Once your little one is old enough to play outdoors, it is time to invest in the best sunscreen for kids. When it comes to children, you must leave no stone unturned to get the best products for them. Starting from toys and clothes to skin care, you need to be extra cautious about how the materials and ingredients will react to your children’s sensitive skin. But, when it comes to sunscreen, it is a necessity as kids are hard to confine indoors!
To prevent sunburn or the effects of the UV rays, you need to prep up before time and get a sunscreen specially designed to suit the needs of children. If you are unsure what ingredients to look for or what will be good enough to protect your little one from the sun, we are here to help. Here is a list of the 15 highest-rated sunscreens made especially for kids’ sensitive skin. Go ahead and pick one for your little bundle of joy.
In This Article
15 Best Sunscreen For Kids To Look Out For In 2021
This 100% non-nano mineral broad-spectrum sunscreen offers SPF 50 that protects the child’s skin, face, and body from UVA, UVB, and IRA rays. It is formulated with chia seed oil and antioxidant-rich olive oil that nourish and moisturize the skin. The formula is water-resistant for up to 80 minutes and hence can be used safely even when the child is in water or sweating. It is a non-sticky formula that is hypoallergenic and fragrance-free.
With summer fast approaching, prepare your beach bag with what is one of the safest sunscreens for kids. This spray sunscreen for kids is formulated using Helioplex Technology that offers broad-spectrum protection from the harmful rays of the sun. It is water-resistant for up to 80 minutes, thereby giving your kids uninterrupted play time. This sunscreen spray is suitable for all skin types and is free from para-aminobenzoic acid and does not clog the pores.
- SPF 70+
- May not be suitable for sensitive skin
- May not suitable for children under 6 months
This multi-award-winning formula is developed by a mom as she kept in mind the delicate skin of kids. It offers a universal light tint that eliminates the whiteness. In addition, it offers a broad spectrum of 30+ sunscreen, protecting the skin against harmful UV rays. The formula also stays water-resistant for 80 minutes, allowing the kids to enjoy their water activities hassle-free. It is a tear-free formula safe for both kids and sensitive adults.
- Water-resistant up to 80 minutes
- Suitable for sensitive adults
- Eco-friendly ingredients
A glowing recommendation from the Skin Cancer Foundation surely makes this sunscreen lotion spray for kids a must-have! Blended with mild ingredients, this spray offers effective broad-spectrum protection from UVA/UVB rays while also being sting and tear-free. All you need to do is to apply it on your child’s skin, wait for 15 mins and have them enjoy up to 80 minutes of uninterrupted fun.
- Hypoallergenic sunscreen for kids
- Pediatrician-tested formula
- Formulated using Powerstay Technology
- Sweat and waterproof
- Might feel cold for a few seconds upon application
- May leave a white residue on skin
With active ingredients such as natural zinc oxide and oats, this mineral sunblock for kids is sure to win your hearts and make its way into your backpacks. Suitable for use on your kids’ face and body, this formula is non-greasy and can be applied on sensitive skin. It offers good sun protection with broad-spectrum SPF 50 for up to 80 minutes at a time. Rest assured that its mild formulation is gentle on the skin along with being water and sweat-proof.
- Paraben, phthalate, and fragrance-free
- Consistency might be thick
- May have an unpleasant fragrance
Let the bright sunshine not stop you from stepping out with your littlest one. This organic and natural sunscreen cream is the perfect formulation for your baby’s skin and also offers effective broad-spectrum sun protection. Hailed as one of the safest sunscreens for babies, it is infused with moisturizing botanical ingredients such as sunflower, calendula, chamomile, and organic beeswax among others that nourish the skin and leave it feeling supple and healthy. SPF 30 protects the skin from harmful sun rays, allowing you to spend some quality time with your baby in the outdoors.
- Eco-friendly and biodegradable
- Certified safe by EWG sunscreen guide
- Does not contain dyes, GMO, and parabens
- Light yet soothing fragrance
- May take some time to absorb into skin
Synonymous with effective sun protection, the Coppertone KIDS Sunscreen Lotion is one of the best sunscreens for kids that you can get your hands on. With its unique antioxidant vitamin blend, this sunscreen for children is water-resistant and allows for a play session that lasts for up to 80 minutes without the need for re-application. Pediatrician-recommended and dermatologist-tested, this is a brand that you can stock up on one summer after another.
- Pediatrician-recommended sunscreen
- Stick-form allows for easy application
- Free of PABA and dyes
- Some may find it slightly greasy
You know that you have got the right product when your sunscreen lotion says that it is dermatologist-tested. This gentle sunscreen lotion from La Roche-Posay is one of the best sunscreens for toddlers and kids with sensitive skin. With a formula that is free from parabens, alcohol, and fragrance, this lotion provides broad-spectrum sun protection using Cell-OX Shield technology and antioxidants that reduce free radical damage. It absorbs well into the skin leaving it feeling light and non-greasy.
- Suitable for all skin types
- This formula is tested on sensitive skin type
- Suitable for use on face and body
- SPF 60
- Does not clog pores
- Might not be tear-free
If you have been on a quest for the best chemical-free sunscreen for babies and kids, this sunscreen from thinksport For Kids is the one for you. This zinc oxide sunscreen for kids is a great choice as it is biodegradable, free from harmful chemicals, and vegan. Offering broad-spectrum protection from UVA and UVB rays, SPF 50+ is sure to keep your child’s skin from harm. It is also enriched with aloe leaf juice extract, sunflower oil, jojoba oil, cranberry seed oil, and hyaluronic acid, which lend it its restorative and reparative qualities.
- Highly-rated by the EWG sunscreen guide
- Does not contain aerosols and nano-zinc oxide
- Leaping Bunny-certified
- Slightly expensive
This mineral-based sunscreen for babies and kids from a world-renowned brand offers SPF 30+ protection and is water-resistant. Hailed as the No.1 pediatrician-recommended brand, this lotion is suitable for use on sensitive skin as it is devoid of parabens and fragrance. Its sweat-proof and water-resistant formula makes it a great choice for your child’s play time in the sun for up to 80 minutes before any reapplication is required. What makes it so interesting is the Smart Bottle Technology that changes its color to blue when exposed to UV rays, thereby indicating your skin’s excessive exposure to sunlight. Cool, isn’t it?
- Smart Bottle Technology indicates excessive exposure to the harmful sun rays
- Formulated using mineral zinc oxide
- Reef and eco-friendly
- Handy bottle that is easy to carry wherever you go
- A patch test is recommended as it may cause reaction on skin allergic to chemical-based lotions. This product is a combination of chemical and mineral UV protectors.
It is not the easiest task to find skincare products that are safe to use on every skin type. Now, extend this to getting the best sunscreen for kids with sensitive skin and you’ll mostly draw a blank. Putting these struggles to rest is this sunscreen spray from Alba Botanica that is nothing less than a blessing in disguise! It is formulated using ingredients that are 100% vegetarian, cruelty-free, and biodegradable. Infused with ingredients such as orange peel oil, calendula flower extract, avocado oil, aloe leaf juice, and panax ginseng root extract, this lightweight sunscreen that applies rather easily, is water-resistant, and offers effective sun protection to sensitive skin.
- Spray can makes application easy
- Skin Cancer Foundation recommended
- Water resistant up to 80 minutes
- Some users reported that this product causes stains on clothing.
- Might feel sticky upon application
Here’s a sunscreen lotion that is suitable for babies older than 6 months and toddlers. This lotion is one of the best mineral-based sunscreens for kids and babies as it is free from harmful chemicals, parabens, oxybenzone, and chemical UV absorbers. It is infused with a blend of zinc oxide and certified organic and soothing ingredients such as calendula, chamomile, rose hips, olive oil, etc. that are good for sensitive skin as well.
- GMO and gluten-free
- Vegan formulation
- Might leave a white residue
- Consistency is thick and may not apply easily on skin
Harsh sun rays and our skin don’t really get along, which means that your child’s skin needs all the TLC it can get this summer. Look no further than this zinc oxide sunscreen for kids from babyganics that not only offers sun protection but is also non-allergenic and tear-free. Free from PABA, fragrance, phthalates, and parabens, it is recommended by pediatricians and tested by dermatologists, making it a safe option for this time of the year.
- Reef-safe formula
- Best suited for targeted sun protection
- No animal testing
- Broad spectrum protection
- May cake over skin
This “Uber sensitive” mineral-based lotion is one of the best sunscreens for toddlers with sensitive skin. It is blended with organic colloidal oatmeal and organic shea butter that makes this sunscreen suitable for skin that has broken out in rashes. Gentle on sensitive skin, it does not get absorbed into the skin rather stays on top and helps scatter harmful sun rays. From a brand that is trusted by mothers all over, not much can really go wrong with this sheer sunscreen.
- Water-resistant for up to 40 minutes
- Free from artificial fragrances, chemical UV protectors, and nano zinc
- Non-irritating formula
- Non-toxic and reef-safe
- May leave the skin feeling greasy
- Some users reported that it may stain clothing
Getting your baby beach-ready can be fun with the Thinkbaby SPF 50+ Sunscreen. The water-resistant formula offers 80 minutes of protection in the sea or the pool, allowing your child to enjoy their playtime to the fullest. The formula is safe and natural for your child’s sensitive skin as it’s free from harsh chemicals like phthalates, oxybenzone, avobenzone, and petroleum. The non-sticky sunscreen also gets quickly absorbed into the skin and leaves behind no chemical smell.
- Water-resistant up to 80 minutes
Now that we have seen this amazing collection of products that are easily available at your local drugstore or even online, let us take a look at some important points to consider when buying the best sunscreen for kids.
The Best Sunscreen For Kids And How To Choose Them – A Buying Guide
How To Choose The Best Sunscreen For Kids?
Summer is a time for picnics, visits to the beach, and lots of fun and frolic. Don’t let the harmful sun rays stop you and your kids from stepping out and load up on your favorite sunscreen right away! We know that choosing the safest sunscreen for kids is not the easiest task, especially with all the options available today. Here are a few points to consider when buying one:
- It is important to make sure that you pick a sunscreen lotion, spray, or cream with SPF 30 or higher as children’s skin is more susceptible to burning.
- Always pick a sunscreen that is mineral-based or labelled as physical sunscreen as all others are formulated with chemicals that may not be suitable for your kids’ sensitive skin.
- Sunscreen for kids must be water-resistant as they spend a lot of time in pools and that should not compromise the sun protection they need all through summer. It should also be sweat-proof to avoid the need for constant re-application.
- It should provide broad spectrum UVA/UVB sun protection.
- It is a good idea to opt for a sunscreen that is free from PABA, phthalates, parabens, and other chemicals.
How To Use The Best Sunscreen For Children
Applying sunscreen before stepping out into the sun is a simple step to be incorporated in your skincare regime. Despite that, many of us get it wrong. Here’s a breakdown of how to correctly apply sunscreen:
- Take a dollop of the product in your hands and apply it over the desired area.
- Be gentle as you rub it into your skin, especially when it is applied on the face.
- Take care not to get any of the product in your eyes.
- Wait for at least 15 minutes before stepping out or applying any other moisturizer over it.
- Once it is absorbed into your skin, you can top it up with any item of clothing that might provide an added level of protection.
Are there any specific safety tips that you must keep in mind before buying or using a sunscreen for kids? Read on to find out.
Safety Tips To Keep In Mind Before Using Sunscreen
Here are a few tips to keep in mind before using a sunscreen that can help you this summer:
- Children have sensitive skin and, hence conducting a patch-test is highly recommended.
- It is important to avoid using chemical sunscreens as it can harm your child’s delicate skin.
- Always wait for at least 15 minutes after you have applied the sunscreen to ensure that you get the best out of it.
- Do not use sunscreen on your child if he/she is younger than 6 months old.
- Be sure to reapply after every 2 hours.
- Keep a track of the expiration dates and throw any product out that may have crossed it.
It is essential to protect your little ones from the harmful effects of UV rays. That is why you need to get your hands on the best sunscreens for kids and babies. The curated list mentions products with hypoallergenic and non-sticky formulas devoid of any synthetic toxins. We recommend you pick a sunscreen with more than SPF 30 because your kid’s skin is more susceptible to burning. Also, they must be water-resistant and sweat-proof to prevent constant reapplication. Kids have sensitive skin so conduct a patch test before getting your hands on the best sunscreen.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
Sneha Manandhar, the author, has a keen interest in skin care. She understands that kids love spending time outdoors, which leaves their skin vulnerable to sun damage. So, she recommends using these sunscreens to protect your kid’s skin from harsh sun rays. She spent hours pouring over many products and reviews before settling on this list. She chose these sunscreens based on their benefits like hypoallergenic formulation, absence of harsh elements like synthetic fragrances, SPF range, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I use factor 50 or 30 on my child?
It is advised by dermatologists to use sunscreen lotions, sprays, or creams that have a higher SPF rating as children’s skin is more sensitive and delicate, thereby more susceptible to burning.
When should you put sunscreen on a child?
It is a good idea to avoid applying sunscreen on your child is he/she is younger than 6 months old. This is because your baby’s skin can absorb the chemicals in the lotion that eventually cause harm to their sensitive skin.
Is it bad to wear sunscreen everyday?
No, it is not bad to wear sunscreen every day as it provides your skin with the much-needed protection from the harmful UV rays from the sun. Applying it before exposure to sunlight can minimize the risk of serious skin damage over time.
Can you apply regular sunscreen on a 2-year old?
It is advised that kids and toddlers apply sunscreens formulated for kids. Another option would be to use those formulated for adult skin but marked as “physical” or “mineral-based” as these do not have harmful chemicals.