7 Best Darkest Red Lipsticks Of 2023 For Every Skin Tone
Bold and beautiful, this sultry shade of red will make you the center of attention.
A makeup kit is simply incomplete without red lipstick. Red is the color of confidence and boldness. Red declares “I am” and so you deserve the best dark red lipstick that can effortlessly brighten up your look and flatter your beauty. Explore our list of the top 7 dark red lipsticks out now and pick your favorite.
In This Article
7 Best Darkest Red Lipsticks Of 2023
1. Best Lightweight: Aromi Matte Liquid Lipstick – Red Dahlia
Aromi brings you a stunning dark red lipstick – Red Dahlia – in blue undertones. It has a velvety matte finish and a silky-smooth texture that complements all skin tones. The liquid lipstick glides easily like a gloss and dries out to provide a matte effect. It is a lightweight formula and is comfortable on the lips.
- 100% vegan
- Mineral oil-free
- Rubs off soon
2. Best Smudge-Resistant: Maybelline New York SuperStay Matte Ink – #340 EXHILARATOR
Maybelline New York presents a SuperStay Matte Ink range that provides high pigment colors in a matte finish. The Exhilarator shade has a perfect blueish-red undertone that is simply gorgeous. The long-lasting formula is smudge-proof, transfer-proof, and extremely lightweight. Its precision applicator allows a flawless application.
- Long-lasting color
- Includes precise applicator
- Liquid consistency
- May dry the lips
3. Best Long-Lasting: Smashbox Always On Liquid Lipstick – Bawse
The Smashbox Always On Liquid Lipstick in the Bawse shade has rich pigmented colors that suit olive or medium skin tones. It is enriched with a primer oil complex that keeps the lips moisturized and soft. The lightweight lip color stays in place without smudging or fading and lasts long. This video will provide you with added insights about the product.
- Lasts up to eight hours
- Dries out quickly
4. Best Smear-Proof: Laura Mercier Velour Extreme Matte Lipstick – Dominate
This bold Laura Mercier Velour Extreme Matte Lipstick in the Dominate shade has an extremely matte finish. Its seductive blue-red hue has a sensational velvety texture. The formula is infused with mattifying powders and silky-smooth conditioners that make the lips soft and luscious. The stick has a slimline design for a precise and mess-free application.
- Mess-free application
5. Best Waterproof: URBAN DECAY Vice Lip Bond – Unbreakable
The URBAN DECAY Vice Lip Bond is a glossy liquid lipstick that provides a high-shine finish. This lipstick nourishes your lips while also adorning them with a bold, highly pigmented color. The lightweight, non-sticky formula of the lipstick glides smoothly and evenly on your lips and stays on for 16 hours. It is a transfer-resistant and smudge-proof formula that does not fade or crack throughout its wear time. Whether you are heading to the office or partying with your gal pals, this product will keep your lips looking and feeling their best.
- High shine finish
- Some may find it sticky
6. Best For All Skin Tones: MAC Retro Matte Lipstick – Ruby Woo
The MAC Retro Matte Lipstick is a one swipe lip color that stays on for twelve hours. The lipstick has an intense matte finish in balanced blue-red undertones that suits all skin tones. It is one of the best-selling products from the house of MAC and has a cult following.
- Suits all skin tones
7. Best Matte Finish: Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil – Mysterious Red
The Mysterious Red shade from the Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil has a darker blue-red undertone. It has a creamy texture and delivers rich color with a matte finish. The formula contains emollients and vitamin E, which keep the lips moisturized. It is a non-drying pencil that makes the application of color on the lips easy and smooth.
- Does not crack
- Pigments rub off
With the holidays right around the corner, red lipsticks are in season. Red lipstick does not just complement your skin tone but accentuates your overall makeup look while being bold and classy at the same time. The key is to find a good red shade that complements your skin tone and makes your smile pop. Here is a detailed guide on choosing the best red lipstick for every skin tone.
How To Choose The Best Darkest Red Lipsticks For Every Skin Tone?
- Fair Skin Tone: Go for red lipsticks with pink undertones. Blue-based red and pink-based raspberry red colors also add sophistication and glamor to your smile.
- Light Skin Tone: Choose an orange-based red color to complement your skin tone. This color brightens up your face.
- Medium Skin Tone: Opt for an orange-based red color that compliments your brown skin during the summer. During the winter, you can go for a blue-based red color that gives your teeth a gleaming appearance.
- Olive Skin Tone: Choose rust-colored or brick-red lipstick. These rusty tones blend with your skin tone effectively.
- Caramel Skin Tone: Go for red lipstick with a true cherry color. It coordinates perfectly by picking up the warmth of the yellow-based undertones.
- Dark and Golden Tan Skin Tone: Select a bold, true red color that adds warmth to your skin tone. You can also go for blue-based red for a unified and natural look.
- Deep Skin Tone: For a bold look, wear orange-based red lipstick and achieve the perfect pout. For a natural look, choose a blue-based red lipstick that compliments your skin tone and brightens your smile.
- Formula: Pick a formula with high pigments for a brightened appearance. Depending on the time and occasion, you can choose a glossy or matte finish formula. For example, glossy red lipstick is sensational for a romantic date night or a high-profile event, whereas matte red lipstick looks great in daily meetings and lunches.
- Must-Have Ingredients: Choose lipsticks containing moisturizing ingredients like shea butter, natural oils, and glycerine to keep your lips soft, plump, and healthy. Additionally, pick lipstick with the benefits of SPF to protect your lips from harmful UV rays.
- Lasting Power: Look for a fade-resistant and transfer-proof lipstick that promises to last for at least 8 hours. Additionally, make sure to purchase a formula that is easy to remove with makeup remover or cleanser to avoid staining your lips.
- Price: Pick a drugstore lipstick or one from the high-end brands that do not compromise on quality. Avoid buying cheap lipsticks as they contain harsh chemicals which harm your lips.
Lipsticks are an important part of every makeup routine. Red lipsticks make you look bold and confident. They are available in various textures like velvet, matte, and silky-smooth that complement all skin tones. The lipsticks on our list are infused with moisturizing ingredients like vitamins C and E that soften your lips and make them look plumpy. These products offer long-lasting color, are cruelty-free, and are smudge-proof. Check out the product review and choose the lipsticks wisely that suit your skin undertone and has all the additional features that you desire.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
Shiboli Chakraborti, the author, is a certified skin care coach with a passion for makeup and beauty products. She loves reviewing different makeup products in her quest to find the best ones. She believes every makeup kit should have at least one dark red lipstick, and to help her readers pick the best one, she has researched thoroughly to curate this list of the most popular dark red lipsticks with the best formulas. The handpicked products on this list are sure to give you the bold and beautiful look you want to achieve!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the most famous red lipstick?
The most famous red lipstick is a classic red such as the MAC Retro Matte Lipstick – Ruby Woo.
Does dark red lipstick look good on everyone?
Yes, dark red lipstick looks good on almost every skin tone.
How do you pick a dark red lipstick?
If your skin has a cooler undertone, red lipstick with a blue base or maroon will look good on you. On the other hand, wine reds are a better choice if you have a deeper skin tone.
Is red lipstick still in style today?
Yes. Red lipsticks do not go out of style because they are universally flattering and are always a go-to for a bold and elegant look.
Why does red lipstick make my teeth look yellow?
Red lipsticks usually have a warmer undertone which can emphasize the warm tone of your teeth and make them look yellow.