Having a round face is not easy, especially when it comes to flaunting hairstyles. Does long hair look better or does short? Can I go without bangs? Can I try something edgy? So many questions and no answer – well not till now. We at StyleCraze have decided to put an end to these questions and give you the answers you need!
How To Measure Your Face Shape
The first step towards selecting the right hairstyle is knowing your face shape. The ideal way to tell if you have a round face is to measure the width of your jawline, cheeks, and forehead. Round faces tend to have soft features. The cheeks and the part just below them appear to be more prominent and fuller.
- Using a scale, first check the width of your forehead. Find the widest point. For most people, it should be in the middle of the hairline and eyebrows.
- Then, check the width of your cheeks. It’s an ear to ear measurement beginning and ending at the points where your ears touch your face. That should be the widest dimension of your cheeks.
- Next, measure the widest points of your jawline.
- Finally, take the longitudinal measurement of your face beginning at your hairline and ending at the tip of your chin.
- The width and the length of your face are the same.
- Your cheeks are the widest.
- Your jaw is more round than at an angle.
- The length of your face is short.
If you’ve checked all of these boxes, then this means that your face shape is round, and this article is for you!
You need to take away from the width of your face to give it a slim look. Focus on accentuating your features.
Your face shape plays a vital role in what hairstyles will or will not look good on you.
- A Middle Parting: A middle parting with voluminous hair gives the face a slender look. If you have full hair, make sure that the hair is more voluminous towards the end or after the chin. This gives more definition to the jawline.
- Messiness: A messy hairdo (messy bun or ponytail) gives your hair a more voluminous look and takes the focus off the roundness of your face.
- Bangs: Full frontal tapered bangs, side-swept bangs, and deep side-swept bangs look amazing on round faces. These bangs make the face look slimmer and bring the focus to the front, drawing attention to the eyes and mouth. Choose feathered bangs over thick bangs to give your face a more slender look. A feathered tapered fringe makes the lower half of the face appear smaller than the rest of the face. It will accentuate the cheekbones.
- Layers: Long layers look amazing on round faces. Soft, voluminous curls, waves or straight hair makes the face appear thinner. Perfect for women with round faces, wispy layers make your face and neck look elongated. Swept long layers of hair arranged on one side of the face makes it look lean.
- The Bob: If you’re looking for a bob cut, then try the lob (long bob or a messy bob). A lob (short at the back but long in the front) gives the face a long look. A messy bob has choppy, uneven hair near the face, which makes it look thin. People with thin round faces can pull off bob cuts like the pixie or the regular short bob.
- Volume: Keep your hair higher at the crown. Add more volume. To create height at the top of your head, lightly tease the hair near the crown, brushing from ends to roots with a fishtail comb. As for the rest of your hair, keep it smooth and past your shoulders for a sleeker look.
If you want to color your hair entirely, then try a shade that is a few shades lighter or darker than your natural hair color. Try an ombre where the roots are dark and the edges are light. Keep the hair that is the closest to the face dark. Lowlights at the top and highlights at the bottom work well for round faces.
The best part about having a round face is – you have soft features, and hence, you can decide which one you want to accentuate.
- Try long earrings as they help in giving more definition to the face.
- Apply contouring makeup to highlight your cheeks. A dark lip color attracts attention whereas playful eyeshadow and eyeliner colors accentuate the eyes.
- Avoid one length hairstyles. Try layers as they add much more volume to your hair and slim down your face.
- Try chains that aren’t too long. They can be heavy or light.
- Try headbands but allow your bangs to fall through.
- Glasses: Angular/geometric frames add more distinctive and detailed lines to the face. Rectangular frames and retro square frames make a round face appear thin and long. Browline frames work towards highlighting the cheeks and eyes. Keep away from small, short, and round frames as they make your face look rounder.
Finding it hard to find a hairstyle for a round face? Well, we’re taking help from the best. Here are some celebs who have the same face shape as you. Try out these hairstyles and see which ones you love.
30 Best Round Faced Celebrity Hairstyles
1. Cameron Diaz
Cameron Diaz looks like an angel with this wavy, layered, shoulder length haircut. The dark color on top and the side bangs work towards accentuating her jawline while also slimming down the width of the face. Her two distinct features are her eyes and the broad, beautiful smile that this hairstyle shows off perfectly. This hairstyle is perfect for women with round faces.
2. Emma Stone
Yes, her Oscar look had a lot of heads turning, but I love how Emma Stone’s auburn hair compliments her green eyes perfectly. She is a natural blonde but flaunts auburn hair most of the time. The side bangs add a lateral focus to the face, and bring the focus to the eyes and smile.
3. Frieda Pinto
Frieda Pinto looks phenomenal in this hairstyle. The one side long one side short textured bob makes her round face look longer and leaner. The side parting is a great way to give your face a reduced look. This look accentuates all the features of her beautiful face.
4. May Jagger
The middle parting works wonders for people with round faces. Whether you have a thin or chubby round face, a middle parting looks brilliant with long flowy hair. Take a cue from May Jagger and try it with slightly wavy hair. It slims down your face, while the side bangs bring the focus to the eyes, nose, and mouth.
5. Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan looks stunning in this hairdo. The wisps of hair near her face bring the focus to her eyes. Enhance your eyes even further by using an eyeliner. While this hairstyle might need professional help to recreate, don’t rule it out. The high bun adds volume to the top of the head, making a round face appear longer.
6. Kaley Cuoco
This wavy layered lob sported by Kaley Cuoco not only looks amazing but also elongates a round face. The layers make her face look leaner as well. This hairdo works to make Kaley’s face look more heart-shaped than round.
7. Jordin Sparks
This stunning hairstyle is perfect for round faces. The curls take the focus away from the face and add volume to the bottom of the hair, giving your face a narrow look. Pin just the top part of one side of your hair and leave the rest loose. This hairstyle brings a more angular look to your face.
8. Miranda Kerr
Supermodel Miranda Kerr looks fabulous in this gorgeous hairdo. The soft curls at the bottom make her face look slender, while the height added to her hair at the crown gives her face a longer look. The lighter shade of hair color brings the focus to her gray eyes.
9. Michelle Williams
The slight frontal bangs accentuate Michelle Williams’ captivating hazel eyes. The darker hair shade at the top of her head and the bangs take away the length from her forehead. A center parting with voluminous hair makes a round face appear slimmer.
10. Amy Adams
If you have a round face, then adding height to your hair at the crown is something you should try. This makes a face look longer. The soft big waves, as seen on Amy Adams, adds more definition to the features on your face rather than enhancing the shape of your face itself.
11. Mila Kunis
Mila Kunis stuns in this uber-straight lob with thick ends. The dark hair color accentuates her eyes and the side parting makes her face look longer. Altogether, this hairstyle is excellent for round faces.
12. Drew Barrymore
Big waves with a middle parting work towards making your face look thinner. Add more volume to the ends of your hair, like Drew Barrymore, to make your jawline appear leaner. This hairstyle takes the focus away from your round face shape.
13. Isla Fisher
Isla Fisher looks terrific with this messy side braid. Braiding all your hair on one side cuts down the volume of your hair near your cheeks, giving your face a slender look. The side parting with the side bang gives an angular approach to the face, and brings the focus on the eyes and mouth.
14. Kirsten Dunst
Kirsten Dunst looks superb in this hairstyle. The deep side-swept bangs bring the focus to her eyes and cheekbones, making her face look narrow. The layers make her face look elongated.
15. Olivia Munn
Wispy ends do wonders for round faces. Olivia Munn’s wispy waves accentuate her cheekbones, making them look oh-so-perfect! The wispy ends make your face and neck look longer.
16. Queen Latifah
Queen Latifah’s straight textured lob is perfect. The light colors near her face make it appear leaner, while the short to long length of the lob gives her face an elongated look. If you’re on the chubbier side, try this hairstyle and watch it work its magic!
17. Malin Akerman
Tapered side bangs thin down the width of the forehead and accentuate facial features like her eyes, nose, and jawline. The puff right before the pony adds volume at the top, which gives an elongated look to the face. The mid-level ponytail adds focus to the lower half of her face, making it look more heart-shaped.
18. Kate Bosworth
The middle parting with a messy ponytail is perfect for a round face. The best thing about messy wavy hair is that it adds volume to your hair – but if you have a round face, you need to use it to your advantage, like Kate Bosworth. The messy waves at the top add the volume required to make her face look slender and long. Tying the rest of the hair into a low pony keeps from making the hair look voluminous near the cheeks – as that will accentuate the roundness of the face.
19. Amber Tamblyn
Layers always look great with round faces. They make a face look thinner as well as longer. The soft curls add volume at the end of the hair, making the top look thinner, hence giving your face a leaner look. The lighter shade of hair color near Amber Tamblyn’s eyes draws attention to them.
20. Mindy Kaling
Mindy Kaling totally rocks this side upswept shoulder-length bob. The red highlights at the ends make her face appear thinner, accentuate her jawline, and show off those perfect eyebrows.
21. Penelope Cruz
For a round face, volume at the top of the head is a good thing. Pair it off with bangs, and you are as good as gold. Penelope Cruz looks stunning in this beehive bun with frontal bangs. Don’t worry if you don’t have bangs or don’t want to cut your hair – try a faux bang. The feathered frontal bangs accentuate her eyes and eyebrows, while taking away the width from the forehead.
22. Taylor Schilling
Taylor Schilling looks incredible in this shoulder length layered hairstyle. Layers that start just below the chin make your face look longer and narrow at the jawline. The side parting accentuates her blue eyes.
23. Sarah Hyland
Sarah Hyland looks impressive in this high bun look. The high bun not only accentuates her cheeks but also makes her face look long. Add your own flair to this look by using some dark lipstick.
24. Cara Delevingne
Side swept hair on one side looks fantastic, and Cara Delevingne proves it. Pin all your hair up on one side to get this look. The subtle waves add volume to the hair. The height added to the hair near the crown makes her face look longer.
25. Charlize Theron
There isn’t a hairstyle that wouldn’t look good on this goddess. Charlize Theron absolutely stuns in this hairstyle. The upswept bangs add height to the hair and give the face a longer look. The lower inward layers of hair slim the face right at the jawline.
26. Kelly Osbourne
It should be no surprise that this trendsetter and Fashion Police alum is on this list. Kelly Osbourne is known for her remarkable hair colors, which we can see in this picture. This sleek hairdo looks perfect for an event. While the sleek pony might not flatter a round face shape, pair it with side-swept bangs, and you’ve got magic.
27. Mandy Moore
Mandy Moore looks so elegant and pretty in this hairstyle. The layers beginning at her chin add more definition to her jawline and make her face look long. The inward and outward layers at the bottom give her hair a fuller look. The side parting makes her forehead appear smaller and brings the focus to her eyes.
28. Chrissy Teigen
Chrissy Teigen’s style is to die for! She looks amazing in this hairdo. The tight high bun acts slightly as a faux facelift. By bunning your hair higher, your cheeks are slightly lifted and become more accentuated. This hairstyle also narrows the bottom half of your face.
29. Kelly Clarkson
Short spiky layered straight hair, like Kelly’s, looks good on all round faces. The side bangs and layers take away the width of the face, giving it a slimmer look. The outward ends add volume to the hair. The layers near the jawline give the face a more extended appearance.
30. Jennifer Lawrence
Jennifer Lawrence looks good in just about every hairstyle, but this one is my favorite. If you have a thin round face and want a bob cut, this is perfect. The long one-sided bangs bring attention to the eyes and cheeks. The light and dark tones work together to make her face slender. If you have long hair, then just tie your hair in a low bun at the back to replicate this look.
So, these are my picks for hairstyles that worked on celebs with round faces. The key is to try a few and see which ones may or may not suit you. Tread carefully when trying a short bob cut. Go ahead and try them – and have fun!
- Eyebrows For A Round Face
- Top 50 Eye Makeup Videos From Around The World To Inspire You
- 14 Best Hairstyles For Round Face
- 5 Hairstyles For Brides With Round Faces
Banner Image Credits: Instagram