Hair relaxers are used for straightening hair. They are most often used by women with curly tresses. In fact, relaxers are a great alternative to in-salon keratin treatments, especially when it comes to the cost, the maintenance, and the time and effort involved. In this article, we have compiled a list of the top hair relaxers specifically meant for black hair. Check out our list of the top relaxers for black hair. Scroll down to get started!
Table Of Contents
10 Best Relaxers For Black Hair
SoftSheen-Carson has been transforming all the consumers of African descent with a plethora of beauty products by customizing them as per their needs. This No-Lye relaxer is infused with shea butter, jojoba, and avocado oil to give moisture, shine, strength, softness, and volume to hair. This home relaxer kit comes in three new components: the healthy-gloss 5 moisture conditioner, healthy-gloss 5 moisture hair creme, and silk keratin serum for soft, non-frizzy hair.
- Easy to apply at home
- Gives straight, sleek, and shiny hair
- Preserves 5 signs of healthy hair
- Infused with natural ingredients to lock moisture
- Lasts for 6 weeks
- Makes hair dry
- Not good for thick hair.
- Not suitable for all colored hair.
The Avlon Affirm Hair Relaxer provides maximum scalp comfort and nourishment while relaxing hair. The smooth relaxer’s revolutionary formula helps retain 76% of fiber elasticity while straightening your hair completely. This sensitive scalp relaxer conditions the hair and reduces irritation and dryness in the scalp. The liquid crystalline technology and the blend of exotic conditioning ingredients result in smooth and straight hair.
- Best for sensitive scalp
- A great relaxer for soft, smooth hair
- Rinses out easily without leaving any oily residue
- No breakage formula
The SoftSheen Carson Optimum No-Lye Relaxer helps one achieve a salon-like and professional straightened hair at home. This supreme conditioning cream is infused with strengthening ceramide and coconut oil to maintain hair moisture. This results in a smooth and silky appearance. The ceramides keep the hair cuticle flat, enhance shine, and prevent hair from breakage. They also help increase elasticity of each hair strand and retain moisture.
This home hair relaxer kit comes with six easy and effective products, including the protective pre-treatment, conditioning relaxer cream, activator, neutralizing shampoo, reconstructor, and leave-in strengthener. It also has a whipped oil moisturizer for one application or two retouches. The whipped oil moisturizer will get you a salon-like straight hair in six easy steps with 90% less breakage. It is suitable for normal hair.
- Contains ceramide to prevent hair breakage
- Easy 6-step application
- Contains whipped oil moisturizer
- Reduces 90% breakage
- Infused with coconut oil for extra hydration
- Long-lasting no-lye relaxer
- Leaves hair soft and smooth
- Does not uncurl Caucasian hair.
- May cause a burning sensation in the scalp.
The Avlon Fiber Guard Sensitive Scalp Relaxer Kit is a four-step no-lye relaxer kit that preserves up to 40% of the hair strength. It is formulated with Avlon’s exclusive Fiber Strengthening Complex (FSC) that reinforces and restructures the hair fibers and strengthens them from the roots. The strengthening polymer in the straightening cream penetrates deep into the roots, and offers tensile strength and elasticity to the hair fibers after the relaxing process.
It retards osmotic pressure build-up, provides optimum care, and protects your hair from environmental pollutants and mechanical stresses while styling. This popular relaxer restores moisture and shine while giving body to hair. It is an ideal scalp comfort solution for a sensitive scalp.
- Available in 3 formulas – mild, normal, and resistant strength
- Penetrates deep to give tensile strength
- Fixes hair fibers
- Restores moisture and shine
- Infused with an advanced formula
- Suitable for color-treated or dry or damaged hair
- Gentle on hair
- Retains natural hair texture
- Contains fiber guard
- Does not cause a burning sensation
The ORS Olive Oil Professional Creme Relaxer provides extraordinary conditioning. It utilizes olive oil and lanolin to protect hair from the damaging effects of a relaxer. Olive oil is a natural elixir that moisturizes hair and leaves it soft, silky, and manageable. Lanolin is a greasy material that provides moisture to each hair strand and acts as a protective barrier to lock in the hydration.
- Retains hair moisture
- Sleeks down hair in just a few minutes
- Pre-mixed cream
- Neutralizing shampoo needs to be purchased separately.
- No refund policy
- May cause a burning sensation in the scalp.
The TCB No-Base Hair Relaxer is specially formulated for the African American hair type. This relaxer contains natural oils, protein, and DNA to strengthen and protect hair while relaxing it. The mineral oil and petroleum jelly in the relaxer act as an excellent protective barrier that reduce scalp irritation during the process. The infused protein protects each strand of hair and reduces damage by providing structural support. This unique conditioner relaxer leaves hair soft, smooth, silky, and manageable and gives it a perfect volume. This works as a great relaxer for texturized, colored, and permed hair.
- Hair relaxer with protein and DNA
- Maintains structural integrity of hair strands
- Does not irritate the scalp
- Gives a silky smooth hair texture
- Good for both men and women
- Does not come with a neutralizing shampoo and gloves.
- Leaves hair dry and frizzy.
The Luster’s ShortLooks Color Relaxer for black hair is a 3-in-1 solution for your entire hair care routine. You don’t have to look for a separate hair straightener, hair color, hair conditioner, and spend a bomb on each product. This relaxer is blended with natural ingredients to relax, color, and conditioned hair for easy styling and a professional look. The Lustre’s ShortLooks Color Relaxer contains shea butter that naturally moisturizes dry or damaged hair. It is easily absorbed deep into the scalp and nourishes hair from the roots. You can just color, relax, and condition your hair in just 30 minutes without any hassle. The unique combination straightens new hair growth for about 4 inches or shorter. The conditioner locks in the moisture.
- 3-in-1 solution for the entire hair care routine
- Locks moisture in the roots
- Easy to apply
- Available in passion red, diamond black, and sable brown shades
- Gives your hair volume
- Reduces hair graying
- Only good for short hair.
- Color fades quickly after few washes.
The Hawaiian Silky No-Lye Relaxer is formulated with essential oils and lithium hydroxide that strengthen hair and prevent any messy build-up. It provides a natural shine to curls and waves. Lithium hydroxide is a “no-mix” type alkali hair relaxer that straightens hair. Jojoba oil is rich in vitamins and minerals and is a natural straightening agent. It also prevents hair loss. The blend of mink oil improves hair appearance and texture. It is available in mild, regular, and super varieties to change hair texture as per your wish and style.
- Blend of jojoba oil and mink oil
- Nurtures each hair strand
- No-mix type hair relaxer
- Moisturizes hair for a natural bouncy look
- No damage on the scalp
- Not suitable for colored hair.
Dr. Miracle’s New Growth No-Lye relaxer also detangles curls and conditions your hair to make it more smooth and shiny. The kit comes with a relaxer, activator, neutralizing shampoo, and a leave-in conditioner, along with a spatula and blending oil for a root touch-up. It is made with a natural blend of vitamins, minerals, sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, and aloe that hydrate hair deep from the scalp and nourish hair down to the core. Sweet almond oil also prevents breakage, split ends, and itchy scalp. Its emollient properties leave hair soft and smooth.
- Do not cause irritation
- Relaxes the scalp
- Moisturizes from root to tip
- Prevents hair breakage
- Overall solution for straightening hair and post-care
- Small jar size
The ORS Olive Oil Organic Root Stimulator contains moisturizing olive oil and natural herbs to stimulate roots and nourish and protect the hair during the relaxing process. The hydrolyzed collagen, castor oil, and coconut oil in the relaxer nourish the scalp deeply.
- Blend of natural ingredients
- Leaves hair lustrous
- Strengthens hair strands from the roots
- Works perfect for a year
- Not suitable for curly hair.
- May cause a burning sensation on the scalp.
These are the top 10 relaxers for black hair. They are easy to use and help you achieve those straight tresses you always dreamed off. But before you go ahead and pick your favorite, you need to be aware of certain factors. Not all relaxers are made equal, and picking the wrong product can do more harm than good. In the following section, we have listed out what you need to check in a hair relaxer (for black hair) before you make the purchase.
How To Buy The Best Relaxer For Black Hair
Ensure you make your best purchase by following this checklist:
- Choose a no-lye relaxer (mild and good for sensitive scalps) with a low pH. The relaxer should be able to balance the pH between your hair and scalp.
- Choose a relaxer kit. It contains a suitable neutralizer shampoo, an activator, along with a conditioner.
- A relaxer should have a blend of natural oils – like olive oil, jojoba oil, mink oil – along with the right relaxer. Aloe vera is another important ingredient. Natural ingredients nourish the scalp, provide hydration, and strengthen the hair roots. The botanicals are also less likely to cause allergic reactions or damage to the hair.
- Choose a cost-effective and budget-friendly option for a long-lasting solution.
- Know your hair type, the color of your hair, your curls, and also if your hair is easily prone to breakage.
Attaining straight hair without shelling out big bucks is possible. Relaxers help you achieve that. However, go for no-lye relaxers. These contain calcium hydroxide, which is a milder and safer ingredient. Also, ensure the botanicals in the relaxer are natural.
It also is recommended you prepare your hair with a post-care solution. Relaxers, no matter how natural, do cause some damage to hair in the long run. If you want to reduce the damage, ensure you take care of it the right way. A hair care expert will guide better.
We hope this list has helped you make the right choice. Pick the right product for you and see those curls straighten in no time!
- 16 Super Effective Ways To Get Smooth Hair
- What Is Hair Texturizing? How To Take Care Of Texturized Hair?
- 10 Awesome Ways To Identify And Fix Dry And Damaged Hair
Latest posts by Priyanka S (see all)
- 13 Best Setting Powders For Dark Skin – Prep, Set, And Go! - July 2, 2020
- 13 Best Silicone Patches For Wrinkles - June 30, 2020
- 13 Best Eyebrow Trimming Scissors - June 29, 2020
- 15 Best Tweezers For Removing Splinters - June 29, 2020
- 15 Best Hand Creams And Hand Lotions For Nurses - June 26, 2020