They say that your eyes are the window to your soul.
Although there exist a million ways to enhance the eyes, every woman has her very own distinct style when it comes to doing their eye makeup. Kajal is of utmost significance, especially to us Indian girls for most of us feel incomplete without at least a stroke of it. True story?
Since it’s a quintessential makeup item that all girls need, it’s important to pick the right kind for you. The market is full of waterproof, smudge-proof and other such cool products. However, what makes a world of a difference is the way you apply your kajal.
To achieve the kajal-rimmed look that is on point, keep reading further.
How To Choose The Best Kajal?
The first and foremost step is to find a kajal that suits your needs and preferences. There are several factors that can help you decide:
- You can choose from a retractable or a sharpenable kajal, you can choose between textures and colors. There are literally a bazillion options out there.
- Try to avoid using pencils with glitter or shimmer in them as these elements can be harmful to your eyes.
- If you have sensitive eyes, pick a more natural or organic kajal.
- Also, invest in a good quality product with added nourishing ingredients, since your eyes are extremely vulnerable to infections.
- You can also choose a lighter shade such as brown/dark brown. These shades can make your eyes look a lot bigger.
To make your job easier, we’ve listed out a few kajals that will not fail to impress you. Use a water-resistant kajal so you don’t end up looking racoon-eyed in the case of rain or a few tears.
- Loreal Paris Kajal Magique
- Lotus Ecostay Kajal
- Maybelline Colossal Kajal
- A.C. Smolder Eye Kohl
- Lakme Eyeconic Kajal
For more products, read – 18 Best Kajals And Kohl Pencils in India
Prepping Your Eyes
I can’t stress enough how essential it is to prepare your eyes before you apply any kind of makeup. Make sure you’ve cleansed and removed any traces of oil or dirt. To cover up under eye dark circles, dab some concealer or foundation. Don’t forget to use a primer or some foundation on your eye lids as well. This will keep the kajal from smudging and it will also make your eye makeup last for longer.
If you are on the look out for some good primers, we’ve got you covered.
- A.C Prep + Prime 24-Hour Extend Eye Base
- PAC Eye Base
- Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Eye Base
- Nicka K Perfection Eye Primer
- Inglot Eye Makeup Base
How to Apply Kajal on Eyes Perfectly?
What You Will Need
- Kajal/ Kohl
- Smudging brush
- Mascara/ Eye shadow (optional)
Step By Step Tutorial To Put Kajal on Eyes
Although there are many different ways to do this, we’ve put together a simple step-by-step process to help you achieve stunning eyes within barely five minutes.
1. Glide That Kajal On
Start by applying the kajal to your lower waterline to make it more prominent. Start at the outer corners in order to impart a darker color. If you have smaller eyes, do not apply the kajal to your inner corners as this will make them appear even smaller.
2. Layer It Up
Ladies, the secret to long-lasting makeup is layering. Using a sharp kajal pencil, start lining your eyes from the outer corner and work your way through to the inner corner. This way you will ensure not to get any excess product deposited in the inner corners.
Apply generous coats depending on the way you like it so your eyes are well defined. For smaller eyes, focus primarily on the outer corners. It instantly opens up your eyes and makes them look bigger.
3. Smudge Away
If you’re aiming for a subtle smokey-eye for that added bit of sophisticated drama, use a smudging brush to gently smudge the kajal and smoke it out.
Layer as you please, and gently smudge away each layer.
Depending on the occasion, you can create either a more elaborate look or something you can rock on the regular!
4. Tightline That Upper Waterline
To accentuate your eyes further, line the upper waterline using your kajal pencil instead of a liquid liner. Don’t forget the roots of your lashes as well. This trick will instantly make your eyelashes look thicker and will help to make your eyes pop.
5. Intensify That Upper Eyelid
Work on your upper eyelid by defining it with your kajal as per your preference. You can start by closing your eye and drawing a soft line from the outer corner to the inner corner. Use short strokes for better application and gradually make it thicker according to your desire. This will give you a bold look.
You can use a neutral-colored eye shadow to up your game. The Maybelline New York, The Nudes Eyeshadow Palette has some great shades that you can use on an everyday basis.
Your makeup is never complete without some mascara. Use an eyelash curler for some added bounce and apply a coat of waterproof mascara to make your eyes appear brighter and youthful.
Don’t forget your eyebrows in the process. Lightly fill them in using the right shade of brow pomade/powder to give your face a more sculpted look. The Maybelline Fashion Brow Duo Shaper is something even beginners can work with, and the results are so on point!
For fancy occasions like weddings, dinners or parties, you can amp up your game by wearing false lashes or using different shades of eye pencils for a different look. This will definitely add a whole different level of oomph and glamor to those eyes!
Tips And Precautions To Be Followed While Applying Kajal
Since your eyes are fragile and very vulnerable to damage, please ensure that you follow a few precautions when it comes to putting absolutely anything on them.
- Would you share your tooth brush with your friends? No, right? Do not, under any circumstances, share your kajal or eyeliner with others. Germs can easily be transferred in the process and you may pick up a bad eye infection.
- If you wear contact lenses, invest in a kajal pencil that is most importantly smudge-proof in order to avoid getting any of the product on your lenses.
- To avoid permanent damage or going blind, ensure you do not do your eye makeup or pull out your kajal pencil for a quick-fix, while you are in a moving vehicle.
- Skip kajal or other eye products, when you have an eye irritation or infection.
- To avoid infections, avoid using products that have expired or are close to their expiry dates.
- Always take off your eye makeup before you go to bed, using either an eye makeup remover or coconut oil.
So, ladies, we hope we’ve made your job easier and given you some fresh ideas to help you play around with your kajal pencil. Remember, makeup is an art, and you are the artist. Don’t be afraid of experimenting with some new looks to help you pick your favorite one.
Expert’s Answers for Readers Questions
Is kajal safe for the eyes?
Yes, kajal is very much safe for your eyes. In fact, women in ancient Egypt considered it to be good for the eyes as well! However, you must see to it that it is removed at the end of the day, since your skin needs to breathe as well. Use a gentle makeup remover to remove all makeup, including kajal, before you sleep. Some eyes are more sensitive than others, so if you feel any kind of irritation, remove it and opt for another product if you wish.
How to remove kajal from the eyes?
Makeup, in general, can be removed using either a makeup remover or coconut oil. For the eyes, take some of the makeup remover onto a cotton pad and slightly drag it away from your eyes. Try not to rub too much. Otherwise it may cause irritation. Wash off with a cleansing face wash.
What is the difference between kohl and kajal?
Kohl comprises mixed powder and waxes, whereas kajal is made from soot. Kohl glides on more smoothly when compared to kajal, but tends to smudge faster. Kajal lasts longer but it can be difficult to apply and it doesn’t look as intense as kohl.
How do I prevent my kajal from smudging?
Firstly, use a smudge-proof kajal. It starts from choosing the product itself. Usually, this alone isn’t enough for most people. Additionally, find a pigmented black eyeshadow. Just as foundation needs to be set with a powder, kajal needs to be set as well. Use a small eyeliner brush to work some of the eyeshadow over the kajal and notice the difference.
Which kajal would you recommend for sensitive eyes?
The Bourjois Contour Clubbing Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil is a good choice from the drugstore range, and the Smolder Eye Kohl by MAC is suitable for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers.
- Lakme Eyeconic Kajal Review
- 4 Most Popular Lakme Kajals and Their Benefits
- Maybelline Colossal Kajal Super Black Review
- 11 Wonderful Makeup Tips to Make Your Eyes Look Bigger
- SoulTree Ayurvedic Kajal Review