knots easily
- Stimulates hair growth
- Leaves hair bouncy and light
- Adds volume and eliminates buildups
- Silicone-free, sulfate-free, and cruelty-free
- Suitable for fine and weak hair
- Slightly drying for dry hair
Did you know excess oil can clog the pores and thwart hair growth? So, if you have an oily scalp or are dealing with hair fall, then Biotique Bio Kelp Protein Shampoo is a must-try for you. Thoroughly cleaning out the oil, dirt, and other buildups, it also nourishes hair with natural proteins, mint leaf extract, peppermint oil, and pure kelp intensely. A great combination of cleansing and nourishing, it also claims to offer a deep protein treatment to stimulate hair growth. Do not miss it!
- Ayurvedic cleanser
- Reduces hair fall
- Boosts volume and shine
- Suitable for oily and fine hair
- Slightly drying
Flip your hair with confidence when you have this volumizer in your kitty! A great option for those with thin or fragile hair, this ultra-mild cleanser will boost the volume and make your hair appear healthier instantly. Infused with soy protein and cranberry that ensure intense nourishing even during cleansing, this easy-lather formula will not weigh down your hair or leave any residue behind as well. Do you still want to stick to your old shampoo?
- Gentle and lightweight
- Leaves hair soft and shiny
- Ideal for sensitive scalp
- Hypoallergenic and EWG-verified
- Ecologo-certified, vegan, and cruelty-free
- Overwhelming scent
- Not recommended for dry hair
Do you prefer a shampoo that lathers up luxuriously? Then get ready to loosen those purse strings because this protein shampoo will turn every hair wash into a grand affair! And that’s not all; its ultra-rich formula contains keratin and Phytol IV Complex to repair damages, boost moisture levels and strengthen the strands inside out. Also, its cleansing power is no joke as it leaves your hair thoroughly clean, fresh, and manageable. Why skip something that’s bliss?
- Color-safe and boosts volume
- Leaves hair healthy and shiny
- Imparts nutrients to promote hair growth
- Sulfate-free, sodium chloride-free, paraben-free, and gluten-free
More like superfood for your hair! Aubrey GPB Balancing Protein Shampoo is packed with 75% organic ingredients such as jojoba oil, shea butter, aloe vera, and more to nourish your hair and scalp as it cleanses. Also, is your hair damaged? No problem. This blend contains not one but two proteins— milk protein and glycoprotein that fortify the strands to soak in the nutrients for healing. Repairing damaged areas, strengthening and reviving weak hair as well, there’s no reason why you should give this protein cleanser a miss.
- Gentle and cruelty-free
- Improves manageability
- Leaves hair soft and moisturized
- Provides light hydration to hair and scalp
- Eliminates split ends and tames the frizz
- Free from phthalates, paraben, sulfates, and gluten
- Suitable for chemically-treated, brittle, and frizzy hair
- Thin consistency
- Not recommended if you prefer a rich lather
Don’t give up on your damaged hair yet, when Aveda has a Damage Remedy Shampoo for you! Given how chemical treatments, everyday stress, and thermal styling can damage your hair’s optimal strength, this remedy is blended to restore your hair to its healthy state. How? All thanks to its quinoa protein and babassu oil surfactants that rinse out the damage-causing impurities and fortify strands to heal and repair intensely. So, if you want to see your hair healthy, soft, and shiny again, you might as well give Aveda Damage Remedy Shampoo a try.
- Reconstructing formula
- Gentle and improves manageability
- Strengthens and smoothens hair shaft
- Suitable for all hair types
Is lack of moisture turning your hair into a frizz show? Or wondering how to hydrate your thirsty tresses? You need this moisture-packed shampoo for starters! Formulated to restore your scalp and hair to its optimal moisture state, it leaves no reason for your tresses to look dull, dehydrated, or frizz again. Also, it improves elasticity with the infused wheat protein and hydrolyzed keratin and strengthens hair as well. Still, want to miss it?
- Gentle and ultra-moisturizing
- Leaves hair smooth, soft, and shiny
- Provides intense hydration and conditioning
- Improves manageability and prevents breakage
- Protects from heat damage and detangles knots
- Safe for damaged and dry hair
- Suitable for all hair types
- Greasy if not rinsed out thoroughly
Are you dealing with an itchy scalp or dandruff? Go organic with this protein shampoo that is antiseptic and dermatologist-tested. Packed with all-natural ingredients, it contains tea tree oil, plant extracts, vitamins, and aloe vera. With tea tree oil hydrating, soothing, and cleaning the scalp, the aloe vera, on the other hand, conditions and nourishes the tresses back to its shining glory. Chemical-free and a great option to cleanse out the impurities, bacteria, and fungus build-up, do not skip this one!
- Relieves itchiness
- Locks in natural oils
- Eliminates excess oil and dirt
- Reduces breakage and improves elasticity
- Leaves hair soft, revitalized, and flake-free
- Color-safe, sulfate-free, SLS-free, and cruelty-free
- May leave hair frizzy
Making all your happy hair dreams come true is this gentle cleanser infused with pro-vitamin B5! Reviving weak follicles and fortifying strands to bask in the protein blend, it’s a must-try for those dealing with stressed, damaged, or dull hair due to environmental issues. Also, it leaves your hair soft, shiny, and so smooth that you can’t help but flaunt them!
- Reduces breakages
- Leaves hair clean, light, and fresh
- Adds a healthy volume and shine
- Improves elasticity and manageability
- Thin consistency
Here’s one from the Asians! Considering how gorgeous and stunning their tresses are, La’dor Keratin LPP Shampoo could be the secret. Also, it’s protein-packed! Infused with hydrolyzed keratin, hydrolyzed wheat protein, and hydrolyzed silk, it strengthens, protects, and repairs damages all in one wash. Besides this, it shields from thermal styling, sun damages, and lockouts humidity too. Want more? It also protects the natural keratin protein of your hair. Yep, give it a try if you haven’t already!
- Gentle cleanser
- Ensures intense hydration
- Leaves hair soft, shiny, and smooth
- Reduces breakage and improves elasticity
- Prevents future damages and protects hair color
- Silicone-free, paraben-free, and tar color-free
- Suitable for damaged, dry, chemically-treated, and heat-exposed hair
Bask in the power of protein for gorgeous hair this season! There you go, those were the 13 best protein shampoos for hair growth. To know more about protein shampoos or how to choose the right one, we’ve revealed it all in our buying guide below.
How To Choose The Right Protein Shampoo For Your Hair Type?
Simple! Follow our guide, and we bet you’ll end up with the right one for your hair:
Hair type: Rather than choosing any protein shampoo, check if it is suitable for your hair type and texture. Protein shampoos are available for dry, normal, oily, curly, and wavy hair. Also, they are formulated for color-treated, damaged, stressed, and chemically-treated hair too. So, choose according to your hair type.
Strengthening formula: To help your hair grow quicker and healthy, you need to replenish the weak strands. Hence, protein may not be enough, so look out for other active ingredients as well that can create an ideal environment for your hair to grow.
Intense cleansing: Cleansing is as essential as nourishing. If your hair and scalp are not free of impurities, excess oils, and sweat, it will block out the nutrients, thus resulting in weak and breakage-prone hair. So, pick a shampoo that not only nourishes with protein but provides intense cleansing too.
Flexible strands: Choose a protein shampoo that ensures supple and flexible strands. This will reduce the chances of breakage and also help your hair grow stronger and quicker.
Chemical-free: Lastly, the shampoo should be free of harsh chemicals that can reverse the effects of protein and end up stripping the natural oils! So, check if the shampoo is free of parabens, sulfates, phthalates, and more.
How Often Should You Use A Protein Shampoo?
Alternate days at least if you are dealing with very dry, damaged, or fine hair. However, using it daily is not advised because an overdose of protein can lead to greasiness or buildup, which can further cause hair problems.
Benefits Of Protein Shampoo
There are many! Especially if you are dealing with breakage-prone, weak, or lifeless hair, then a protein shampoo is a must-have.
Here are some of its benefits:
- Strengthens hair inside out
- Smoothes out split ends, tames frizz, and reduces breakage
- Provides intense hydration, nourishment, and conditioning
- Improves elasticity, manageability, and adds a healthy volume
- Leaves hair looking thicker, shinier, smooth, and soft
- Restores the optimal moisture and protein levels to stimulate hair growth
The secret to long, healthy, and flaunt-worthy hair is now yours! Adding a healthy volume and stunning shine, there is no better way to bring back your natural and gorgeous hair than with a protein boost! Just what your tresses need to recharge and revive, we hope our list of 13 best protein shampoos has the one for you. Now, what are you waiting for? Go pick your shampoo and let the “hair goals” selfies begin!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Protein Shampoo Good For Your Hair?
Protein shampoos are highly recommended for dry, damaged, and chemically-treated hair. The infused keratin protein not only works at strengthening weak follicles but creates an ideal environment for your hair to grow healthy as well.
Does Protein Shampoo Help Hair Grow?
Yes, protein shampoos help revive dull and thin hair by restoring the lost keratin protein, which is required to stimulate healthy hair growth.
Is Protein Shampoo Good For Curly Hair?
Absolutely! Given how curly or textured hair is prone to frizz or split ends, a protein shampoo can help tame the frizz and smoothen out the cuticles to give you healthy, bouncy, and defined curls.
Can A Protein Shampoo Cause Hair Loss?
Overdose of protein can lead to brittleness and hair loss too. Hence, using a protein shampoo daily or frequently is not recommended.
Can A Protein Shampoo Cause Dandruff?
It depends on how often you wash your hair or how thoroughly you rinse out the shampoo residue. Sometimes, too much protein can make your hair greasier, thus leading to build up and dandruff. Also, the lack of keratin protein can result in dryness, which in turn increases flakiness.
How Do You Know If Your Hair Needs Protein?
Loss of keratin protein can make your hair look dull, dehydrated, brittle, and in worse cases, lead to slower hair growth, hair loss, and breakage too. So, if you are suffering from damaged hair, then lack of protein could be the reason.
Latest posts by Chaitra Krishnan (see all)
- Keep Your Skin Hydrated With These 13 Best Humidifiers For Dry Skin In 2021 - March 22, 2021
- 19 Makeup Mistakes That Are Dangerously Aging Your Look - March 19, 2021
- Groom Your Nails With The 15 Best Nail Clippers Of 2021! - March 17, 2021
- Recharge Your Skin With 15 Best Drugstore Sheet Masks Of 2021 - March 15, 2021
- How Scary Is It Being A Woman? 11 Real-life Experiences Shared By Women From Across The Country - March 10, 2021