Perms have made a comeback in the beauty scene, and for good reason. Also known as permanent waves, they make your hair look forever wavy, giving you that salon finish you crave. While perms are traditionally done at salons, you can get the same results using the best home perm kit! The perfect perm kit will be super easy to use and affordable while allowing you to achieve incredible, messy waves in just a matter of hours. While we get that they are super accessible these days, don’t go for the first one you see. Take your hair length and hair type in mind before buying one. With that being said, we have curated a list of top home perm kits with some guidelines for you to try at home. Scroll down to know more about them!
In This Article
What Is A Perm For Hair
Perm is a hairstyle to get curly or wavy hair. In this treatment, the perm is achieved using chemicals or thermal methods. Chemicals are applied to the hair, after which it is wrapped around different tongs to produce thin or thick waves. If you want straight hair, you can opt for the ‘straight perm’ treatment in which the chemicals are applied to straighten the hair using chemicals. Perm can be done at home as well as at salons.
How To Perm Your Hair At Home
To perm your hair at home, you’ll need a perm kit. The perm kit generally comes with papers, neutralizing solution, and the basic perm-waving cream. This cream is composed of chemicals that can change the natural hair texture and curl it. The perm treatment has two processes, applying the chemical and wrapping the hair around the tongs or rods.
Here are the steps you need to follow to get a perm at home:
- Prepare Your Hair For Perm
The first step to perm your hair is preparation. You don’t want to perm dirty or greasy hair, so the first step is to wash your hair. Using your regular shampoo, wash your hair thoroughly. Make sure you don’t use any conditioner because it will not let the chemical set in properly.
- Put On The Gloves And Prepare The Plastic Cap
Once your hair is dry or damp and not soaking wet, cover your neck with a towel to prevent it from coming in contact with the chemicals. Put on your plastic or vinyl gloves and keep the cap nearby for use.
- Partition Your Hair
For segmenting your hair, use a rat tail comb. Create three segments, one segment on the side of your forehead and two on the sides of your head. Start working on the first segment, roll and tie the other two sections into a bun. You can also twist the front strands into two parts and tie one of the sections in a bun for easy application.
- Roll Your Hair Using Curlers
Take a few strands of hair and start rolling them in the curlers, tucking the ends to prevent frizz. If you want loose curls, use bigger rollers, while you can use the thin and small rollers for tight curls.
- Apply Perm Solution
Once you are done with the rollers, apply the solution to each section. Apply an adequate amount of solution to each curl, enough to cover all the strands. It should not be dripping wet. Keep it on for the stipulated time mentioned on the kit. If you have been instructed about using heat, you can blow-dry the curls.
- Rinse The Hair And Apply The Neutralizing Solution
Remove the rolls and rinse your hair with warm water. Make sure that you do not move the curlers from its place. Now apply the neutralizing solution, making sure that it’s not dripping wet.
- Remove The Curlers And Rinse The Hair
Remove the curlers carefully without stretching the hair strands. Massage the neutralizing solution and gently rinse using lukewarm water. You could also apply a leave-in conditioner and let your hair air-dry.
8 Best Perm Solutions For Your Hair
If you need a salon-style perm, this kit is a great option. The kit is suitable for all hair types and comes with latex gloves. It also includes before and after conditioners along with a drip guard. This kit comes with pre and post conditioners that easily detangle and nourish the hair. The kit offers professional conditioning and lasting curls, but make sure to do a patch test before using it.
- Offers salon-quality finish
- Comes with safeguarding accessories and conditioners
- Its conditioning formula prevents frizz and dryness
- Not recommended for hair highlighted or beached
- Doesn’t last long on extremely frizzy hair
The Ogilvie salon-style perm works excellent, and it also prevents the hair from getting frizzy or dried out. This is a one-time use perm kit that lasts long. It comes with a B4 pre-perm conditioner that prepares your hair for glossy and pretty perms, while the after perm conditioner maintains moisture levels, making your curls smoother and bouncier. This kit comes with latex gloves for easy application. Make sure that you are not allergic to any ingredients or gloves before using it.
- Lasting and quality perm solution
- Great for one-time use
- Perfect for normal hair
- Prevents dryness, frizz, and dullness
- Has an unpleasant smell
Are you looking forward to getting manageable hair? This is one of the best products you can lay your hands on. Simply follow all the instructions on the pack and apply the relaxer in 6 easy steps for the best results. The conditioner is infused with coconut oil and ceramide for preventing breakage and damage. The kit comes with a pre-treatment, relaxer cream + activator, neutralizing shampoo, reconstructor treatment, leave-in strengthener, and moisturizer for nourishing the hair.
- Offers salon-quality styling
- Ceramide and coconut oil-infused formula for preventing frizz and breakage
- Comes with strengthener to reduce breakage
- Doesn’t work for extremely coarse hair
ISO professional perm offers various perm kits for different types of hair. Also, if you have permed your hair previously or have color-treated hair, this perm kit has great results to offer. It is a reliable kit and leaves you with well-defined and pretty curls. This is the perfect choice if you want to perm your hair at home and achieve beautiful curls.
- The perm lasts long
- One-time application gives lasting results
- Various options for color-treated, bleached, or previously perm hair
- May cause split ends
If your hair is color-treated and you are highly skeptical about buying a perm kit, this kit is a highly recommended option. The lotion is fragrance-free and reduces frizz and breakage. It is a great kit for those looking for a gentle formula that lasts long and works on most hair types. For soft, defined waves, this is the kit that is formulated in a unique way to add a gentle shine and nourishment to your color-treated hair. So if you are looking for a safe-to-use and long-lasting perm treatment, this will make for a great purchase!
- Provides salon-quality results
- Works on most hair types
- Doesn’t produce frizz and controls hair breakage
- Comes at a very reasonable price
- Inconvenient packaging
- Inconsistent results
If you have got gray hair, give it a refreshing and brand new look with this rich gray hair perm kit. It is composed of argan oil, and its gentle self-heating formula assures deep conditioning and beautiful curls. The kit also comes with an after-perm conditioner that provides nourishment and added shine to your hair. Apart from this, its anti-aging and anti-yellowing formula revives the natural texture of the hair.
- Anti-aging perm kit for smooth curls
- Composed of argan oil for better nourishment
- Self-heating formula that works on thick and coarse hair
- Comes with after-perm conditioner for best results
- Rods and papers are not included in the kit
To turn your hair from straight and smooth to curly or wavy, use this 36 piece perm rods from COTU. The kit comes with perm rods of short size that offer full coverage and are easy to use. These professional-grade, non-slip, cold wave rods with a rubber band will help you roll and perm your hair easily. It also has extra-wide slots for even fluid distribution to offer great results. Simply make sections and roll your hair in the rods with proper pressure. You can also use a dryer to dry and set the rolls.
- The rods aren’t too tight
- Prevents hair breakage
- Offers lasting and promising results
- Works well for color-treated hair
- Safeguards hair from frizz and breakage
- No permanent results
- Isn’t a complete perm kit
This hair perm kit has the ability to change your look completely! This body acid perm kit offers the flexibility to wrap the curls with water or lotion for smooth and glossy curls. The perms are also formulated with conditioners for better penetration and best results. Apart from this, the lotion is infused with argan oil that prevents frizz, hair damage, and breakage while perming the hair. You won’t need to use heat to dry the hair. The kit is ideal for people with graying, normal, fine, or tinted hair.
- Offers damage-free perming
- Long-lasting smooth curls and waves
- Gentle on skin and scalp
- Comes with a nourishing conditioner
- Infused with argan oil for added hydration and smoothness
- Overuse may cause frizz
Perm kits are great styling tools to get your desired curls without much hassle. One must however be careful in selecting the right kit that enhances your hair’ appearance and suits your follicles. Here are a few important things to consider before you go out to buy a home perm kit.
Things To Consider Before Buying The Best Home Perm Kits
- Hair Length And Type: The choice of your perm kit depends on your hair length. Shorter hair needs lesser accessories like wraps, rods, and lotion quantity. If you have longer hair, get bigger perm kits with more wraps, bigger rods, and a larger volume of both hair lotion and neutralizer. Also, curly or wavy hair may need a different kit compared to the ones with straight and plain hair types.
- Quality And Functionality: Invest in high-quality perm kits that prevent frizz or drying of the strands. Look for durable kits that offer long-lasting results with no split ends and the desired curl type. The kit must also have good functionality and work on almost all hair types such as coarse, straight, wavy, or curly.
- Accompanying Accessories: A high-quality home perm kit comes with a set of accessories to ensure great curls. Conditioners, relaxing creams, activators, leave-in strengtheners, and neutralizing shampoos. Ensure that your kit has all these add-ons to make the process complete and fruitful. Many perm conditioners are too harsh on the hair follicles. They can thus leave the strands dull and lifeless. Choose a perm kit that is gentle on your follicles. This will ensure that your hair is not damaged and appears full of life. Additionally, ensure that your perm kit leaves no odor on the hair strands.
- Price: One must not blindly go for expensive home perm kits. The best thing is to ensure value for money by analyzing its functionality, quality, additional features, and cost-effectiveness. The perm kit must create long-lasting curls, prevent hair breakage or damage, and must be easy to use.
Most of us do not have the time for regular salon visits to style our hair. Well, home perm kits are perfect choices if you do not want perms at the comfort of your home. Perms make your hair look forever wavy and have an old-school charm. while some kits are perfect for color-treated and damaged hair, some are great for normal hair. These are affordable and super easy to use. Before purchasing any kit, measure your hair length, determine your hair type, analyze your requirements, and choose the one that serves all your styling needs.
Why Trust Stylecraze?
Sneha Manhandar, the author of this article, loves to try out different hair care products that can cater to the unique requirements of her readers. For this article, she went on a hunt for the most effective home perm kits and made a list of the best ones. Her recommendation is based on her in-depth research of user reviews and product specifications. These products are super easy to use, affordable, and allow you to achieve incredible, messy waves in just a matter of hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I need for an at-home perm kit?
An at-home perm kit must contain papers, neutralizing solutions, and a basic perm waving cream. In addition, you will need a tail comb, plastic sectioning clips or pins, gloves, and a spray bottle full of water.
Is Ogilvie a good perm?
Yes. Ogilvie is a good perm as it deeply nourishes your curls and detangles your tight knots effortlessly. The conditioning formula of this perm kit prevents frizzy and dry hair and imparts a salon-like finish to your tresses.
Do home perm kits work?
Yes, home perm kits do a satisfactory job at providing you attractive perms. The improved chemicals and tools are efficient and can be handled easily. However, if you want the benefits of the latest perm techniques, a salon perm is the best choice.
Does getting a perm hurt your hair?
Yes, getting a perm may slightly hurt your hair, but it is not as bad as bleaching. Perming can weaken your dry and damaged strands if low-quality perm kits are used. So, be mindful and purchase a perm kit that is suitable for your hair type.
Does hair length matter for a perm?
No. While your hair length does not play a critical role in getting a perm, the hair needs to be long enough to be wrapped around the rod for at least two and a half times. This will aid curling your tresses better.
Can you get a perm if you have dyed hair?
Yes, you can get a perm on your colored hair without worrying about damage. However, it is recommended to invest in perm kits with gentle solutions and suitable rods to handle your dyed hair with care.
Can you use heat tools after you get a perm?
No. Heat tools like straighteners should be avoided after getting perms as permed hair tends to frizz out more than natural hair. Styling your permed hair with heat tools can lead to split ends and hair breakage.
That’s all, folks! Do you have any suggestions or queries regarding this post? Do let us know in the comments below.