Wondering how to deal with thick hair? With some of the best curling irons for thick hair, you will not find it hard to tame those locks. All lovely ladies with thick hair, as much as you think it’s tough to manage thick hair, it is also a huge blessing. Sure, thick hair can offer a lot of resistance while styling but the right curling iron can make your locks shiny and beautiful. Gorgeous curls that have the desired volume and shine makes every woman confident to rock her hair. But how do you achieve that when you have thick hair? If you pay a little attention when purchasing your curling iron, you can make the experience of curling your hair effortless. Enjoy experimenting with various types of curls just like you desire. It could be beachy waves, closed curls, or open curls that flatter your hair and give you that rocking bounce.
If you’re not very good at choosing versatile styling appliances, fret not. We got you lovely! Check out our list of the best curling irons for thick hair if you want a lead:
In This Article
Top 15 Curling Irons For Thick Hair: Best Curling Irons & Wands For Your Hair
Style your hair to suit your personal taste with the Hot Tools Professional Curling Iron. It is designed with a cutting edge style tool that lets you create the perfect curls, romantic beachy waves, and glamorous loops. It comes with a styling iron of 24-karat which evenly distributes heat from one end to the other and ensures that the wand remains hot throughout your styling process. With complete control of the heat setting, you just have to twist the rheostat to set the temperature you desire. It also has a rotating cool tip to enable faster curl wrapping, giving you perfectly curled locks. Learn more about the tester’s experience of using the product in this video.
- Unique surface which allows even distribution of heat for quick styling
- Sleek design and comfortable grip for easy use
- Variable temperature control of up to 430 F along with a temperature lock option
- Stays consistently hot and maintains temperature throughout the styling process
- Comes with a foldable safety stand for convenient storage
- Does not allow hair to glide through it
The professional FoxyBae Wanderlux 32mm Curling Wand from Foxy Bae is your perfect style partner. It comes with an advanced titanium barrel with negative ion technology that ensures perfect frizz-free curls in very less time. The rose gold titanium barrel evenly distributes the heat to give long-lasting beach waves without any thermal damage. The temperature control feature allows getting the desired temperature based on your preferences. The curling wand can go a maximum of 450°F. It is also equipped with LED indicator lights that lets you know when it reaches the desired temperature. The LCD display, 360° rotatable cord, and auto shut-off features are like icing on the cake, making it a must-have for many reviewers.
- Even heat distribution
- Generates negative ions
- Heats up fast
- Long-lasting results
- Digital temperature control
- Anti-frizz effect
- No dual voltage
One of the best clamp-free curling irons for thick hair, the Conair Infiniti Pro Curling Wand gives you those dreamy beachy waves you always desired. Whether you want looser curls or tighter ones, a simple wrap around the curling tool allows you to create your hairstyle. If you want tight curls, simply wrap your hair tightly around the wand and for loose curls, wrap your hair in wider sections. It is conically tapered which enables you to try out a variety of different curls, from trendy and twisted spirals to curly and wavy bouncy locks for all your styling needs. The Tourmaline Ceramic technology gets rid of frizzy hair and makes your hair silky and smooth. It heats up and is ready to style your hair in less than 30 seconds. Take a look at this video that details the tester’s experience with using the product.
- Clamp-free, tangle-free, and no-snag technology to ensure easy curling
- Heats up in less than 30 seconds and remains hot consistently
- Built-in safety feature in the form of auto shut-off
- Comes with a thermal glove to offer protection for your hand
- The cord is long enough to ensure styling any part of your hair
- Does not come with a clip to hold the hair down
Another one from Connair, this curling iron is sturdy with a touch of classy. It instantly heats up, eliminating your wait time. The Conair Instant Heat Curling Iron has a modern and patented design. Its unique feature is the tangle-free swivel cord and a nonslip grip handle. It has an electronic touchpad control switch and a dual voltage system which gives it a modern touch. The curling iron comes with a setting of 25 different temperatures to give you the most optimized control. The inch barrel has a combination of elements like chromium, nickel, copper, and steel which ensures consistent heat and long-lasting results.
- The device has a modern design
- It has an option of 25 different temperatures
- It features an instant heat-up option
- It has a sturdy non-slip grip
- The tangle-free swivel cord makes it convenient for use
- Does not have a chrome finish
If you are looking for loose curls for thick hair, this curling iron is the one for you. It uses far-infrared heat which helps to heat hair from the shaft and reduce damage. It is designed to manage 50 different heat settings and features a turbo heat button which instantly boosts heat and gives you defined curls. You can choose from various sizes depending on the curl size you desire. Unlike conventional barrels, the BabylissPRO Nano Titanium Spring Curling Iron barrels are made up of Sol-Gel technology which has a higher percentage of titanium and ceramic coating. Because of this, they are stronger, chemically resistant, and long-lasting. Reviewers recommend this iron for curling long hair without any tugs or pulls.
- A choice of 50 different heat settings which go up to 450°F
- Has a turbo heat boost button that results in defined curls
- Can create loose waves or textured curls, depending on your preference
- Barrels have a high-end technology to make it stronger and long-lasting
- Might be less durable
The CHI Spin N Curl Ceramic Rotating Curling Iron proves to be an essential beauty gadget if you’re obsessed with on-the-go curls without having to deal with split ends or frizz. More so, this curling iron is also useful in repairing damaged hair, giving it a healthy and shiny look. The curling iron intensively nourishes your hair while preventing the hair from getting damaged due to heat. This curler has an automatic shut-off button for energy-saving and its power cord prevents wire twinning for a professional experience every time you desire you create elegant curls.
- Adjustable heat settings as per hair type
- Auto-rotating barrel
- Prevent hair tangle
- Makes hair shiny and healthy
- Might be pricey
Bestope includes a 1-inch bubble barrel in its 5-in-1 curling wand set that helps first-timers get the curls they always wanted. No more trips to the salon to get curls done! This curling iron imparts your hair a frizz-free and shiny finish, making it a perfect tool for versatile hair styling. The lock for the barrels is notch based which gives them extra stability. With the non-skid type handle, it is evident that safety and comfort are at the forefront of the design. Bestope also includes a heat resistant glove that comes handy when you want to quickly swap barrels without having to wait for it to cool down. It makes a great gift for your friends and family members. This set has become a favorite among reviewers for diverse options and its ease of use.
- Comes with a bubble barrel
- Interchangeable barrels
- Takes 45 seconds to reach a temperature of 410F which is suitable for all hair types
- The barrel is made of 100% Tourmaline ceramic which ensures even heat distribution, rapid heating and helps seal moisture to protect the hair
- Has an auto shut-off function that shuts down the wand when left unused for 60 minutes
- Doesn’t have an option to regulate temperature
Enhance your style statement with one of the most innovative hair curlers, the Savani Cordless Automatic Hair Curler. The cordless automatic hair curler operates on a high-capacity rechargeable battery with a power-charging type-c port. The battery takes 4-5 to charge fully and operates for approx. 120 minutes with a single charge. It is equipped with a rotating ceramic curling iron which is covered with a thick plastic coating that protects your hands from burning. Its anti-tangled component is equipped with a smart sensor chip that prevents hair from being tangled and gives frizz-free beach waves. The automatic curler has 4 temperature settings from 290°F to 390°F, and 6 timer settings from 8-18 secs to get the desired curls. It is lightweight, effortless to operate, and gives beautiful waves that last for a long time. It works perfectly for short to mid-length thick hair
- Easy to operate
- Anti-tangled feature
- Auto shut off
The easy-to-grip, efficient and ergonomic Mr. Big Curling Iron styles your hair perfectly. It has an extra-long barrel of 9.25 inches which curls 32 inches of long hair in a single time. Its 1.25-inch wider barrel is ceramic triple-plated, which releases negative ions, which eliminates frizz and gives highly sought frizz–free beachy waves with ease. In addition, its multiple heat settings provide the option of creating customized styles as per your hair texture. It also has a heat-up time indicator which stops flashing when it reaches the desired temperature. Its added features, like the instant heat-up time mechanism, 360-degree rotating long cord, a coated non-slip resting stand, and an extra-long thumb grip for hassle-free and burn-free curling, make it an excellent curler for getting salon-quality waves at home.
- Extra-long barrel
- Saves time
- Multiple heat setting
- Easy to use
- Auto shut off
- 360-degree swivel cord
- Small temperature dial
The Herstyler Baby Curling Iron Wand is made of ceramic that releases negative ions, preventing damage to the hair cuticles. This mini curler creates tight curls that look smooth, natural, and last a day easily. It heats up to 400°F and the clipless teflon barrel helps you to have shiny hair without any breakage. The ergonomically designed curling iron is suitable for all hair types and is convenient for travel and storage.
- Suitable for all hair types
- Heats up quickly
- Tapered barrel
- No auto shut off
- No indicator
- No temperature adjustment
The ergonomically designed, 3-barrel ceramic rods from INH Beach Waver Curling Iron gives natural-looking curls for all types of hair. It comes with pro-grade ionic ceramic tourmaline, which gives moisture-rich, frizz-free beachy waves. With customized temperature settings up to 450oF get the desired curls for fine, medium, or thick hair instantly. Its even heat distribution and cool tip let you style at your ease. Other features like the auto shut-off, non-slip handle, tangle-free 360° swivel cord, easy-to-read temperature control LED screen, universal dual voltage, and 1-year manufacturer’s warranty make it a perfect choice.
- Ergonomically designed
- Ceramic coated barrels
- Precision temperature control
- Eliminates frizz and static
- Dual voltage
- Includes heat-resistant gloves
- 1-year warranty
- Shorter barrel size
The MODVICA 3 Barrel Curling Iron Wand gives you the most natural-looking curls and waves with minimal effort. Its barrels are coated with tourmaline ceramic glaze, which gives an instant shine with long-lasting curls. The curling iron is equipped with a PTC heater which quickly warms up to 180℃ in only 30 seconds, while negative ion technology eliminates frizz and creates the beautiful S-shaped waves that you crave. It has 2 temperature settings, 180℃ for thin hair and 210℃ for thick hair. It also features a built-in stand to protect surfaces.
- Anti-skid handle
- Fast and efficient heating
- Gives constant temperature
- Temperature resistance
- No auto shut off
- Small temperature rotator
The automatic rotating iron is the perfect response to people who constantly burn their hands with the iron barrel. All you need to do is put a section of hair on the teeth end of the barrel and start the motor that rotates the barrel in the direction you want the curl in and hold it there, the iron further has a monotone beep that goes off in a few seconds that ensures you don’t over style and damage your hair. The curling iron comes with an adjustable temperature ranging from 250°F to 450°F catering to all types of hair. The thick barrel curling iron is made of ceramic and coated with nanodiamond particles that provide consistent heat for a beautiful finish.
- Has an automatic curling rod
- Adjustable heat control
- The diamond-coated ceramic barrel provides a smooth finish
- Reduces the chances of burning your hand
- The beep at the end of a curling process ensure you don’t over style
- It doesn’t have an indicator to display temperature.
The Bio Ionic curl iron has a 1.25-inch barrel that is coated with nanoionic minerals that emit negative ions. These ions break down water clusters deep into the hair to give you the result you’ve always wanted without damaging your hair by retaining the moisture. The bioceramic heaters allow the barrel to evenly heat up to 430°F and the temperature could be adjusted based on your needs with a simple press of a button.
- It has a long 9 feet cable that has 360-degree freedom to swivel that reduces the chances of tangling
- Has a digital temperature control
- Has an auto power shut down feature if not used for 60 minutes
- Has a universal voltage making it ideal for travel
- Might be less durable
The T3 SinglePass houses an internal microchip that maintains an evenly distributed
The T3 SinglePass houses an internal microchip that maintains an evenly distributed temperature across the barrel so you get uniform results. It is an easy way to curl thick hair without exposing the hair to unnecessary heat. It has an adjustable temperature control with a wide range starting from 260°F to a maximum temperature of 410°F catering to all types of hair. This curling iron offers proven efficacy in the retention of perfect curls for more than a day.
- Stylish design
- Adjustable temperature control
- It has only one twist dial that controls all the function from switching the iron on to changing the temperature settings which may get confusing
Buying Guide – Curling Irons For Thick Hair
Why Do You Need Curling Irons For Thick Hair?
Thick hair does not mean a lot of hair. It means that each strand has a thickness to it when compared to other hair. A lot of women with thick hair have problems with frizzy and untamable hair. It becomes difficult to maintain the frizz and that’s where curling irons come into play. With the right device, every woman can have a salon-style experience for their hair and will not have to constantly try to manage their thick hair.
How To Choose The Best Curling Iron For Thick Hair?
With an array of options and features, it becomes a tedious task to choose the best curling iron for thick hair. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Here are a few things to keep in mind while choosing a curling iron for thick hair:
- Type of curl – It is important to know what type of curl you desire. Do you want your hair to wind up in tight curls or you’ve always dreamed of rocking those beachy waves? Either way, the device you choose should be in line with the type of curl you desire.
- Hair Length – Depending on the length of your hair, it is important to choose a curling iron with a suitable sized barrel. We recommend that if you have long hair, opt for a curling iron with a longer barrel and if you have short hair, choose one with a smaller barrel.
- Temperature control – Thick hair is difficult to style and control. Therefore it is important to choose a curling iron that has a temperature control that can be adjusted based on your preference or what your hair requires.
- Barrel material – Since the styling of your hair is contingent on the barrel, the material it is made of is a factor to consider. Most barrels have either of these materials or coating – titanium, ceramic or tourmaline. Depending on the needs of your hair, you can choose the one that suits your hair for the desired effect.
How To Curl Long Thick Wavy Hair?
Now that we’ve taken you through the buying guide, let’s look at a step by step guide on how to curl thick hair using a curling iron.
Step 1: Get your hair ready
Make sure your hair is clean and dry before using a curling iron. Keeping your hair dry minimizes the damage caused by the heat of a curling iron. It is not a must to wash your hair before styling it, however, make sure your hair is clean.
It is also important to prep your hair with a heat protectant spray before using a curling iron. This will prevent potential damage by providing your hair with thermal resistance.
Step 2: Switch on your curling iron
Find the button to activate your curling iron. Let it heat up for 30 seconds before using it. You can adjust the temperature depending on your requirements.
Step 3: Segment your hair
It is important to split your hair into segments to make it an easy process. Divide your hair into sections depending on the number of curls you desire. If you have long hair, divide your hair into upper and lower sections for smooth curling. Make sure your hair is tangle-free after you’ve made your sections.
Step 4: Curl away
This is a crucial part of the process. Take a section of hair and wrap it around your curling iron. You want to begin at the root of the barrel and work your way upwards. Now, gently pull the iron in the opposite direction of your hair while removing it. During this, use your other hand to rotate the iron while removing it from your hair. We recommend that you do not hold it for more than 5 to 10 seconds depending on the thickness of your hair.
Now, repeat the procedure with each segment until you’ve covered all of your hair.
Step 5: Spray your hair
To secure your beautiful curls, spray your hair with your favorite hairspray. This will keep your curls in place for a longer time. We recommend that you use a spray that does not have harmful chemicals and is gentle on your hair for a secure hold.
Tips For Curling Long Thick Hair
Here are a few tips and tricks that you can follow to get those beautiful dreamy curls as you’ve always desired.
- While wrapping your hair around the barrel, make sure you avoid twisting it to get the desired curls.
- Once you finish wrapping your hair, hold your curled hair up for a few seconds using your other hand to prevent it from stretching for a long-lasting hold.
- If you want beachy waves, wrap your hair around the barrel in huge curls and run your fingers through the curls. This will open out your curls and give you those dreamy beach waves.
Tips For Long Lasting Curls For Thick Hair
While curling your hair can be fun and beautiful, the challenge is that it does not last long. However, here are a few tips on how to make them last a little longer:
- Wash your hair a day before you use your curling iron.
- Avoid running your fingers through your hair once it’s curled. Constantly doing this will straighten out your curls and make you lose them.
- Spray your hair with a good quality hairspray to keep your curls intact for a longer time.
Infographic: Easy Hairstyles To Try On Thick Hair With A Curler
While having thick long hair is something we all dream of, styling it can sometimes become a task, especially while managing all that extra volume. This is why you may often wonder how to style your hair in a way that looks cute and will not tire out your arms. Go through the infographic below to get a few ideas about styling your thick hair with a curler. These easy hairstyles will let you show off your voluminous locks in the most chic way. Keep scrolling!
Curling irons that can tame thick locks are a true blessing! You can curl your thick strands and make gorgeous hairdos with the help of curling irons that are made to work on voluminous hair. From beachy waves to party-ready curls, you can make any hairstyle with the help of these curling irons. With the versatile Hot Tools Professional Curling Iron, you can get quick and even heat distribution resulting in perfect, long-lasting curls. The Conair Instant Heat Curling Iron offers 25 heat settings and a Turbo Heat Button for added styling ease. Further, the Mr. Big Curling Iron reduces frizz with pro-negative ion technology and promotes lovely, thick curls. You need to ensure that the wand remains hot while you style your hair. Moreover, the wand should also maintain the temperature throughout the process. While purchasing curling irons for yourself, it is better to opt for ones that have received positive reviews and offer professional-grade results. Also, steer clear of curling irons that don’t promise to eliminate frizz and split ends from your strands.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
Medha Deb has a profound interest in researching and reviewing skin and hair care products to recommend the most sought-after products in the market. She has studied multiple user reviews and product listings to compile this list of the best curling irons for thick hair. Sneha has also shared tips for choosing the right product and a buying guide to help you make an informed choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are curling irons or curling wands better for thick hair?
Both of these options are suitable for thick hair. While most people prefer curling wands, a curling iron works just as well if you know how to use it.
What is the best curling iron to create beach waves in thick hair?
Beach waves are curls that are open and do not require a tight twist around the barrel. Therefore, a curling iron with a large barrel works well for beach waves.
Does your hair length affect the curling iron you should choose?
Choosing the right curling iron depends on the length of your hair. Curling iron with a large barrel is ideal for long hair while short hair can be styled with a smaller barrel.
How to maintain and clean my curling iron?
You don’t have to clean your curling iron after every use. However, if you feel there is a build-up in your appliance, the best way to clean it is to use warm water and a paper towel to wipe it clean.
- Best Curling Irons For Short Hair
- Best Curling Irons For Fine Hair
- Best Flat Irons Trusted By Stylists For Curling Hair
- Best Drugstore Curling Irons