We might splurge on exotic serums and potions that promise overnight hair growth or silky-smooth tresses post-treatment, but without a healthy scalp, this is just a far-fetched dream. The quest for healthy hair begins with a healthy scalp. Regular cleansing, scrubbing, and exfoliating are essential, especially when you have a dry and itchy scalp. Scalp oils are the ideal way to do this as they add and lock in moisture.
Regular oil massage with the right type of scalp oil is an instant remedy to soothe an itchy scalp. Oiling boosts blood circulation and keeps the follicles clear of residues that cause irritations. Scroll through our list of the 7 best scalp oils that will soothe your dry, itchy scalp.
Table Of Contents
7 Best Scalp Oils To Soothe Your Dry, Itchy Scalp
1. Best Overall: Okay Vitamin E 100% Pure Black Jamaican Castor Oil
Castor oil improves hair and scalp health, promotes hair growth, and prevents hair fall. This hair oil from Okay is infused with pure Jamaican black castor oil to restore your hair health while moisturizing the roots and adding volume. It balances the scalp’s natural oils to keep it free of dandruff and itchiness.
The scalp oil also contains vitamin E that promotes the health of the scalp, protects the scalp from UV damage, and strengthens the hair. The panthenol in the formula improves hair texture and adds a glossy shine to your tresses. This oil is made from the traditional roasting and extraction method that preserves its nutrients and keeps it pure.
Key Ingredients: Castor oil, Vitamin E, and Panthenol
- A little goes a long way
- Overpowering fragrance
- Might weigh the hair down
2. Best Ayurvedic Formula: Life & Pursuits Organic Bhringraj Scalp Therapy
The premium Life & Pursuits Organic Bhringraj Scalp Therapy uses ancient Ayurvedic principles to revive your scalp health. It contains a unique blend of organic herbs and oils, including bhringraj, methi, hibiscus, sesame oil, coconut oil, castor oil, and neem.
While bhringraj extract promotes hair growth by nourishing the roots, amla extract conditions the hair and delays premature graying. The hibiscus extract in the formula stimulates hair growth, and the neem and methi extracts reduce hair fall and enhance the hair growth rate. The blend also contains onion oil that moisturizes the hair and imparts shine and luster to it, while the ginger extract soothes dryness and itchiness in the scalp and reduces dandruff. This herbal concoction keeps the hair roots nourished and improves the texture of the hair to keep it soft and shiny.
Key Ingredients: Bhringraj, Sesame oil, Coconut oil, Castor oil, Almond oil, Onion oil, Neem, Amla, Ginger, Hibiscus, and Methi
- Certified organic ingredients
- Reduces dandruff
- Controls hair fall
- Leaves the hair soft and shiny
- Mineral oil-free
- Overpowering fragrance
3. Best For Dandruff: Dermasolve Scalp Oil
Product buildup in the scalp can trigger dandruff and hair fall. The exfoliating Scalp Oil from Dermasolve ensures your scalp remains free of residues and buildup. This rich oil combines 10 oils and nourishing herbal extracts that soothe and calm itchiness, prevent scaling, and retain moisture in the hair shafts. It uses Ovasome Technology to incorporate minerals, vitamins, and proteins from eggs – a superfood for healthy scalp and hair – to nourish your scalp and hair. This gentle scalp treatment is safe for daily use and comes with an easy application spout.
Key Ingredients: Safflower oil, Sweet almond oil, Egg, Meadowfoam seed oil, Wheat germ oil, Henna leaf extract, Marigold flower extract, and Soap bark extract
- Prevents flaking
- Difficult to wash out
4. Best For Textured Hair: Cantu Shea Butter Tea Tree & Jojoba Hair & Scalp Oil
The luxurious Shea Butter Tea Tree & Jojoba Hair & Scalp Oil from Cantu replenishes the natural scalp oils and reveals healthier, stronger hair. It conditions the scalp to keep it irritation-free while nourishing the follicles to prevent breakage and promote hair growth.
The deeply moisturizing oil can be left on the hair overnight to mend brittle hair and combat dryness. It can be used daily on wet or dry hair to add natural shine. It forms a protective barrier to shield the hair from damage caused due to heat. The innovative ingredients also work to repair split ends and stop breakage. The no-drip formula is easy to apply and imparts shine and softness to the hair.
Key Ingredients: Shea butter oil, Jojoba seed oil, and Tea tree leaf oil
- No-drip formula
- Refreshing fragrance
- Thick texture
- Difficult to wash out
5. Best For Weaves And Braids: Mielle Organics Rosemary Mint Scalp & Hair Strengthening Oil
The nutrient-rich Mielle Organics Rosemary Mint Scalp & Hair Strengthening Oil addresses multiple scalp and hair concerns. This organic hair oil is infused with biotin that supports length retention and nourishes the hair follicles. Rosemary and peppermint essential oils stimulate new hair growth and reduce hair loss. The refreshing fragrance of this oil invigorates your senses and uplifts the mood. This oil can be used on weaves and braids to keep the roots and tips moisturized.
Key Ingredients: Rosemary leaf oil and Peppermint oil
- Natural ingredients
- Safe for chemically treated hair
- Refreshing scent
- Suitable for daily use
- Can trigger allergies
6. Best Cooling Scalp Oil: Kaff & Co. Kaffir Lime Essential Oil Scalp Treatment
Most scalp treatments are heavy and weigh down the hair – but not the lightweight Kaffir Lime Essential Oil Scalp Treatment from Kaff & Co. The oil gets quickly absorbed into the scalp, leaving a velvety texture on the tresses.
It harnesses the power of highly concentrated kaffir lime essential oil and ginger rhizome extract to nourish and balance the scalp. These ingredients are extracted via the cold-pressed method to preserve their natural benefits. This scalp oil boosts circulation and conditions the scalp and hair while adding volume to dull, lifeless tresses. The soothing scalp treatment reduces irritation and controls itchiness in the scalp.
Key Ingredients: Kaffir lime essential oil, Ginger rhizome extract, and Castor oil
- Mild scent
- Controls dandruff
7. Best Lightweight Oil: Innersense Harmonic Healing Oil
The Harmonic Healing Oil from Innersense is a rich blend of healing oils packed with vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, and lipids to nourish and moisturize the hair and scalp. The combination of jojoba and rosemary essential oils soothes dry scalp, stimulates blood circulation to the scalp, and enhances hair growth. The blend of tamanu oil, safflower seed oil, and evening primrose oil soothes itching and infection, while orange flower oil helps define curls and waves. This healing oil can also be used for deep tissue massage and healing cuts or rashes.
Key Ingredients: Safflower oil, Evening primrose oil, Tamanu oil, Macadamia seed oil, Jojoba seed oil, Orange flower oil, Hazel seed oil, and Rosemary essential oil
- Organic oil
- Pleasant fragrance
Apart from oiling your scalp and hair, you can follow the below tips to maintain your scalp health.
How To Maintain A Healthy Scalp
- Keep your scalp clean. Use gentle shampoos that are free of sulfates and alcohol to prevent stripping away the natural oils of your scalp that makes your scalp dry and itchy.
- Do not scrub your scalp while shampooing. Gently massage the scalp or use a scalp scrub to remove buildup.
- Increase the time between washes so that there is enough time for natural oil production.
- Increase your intake of water, vegetables, and fruits as these foods support a healthy scalp.
- Most importantly, use a scalp oil regularly before you shampoo to increase moisture on the scalp and add shine to the hair.
Regular oiling improves scalp health, which, in turn, promotes hair growth. Here are some other benefits of oiling the scalp.
The Benefits of Oiling Your Scalp
- Boosts Blood Circulation: Regular oil massage stimulates blood circulation to the scalp, strengthening the roots and follicles.
- Removes Buildup: It also helps clear the follicles of residues and scalp buildup, preventing hair fall and dandruff.
- Hydrates And Nourishes The Hair Shafts: Oiling protects the hair follicles and prevents the shafts from drying out. The fatty acids in oils reinstate the lipids in the hair and seal in the moisture to keep the hair healthy.
- Adds Shine: Oiling brings back shine and gloss to dry, damaged hair while taming frizz and flyaways.
Here is a quick guide on oiling your scalp the right way.
How To Oil Your Scalp
- Using the fingertips of both hands, start your oil massage at the nape and work your way up to the top of the crown.
- Move to the sides from the base of the ears to the front center of the head. It is important to take your time while massaging the scalp.
- Massage in circular motions to boost blood flow to the scalp. This, in turn, helps strengthen the roots and control hair fall.
- Cover the hair with a towel or shower cap and leave the oil overnight or for at least an hour.
- Rinse the oil out thoroughly to ensure it does not leave any residue behind.
Oiling your hair is important, but how often should you oil your scalp? The following section answers your question.
How Often To Oil Your Scalp
It is recommended that you should oil your hair twice a week or as often as you wash it as a pre-wash treatment. If it is not possible to oil your hair the night before you shampoo, ensure you do it at least an hour before and wrap your hair with a hot towel. Since some shampoos may potentially strip the scalp and hair of moisture, massaging oil before shampooing ensures the scalp is protected and will not dry out.
Does Scalp Oil Work For All Hair Types?
No. Not all scalp oils may help maintain the optimal scalp microbiome. If you have issues like dandruff, using just any oil may aggravate the condition and also affect the hair follicles. However, if you have a healthy scalp and dry hair, you may use scalp oils to nourish and moisturize your locks.
Regular oiling is a sure-shot way of keeping the scalp calm and irritation-free while maintaining its natural moisture balance. The scalp oils listed in this article not only soothe your dry, itchy scalp but also promote hair growth and impart shine and softness to your tresses. So, what are you waiting for? Go ahead and pick a suitable oil that addresses your scalp concerns.
- 16 Best Hair Growth Oils To Buy In India 2020
- 15 Best Hair Growth Oils for Every Type of Hair
- Hair Oils For Dandruff
- 12 Best Anti Dandruff Hair Oils Available In India – 2021