Itchy, flaky, scaly skin is the main symptom of psoriasis. It is a chronic autoimmune disorder that causes a rapid build-up of skin cells and results in inflammation and redness. While chronic psoriasis needs medical attention, one also must take care of regular cleaning and treatment. A medicated, therapeutic-grade soap with gentle ingredients can help.
We have listed the 13 best soaps that moisturize, nourish, and cleanse the skin. These may help in the treatment of the condition. Check them out.
Note: Consult a dermatologist if you have chronic symptoms or persistent psoriasis.
Table Of Contents
13 Best Soaps For Psoriasis
1. Best Therapeutic-Grade Soap: Aspen Kay Naturals Dead Sea Mud Soap Bar
The Aspen Kay Naturals Soap Bar is made with dead sea mud and activated charcoal that deeply cleanse the skin. The soap removes impurities, dirt, grime, oil, and dead skin cells. It also contains unrefined shea butter, organic extra virgin olive oil, organic sunflower oil, palm oil, and castor oil along with a luxurious blend of essential oils. Activated charcoal helps pull out all the sludge, topical dirt, and bacteria without clogging the pores. It also deeply detoxifies the skin.
Dead sea mud is a powerhouse of 21 essential vitamins and minerals, including magnesium, sodium, and potassium that provide nutrients to your skin cells. The high concentration of salts in the soap can be used to treat psoriasis effectively. The magnesium in the soap improves skin functionality by making more elastic. Organic shea butter and olive oil deeply moisturize the skin and repair the natural skin barrier for a healthy, supple skin tone.
Key Ingredients: Activated charcoal and dead sea mud
- 100% compostable
- 100% vegan
- Suitable for all skin types
- Safe for men, women, and teens
- Organic ingredients
- Deeply moisturizing
- Removes dead skin cells
- Absorbs excess oil, grime, impurities
- Detoxifies the skin
- Smells odd
2. Best Gentle Soap For Sensitive Skin: basis Sensitive Skin Bar Soap
The basis Sensitive Skin Bar Soap contains natural, calming ingredients. These include chamomile and aloe vera extracts that soothe and comfort the skin. Chamomile is anti-inflammatory and antiseptic. It helps eliminate acne breakouts, treats eczema and psoriasis symptoms, and eases skin rashes and scarring. It has skin-repairing, regenerating, and strengthening properties.
Aloe vera gel absorbs quickly and deeply nourishes the dry skin. The moisturizing properties of this cooling ingredient is a boon to chapped, dry skin. This fragrance-free natural cleansing bar is dermatologist-recommended.
Key Ingredients: Chamomile extract and aloe vera
- No harsh chemicals
- No dyes
- Naturally calming ingredients
- Can be used daily
- Suitable for sensitive skin
3. Best Medicated Soap: dermaharmony Zinc Therapy Soap
dermaharmony is among the best medicated soaps. It is made with 2% Zinc Pyrithione that is an ideal ingredient to soothe skin irritation, itching, and redness from dermatitis, eczema, and psoriasis. It helps reduce inflammation, fights against dry and itchy skin, and sloughs out all dead skin cells. The antibacterial, antimicrobial, and anti-fungal properties of zinc Pyrithione help treat the symptoms of psoriasis, eczema, and acne breakouts.
The soap also contains saponified palm and coconut oil, glycerin from vegetable oil, oatmeal, olive oil, and vitamin E that deeply nourish and rejuvenate the skin. The colloidal oatmeal helps ease the pain and itching associated with psoriasis. It reduces inflammation, redness, and is effective for people with sensitive skin. Olive oil and glycerin improve the natural skin moisturizing barrier and restore skin radiance. Using this soap regularly is safe for both adults and children.
Key Ingredients: 2% Zinc Pyrithione
- Safe for both adults and children
- No artificial colors
- Contains natural oils
- 100% vegan
4. Best OTC Cleansing Bar: Vanicream Z-Bar
The Vanicream Z-Bar contains maximum OTC strength 2% Zinc Pyrithione that helps relieve skin itching, redness, and flaking. Zinc Pyrithione is a clinically-proven formula that has antibacterial, anti-fungal, and antimicrobial properties that provide relief from dry, itchy, and flaky skin. It also reduces the symptoms of dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis. It is a non-comedogenic, oil-free, and pH-balanced formula that also controls excess sebum formation and acne-breakouts.
Key Ingredients: 2% Zinc Pyrithione
- No harmful chemicals
- Can be used daily
- Suitable for sensitive skin
5. Best All-Natural Gentle Bar Soap: Tom’s Of Marine Natural Beauty Bar
The Tom’s of Marine Natural Beauty Bar is formulated with organic botanical extracts like virgin coconut oil, Rainforest Alliance Certified palm oil, raw shea butter, and Moroccan argan oil. These ingredients maintain the skin’s natural moisturizing barrier. The virgin coconut oil helps reduce inflammation, keeps skin moisturized, and heals wounds. The medium-chain fatty acids in the coconut oil help provide relief from acne breakouts and protect the skin from harmful bacteria.
The raw shea butter and Moroccan argan oil are rich in fatty acids that provide a protective shield. They also soften the dry patches and restore skin shine. The natural, refreshing formula is gentle on the skin and helps wash away unwanted germs and bacteria.
Key Ingredients: Virgin coconut oil
- No chemicals
- Gentle on the skin
- 100% vegan
- Long-lasting moisturization
The SheaMoisture African Black Soap is infused with rich organic ingredients that soothe and protect the skin. It is a natural antibacterial and touted as a solution for breakouts, hyperpigmentation, and stretch marks. It has gentle exfoliating properties that remove dead skin cells and improve skin texture.
The hydrating shea butter absorbs excess oil, dirt, grime, and balances sebum formation. It leaves the skin feeling hydrated and nourished. The antibacterial and antiseptic properties of tea tree oil relieve acne breakouts, heal redness and irritation, and keep the skin rejuvenated. The refreshing blend of natural ingredients with soothing aloe, lemon balm, and Gotu kola extracts protect the skin and help in the treatment of eczema and psoriasis.
Key Ingredients: African Black soap, shea butter, and tea tree oil
- Exfoliates skin
- Reduces acne breakouts
7. Best For All: Southern Natural Lavender Goat Milk Soap Bar
The Southern Natural Lavender Goat Milk Soap Bar is a boon to dry, dehydrated skin. The signature ingredient in the soap bar is goat milk. It contains natural fat that protects the skin’s natural moisturizing barrier. It has a perfect pH suitable for the skin and leaves you with a healthy glow. The olive and coconut oils soothe dry, irritated skin. The lavender essential oil in the soap bar leaves a rejuvenating fragrance that lasts long.
Key Ingredients: Goat milk, coconut oil, olive oil, and lavender essential oil
- Treats cracked hands
- Safe for daily use
- Pleasant fragrance
- May not suit sensitive skin
8. Best Overall: SAL3 Advanced Cleansing Bar
The SAL3 Advanced Cleansing Bar comes with advanced colloidal sulfur-based wash. The premium ingredients are 10% sulfur with 3% salicylic acid. Salicylic acid is a keratolytic or peeling agent that helps shed dead skin cells. It also helps soothe the symptoms of eczema and psoriasis. It provides gentle exfoliation and keeping the pores clean. The 10% sulfur provides maximum strength and helps treat psoriasis inflammation and irritation.
Key Ingredients: Salicylic acid and sulfur
- Natural aroma
The MG217 Psoriasis Dead Sea Mud Bar Soap is infused with essential oils, aloe vera, and vitamin E that heal, nourish, and protect the skin from psoriasis symptoms. This cleansing soap bar is handmade in Israel and has dead sea salts and dead sea mud. Dead sea mud is a gentle exfoliator that deeply cleanses and buffs away dead skin and impurities for a healthier glow. Dead sea salt gently nourishes, cleanses, and conditions psoriatic skin. Aloe vera and vitamin E moisturize and restore skin radiance and protect it from further damage. The elixir blend of essential oils leaves your skin beautifully scented.
Key Ingredients: Dead sea mud and dead sea salt
- Lifts away dead skin cells
- Repairs and regenerates new cells
- Recognized by National Psoriasis Foundation
- Long-lasting effect
- Refreshing aroma
The Kenkoderm Dead Sea Soap is formulated by a dermatologist as a complete nutrient regime to psoriatic skin. Dead sea mud contains essential minerals that rejuvenate skin and restore its radiance to relieve psoriasis flares. The other key ingredients in the soap are shea butter, argan oil, and vitamin E that soothe and moisturize the skin. Argan oil is rich in antioxidants that protect the skin from oxidative damage. The soap bar is fragrance-free and color-free.
Key Ingredients: Dead sea mud, shea butter, argan oil, and vitamin E
- Reduces inflammation
- Soothing and calming
11. Best Natural Bath Soap: True Earth Essentials Sensitive Skin Soap
The True Earth Essentials Sensitive Skin Soap is formulated with the essence of natural ingredients that comfort and condition sensitive skin. It contains palm oil, coconut oil, olive fruit oil, and the elixir blend of rosemary and lavender essential oils. The invigorating blend of natural oils deeply moisturizes and nourishes the skin and helps improve psoriatic symptoms. The soap does not dry the skin out.
Key Ingredients: Coconut oil, palm oil, and olive oil
- No alcohol
- Free from synthetic dyes
- 100% vegan
- Refreshing aroma
- Value for money
The Soap Works Coal Tar Bar Soap is made with pure coal tar extract to treat itching and provide relief from psoriasis and eczema. Coal tar is keratolytic and sheds dead cells from the top skin layer. It helps decrease scaling and drying and offers relief from itchiness and redness. Though an old fashioned recipe bar, it is one of the most effective solutions for dry, flaky skin.
Key Ingredients: Coal tar
- No chemicals
The MediViz Eczema Body Wash Soap Therapy is made with premium-grade natural ingredients like organic olive oil, coconut oil, shea butter, and hand-milled oats to relieve dry, itchy, and psoriatic-sensitive skin. Oatmeal is a mild exfoliator that buffs away dead skin cells, and reduces inflammation and redness. It also soaks up the excess oil to prevent acne breakouts. The saponins in oatmeal cleanse the skin by unclogging the pores.
Key Ingredients: Shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, and oatmeal
- 100% organic
- Reduces skin inflammation
These are the 13 best soaps for psoriasis that you can buy online. In the following sections, we have briefly discussed psoriasis and its causes.
What Is Psoriasis? What Causes It?
Psoriasis is a chronic skin disease that causes red, itchy, and scaly patches commonly on hands, elbow, knees, and the trunk. Over 2 to 4% of the Western population is affected by psoriasis (1).
The exact cause of psoriasis is still unknown. But any immune abnormality that leads to the production of excess skin cells is one of the most recognized causes of psoriasis. A psoriasis outbreak can be triggered by a strep infection, skin damage, or even emotional stress (2).
Let us take a look at the different types of psoriasis that need attention.
- Psoriasis Plaques: This is the most common type of psoriasis. Plaque psoriasis manifests itself as raised, red patches covered with a whitish build-up of dead skin cells that result in scales. These patches usually appear on the knees, elbows, scalp, lower back, palms, and the soles of the feet.
- Guttate Psoriasis: Guttate psoriasis is the second most common form of psoriasis that often starts in childhood or early adulthood. It is characterized by multiple small red spots all over the body, most commonly occurring on the trunk and limbs.
- Inverse Psoriasis: Intertriginous psoriasis, commonly known as inverse psoriasis, appears as lesions under the folds of the skin. These are commonly found in the groins, armpits, under the breasts, and in other skin folds. The lesions appear red, and often smooth and shiny.
- Pustular Psoriasis: Pustular psoriasis is rare. It is characterized by pustules or blisters of noninfectious pus. It could be the most traumatizing of all forms of psoriasis. Pustular psoriasis is usually found in adults and could be predominant in certain areas of the body, such as the hands and feet.
- Other forms of psoriasis include psoriatic arthritis, palmoplantar psoriasis, and scalp psoriasis.
In addition to topical treatments, certain other practices can also help treat the condition. We have discussed them below.
Tips For Managing Psoriasis And Reducing Symptoms
- People with psoriasis may find bathing difficult. But it is important to keep the body clean. Using lukewarm water to soothe irritated skin can help.
- Run your clothes through the rinse cycle twice to get rid of the soap and fabric softener residue.
- Moisturization after a bath or at regular intervals is mandatory to keep skin hydrated and nourished.
You can go through the buying guide to understand what you need to look for before buying a soap for treating psoriasis.
Choosing The Right Soap For Psoriasis – A Buying Guide
- It is important to pick the right ingredients to soothe irritated skin. Aloe vera, shea butter, olive oil, and glycerin offer a protective shield and improve the skin’s natural hydration barrier.
- A gentle exfoliator like oatmeal, salicylic acid, and dead sea salt help buff away dead skin cells from the top layer of the skin and detoxify it.
- The cleansing bar should contain natural ingredients to heal symptoms and be suitable for sensitive skin.
- The soap must be free from parabens, sulfates, and artificial fragrances.
Psoriasis could be a serious skin condition. But in most cases, it does not have to continue to be so. With the right treatment, practices, and nutrition, most people can lead normal and happy lives. You may also choose any of these soaps to further help with the treatment. Pick the right soap today.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I cure psoriasis completely?
Mild psoriasis may be cured with a regular cleaning regime. But chronic cases could be difficult to be reversed. Check with a dermatologist and start taking action right away.
2. Is psoriasis contagious?
No, psoriasis is not contagious. It does not spread by touch. It is a genetic or autoimmune response.
3. How to remove scales caused by psoriasis?
Do not scrape the scales or scratch the affected area. Use a gentle exfoliator to remove them.
4. What vitamins are suitable for treating psoriasis?
Vitamins D and E offer relief from the condition.
- Di Meglio, Paola et al. “Psoriasis.” Cold Spring Harbor perspectives in medicinevol. 4,8 a015354. 1 Aug. 2014.
- Rendon, Adriana, and Knut Schäkel. “Psoriasis Pathogenesis and Treatment.” International journal of molecular sciences vol. 20,6 1475. 23 Mar. 2019.
- Top 10 Lotions for Psoriasis of 2020
- 13 Best Body Washes And Soaps For Eczema
- 11 Best Soaps For Sensitive Skin – Top Picks For 2020
- 10 Best Coal Tar Shampoos To Get Rid Of Psoriasis And Seborrhoeic Dermatitis
- Dettol Skincare Soap Review
Latest posts by Priyanka S (see all)
- 11 Best Exercise Ball Chairs Of 2021 For Better Posture - March 17, 2021
- 13 Best Cruelty-Free Eye Creams For Dark Circles And Crow’s Feet - March 1, 2021
- Differences Between Hair Shedding And Hair Loss - January 11, 2021
- How To Do A Reverse Perm At Home – A Step-By-Step Tutorial - November 25, 2020
- Do I Have Thick Or Thin Hair? Ways To Check The Hair Texture And Beauty Hacks - November 23, 2020