Kajal or kohl pencil is a quintessential part of any eye makeup routine, and it is a staple beauty product in your vanity. While there are plenty of ways to enhance your eyes nowadays, knowing how to apply kajal beautifully and with precision will instantly make your eyes look dramatic and appealing.
We will learn some tips and tricks to work with a kohl pencil in this post. Applying kajal might seem intimidating initially, but it is simpler than using an eyeliner. You can use a kohl pencil to create a single stroke or even bold smokey eyes. Once you have mastered the right technique, you can achieve different eye looks like a winged or cat-eye look in no time. Shalini Mandal, a YouTuber, shared her personal experience and how she likes to apply kajal effortlessly in various ways. She states, “I’m going to mix and match these three different ways and come up with a new look every time. This is what I have been doing all those years when I wasn’t introduced to eyeshadows, so kajal was my bae (i).”
So, if you want beautiful kohl-rimmed eyes, keep reading this article to find a step-by-step guide for applying kajal, the basic cosmetic product that you need. Scroll down!
- Types: Kajal is commercially available in the form of sharpenable pencils, retractable sticks, gels, and powders. Retractable ones are beginner-friendly while powders require practice.
- Base: Apply a thin layer of cream foundation on your lids and lash line to intensify the kajal color and avoid a cakey finish.
- Skin Type: If you have oily skin, use compact or loose powder to create a dry base and avoid smudging.
- Colors: Black for sharp and edgy looks; white for bright and cheerful looks; and other vibrant shades to add a lively pop of color to the look.
- Avoid: Inner corners of the eyes as those areas tend to get moist and ruin the look. You may use shimmery eyeshadows or highlighters instead.
In This Article
How To Choose The Best Kajal?
The first and foremost step is to find a kajal that suits your needs and preferences. There are several factors that can help you decide:
- Consider your eye color and skin type to choose the perfect shade and formula.
- You can choose from a retractable or a sharpenable kajal, you can choose between textures and colors. There are literally a bazillion options out there.
- Try to avoid using pencils with glitter or shimmer in them as these elements can be harmful to your eyes. Avoid them for regular usage.
- If you have sensitive eyes, pick a more natural or organic kajal.
- Also, invest in a good quality product with added nourishing ingredients, since your eyes are extremely vulnerable to infections.
- You can also choose a lighter shade such as brown/dark brown. These shades can make your eyes look a lot bigger.
To make your job easier, we’ve listed out a few kajals that will not fail to impress you. Use a water-resistant kajal so you don’t end up looking racoon-eyed in the case of rain or a few tears.
- Loreal Paris Kajal Magique
- Lotus Ecostay Kajal
- Maybelline Colossal Kajal
- A.C. Smolder Eye Kohl
- Lakme Eyeconic Kajal
For more products, read – 18 Best Kajals And Kohl Pencils in India
Prepping Your Eyes
I can’t stress enough how essential it is to prepare your eyes before you apply any kind of makeup. Make sure you’ve cleansed and removed any traces of oil or dirt. To cover up under eye dark circles, dab some concealer or foundation. Don’t forget to use a primer or some foundation on your eye lids as well. Make sure the color of your eyelids is in coordination with your base. This will keep the kajal from smudging and it will also make your eye makeup last for longer.
If you are on the look out for some good primers, we’ve got you covered.
- A.C Prep + Prime 24-Hour Extend Eye Base
- PAC Eye Base
- Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Eye Base
- Nicka K Perfection Eye Primer
- Inglot Eye Makeup Base
How to Apply Kajal on Eyes Perfectly?
What You Will Need
- Kajal/ Kohl
- Smudging brush
- Mascara/ Eye shadow (optional)
You can also use setting powder if you do not want a smudged look. It will help to keep your kohl in place.
Step By Step Tutorial To Put Kajal on Eyes
Although there are many different ways to do this, we’ve put together a simple step-by-step process to help you achieve stunning eyes within barely five minutes.
1. Glide That Kajal On
Start by applying the kajal to your lower waterline to make it more prominent. Start at the outer corners in order to impart a darker color. If you have smaller eyes, do not apply the kajal to your inner corners as this will make them appear even smaller.
2. Layer It Up
Ladies, the secret to long-lasting makeup is layering. However, always start with little. You can add easily as you go but removing is a no-go. Using a sharp kajal pencil, start lining your eyes from the outer corner and work your way through to the inner corner. This way you will ensure not to get any excess product deposited in the inner corners.
Apply generous coats depending on the way you like it so your eyes are well defined. For smaller eyes, focus primarily on the outer corners. It instantly opens up your eyes and makes them look bigger.
3. Smudge Away
If you’re aiming for a subtle smokey-eye for that added bit of sophisticated drama, use a smudging brush to gently smudge and blend the kajal and smoke it out.
Layer as you please, and gently smudge away each layer.
Depending on the occasion, you can create either a more elaborate look or something you can rock on the regular!
4. Tightline That Upper Waterline
To accentuate your eyes further, line the upper waterline using your kajal pencil instead of a liquid liner. Don’t forget the roots of your lashes as well. This trick will instantly make your eyelashes look thicker and will help to make your eyes pop.
5. Intensify That Upper Eyelid
Work on your upper eyelid by defining it with your kajal as per your preference. You can start by closing your eye and drawing a soft line from the outer corner to the inner corner. Use short strokes for better application and gradually make it thicker according to your desire. This will give you a bold look.
You can use a neutral-colored eye shadow to up your game. The Maybelline New York, The Nudes Eyeshadow Palette has some great shades that you can use on an everyday basis.
Your makeup is never complete without some mascara. You can use mascara stencil, particularly so as not to ruin your kohl. Use an eyelash curler for some added bounce and apply a coat of waterproof mascara to make your eyes appear brighter and youthful.
Don’t forget your eyebrows in the process. Lightly fill them in using the right shade of brow pomade/powder to give your face a more sculpted look. The Maybelline Fashion Brow Duo Shaper is something even beginners can work with, and the results are so on point!
For fancy occasions like weddings, dinners or parties, you can amp up your game by wearing false lashes or using different shades of eye pencils for a different look. This will definitely add a whole different level of oomph and glamor to those eyes!
Tips And Precautions To Be Followed While Applying Kajal
Since your eyes are fragile and very vulnerable to damage, please ensure that you follow a few precautions when it comes to putting absolutely anything on them.
- Would you share your tooth brush with your friends? No, right? Do not, under any circumstances, share your kajal or eyeliner with others. Germs can easily be transferred in the process and you may pick up a bad eye infection.
- If you wear contact lenses, invest in a kajal pencil that is most importantly smudge-proof in order to avoid getting any of the product on your lenses.
- To avoid permanent damage or going blind, ensure you do not do your eye makeup or pull out your kajal pencil for a quick-fix, while you are in a moving vehicle.
- Experiment with different colors once in a while to understand what works for you.
- Skip kajal or other eye products, when you have an eye irritation or infection.
- To avoid infections, avoid using products that have expired or are close to their expiry dates.
- Always take off your eye makeup before you go to bed, using either an eye makeup remover or coconut oil.
Infographic: Steps To Apply Kajal Flawlessly Every Single Time
Nothing beats the magic and intense drama of kohl-lined eyes. While the application might be messy, especially if you are a beginner, you can master it in seven easy steps. The infographic below summarizes the easy step-by-step guide to get the kohl or kajal look right every single time. Take a look.
If you are into perfectly-shaped eyebrows and cannot bear those gradually growing hair around your brows that messes up the brow shape now and then, tweezing always saves the day. Especially during the pandemic, when going to the salon for threading was not an option, tweezing came to the rescue. So, now that you know how to tweeze your eyebrows at home, go ahead and give it a try. Also, if your resistance to pain is less, you are glad to know that tweezing after a shower works wonders. Just be gentle and remember, do not over-pluck your eyebrows.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is kajal safe for the eyes?
Yes, kajal is very much safe for your eyes. In fact, women in ancient Egypt considered it to be good for the eyes as well! However, you must see to it that it is removed at the end of the day, since your skin needs to breathe as well. Use a gentle makeup remover to remove all makeup, including kajal, before you sleep. Some eyes are more sensitive than others, so if you feel any kind of irritation, remove it and opt for another product if you wish.
How to remove kajal from the eyes?
Makeup, in general, can be removed using either a makeup remover or coconut oil. For the eyes, take some of the makeup remover onto a cotton pad and slightly drag it away from your eyes. Try not to rub too much. Otherwise it may cause irritation. Wash off with a cleansing face wash.
What is the difference between kohl and kajal?
Kohl comprises mixed powder and waxes, whereas kajal is made from soot. Kohl glides on more smoothly when compared to kajal, but tends to smudge faster. Kajal lasts longer but it can be difficult to apply and it doesn’t look as intense as kohl.
How do I prevent my kajal from smudging?
Firstly, use a smudge-proof kajal. It starts from choosing the product itself. Usually, this alone isn’t enough for most people. Additionally, find a pigmented black eyeshadow. Just as foundation needs to be set with a powder, kajal needs to be set as well. Use a small eyeliner brush to work some of the eyeshadow over the kajal and notice the difference.
Which kajal would you recommend for sensitive eyes?
The Bourjois Contour Clubbing Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil is a good choice from the drugstore range, and the Smolder Eye Kohl by MAC is suitable for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers.
Is it good to apply kajal every day?
Kajal is a makeup product composed of chemicals that may not be good for your eyes and skin. Therefore, applying it every day is not ideal. If you do apply it everyday, make sure to clean your face thoroughly before napping.
Why do my eyes water after applying kajal?
Your eyes may water after applying kajal if they are sensitive to the ingredients in the product. Therefore, it is best to use one prescribed by your dermatologist.
How do I choose the right shade for my eyes?
Although black is the most versatile kajal shade, you can experiment with other colors. Apply white or nude kajal on your lower lash lines to make your eyes appear more prominent. Try pop colors like blue, green, or red to complement your eye color and skin tone.
- Choose a kajal according to your eye color and skin type.
- Clean your eyes and eyelids to remove dirt and oil before applying kajal.
- You can use a smudger brush to smudge the kajal softly to get a smokey-eye look.
- Use a steady hand if you are using liquid eyeliner, and work your way outward from the center of the eyelash.
Learn the art of applying kajal like a pro in this beginner-friendly tutorial! This video offers step-by-step guidance to help you master the perfect kajal application technique.
Personal Experience: Source
i. How to Apply Kajal in Different Ways | Create smokey eyes /eyeliner/everyday Looks Using Kajal