Ever wondered, why even after putting on a foundation and face powder which is a perfect match for your skin tone, pores and blemishes still appear to be visible on your face? This is because you applied makeup without preparing the surface of your skin. Just like walls and furniture need a prime coat that prepares the surface and makes it smooth, your skin too needs a little skin care before you paint it with multiple layers of makeup. Pore-filling primers do the job of minimizing your pores so that you achieve porcelain perfect skin. We have brought together all the best pore minimizing primers in one place so you can virtually take a tour of the products and make a decision to clarify your skin.
Top 13 Best Pore-Minimizing Primers of 2020
The Maybelline New York Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser Primer is a pore minimizing face primer which basically blurs your pores, acts like a moisturizer and helps smooth your skin so you can glide foundation on it. This is one of the best pore blurring primers and makes your skin look poreless and matte. This face primer will make your skin feel as soft as a baby’s skin does all day long and even after you have removed your makeup by the end of the day. The mattifying and moisturizing effect is clearly visible and you no longer have to worry about excess oil.
- Buildable coverage
- Can be worn on a bare face for a simple smooth look, even without other makeup on.
- Lasts all-day long
- It may not work very well for dry skin.
Free of oil and talc, the NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Pore Filler Primer helps in minimizing visibility of pores, gets rid of excess shine, and prepares your complexion for a polished makeup look and application. This oil-free pore minimizing primer is a go-to primer to achieve the ultimate matte look specially for oily skin. Pores are concealed with the silky and sleek formula if you apply this primer on your face before beginning your base makeup using foundation, powders, concealers or bronzers. This pore filling primer does not change your natural complexion and is completely clear.
- NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP is PETA certified and cruelty-free.
- Infused with vitamin E for extra nourishment
- The primer also reduces the appearance of fine lines.
- It may result in a slightly cakey look.
The e.l.f Poreless Face Primer is perfect for everyday use. This cruelty free pore-minimizing primer is enriched with the goodness of tea tree and vitamins A and E and makes sure the moisture in your skin does not disappear in a few hours and stays locked in until you take your makeup off. The pores in your skin along with any imperfections in complexion disappear as soon as you apply this silky primer on cleansed skin. Take a small dollop of this drugstore pore minimizing primer and blend it evenly on your neck and face before you apply any foundation or primer.
- 100% vegan and cruelty-free
- Lasts all-day long
- 100% parabens, nonylphenol, phthalates, ethoxylates, triclocarban, triclosan, and hydroquinone-free
- The primer may have a slightly pungent smell.
The Belleza Secreto Premium Makeup Primer with Anti Aging Benefits is made using a special gel formula that helps in creating a powerful and long lasting effect on your skin and prevents your makeup from smudging. All you need is a thin coat of this primer so that your foundation glides on smoothly. This pore minimizer primer is enriched with anti-aging formula and vitamins A and E which encourage the production of new skin cells. This pore hiding primer is safe for everyday use and doesn’t clog pores or cause acne. This pore filling primer also eliminates any redness, excess oil and flakiness that does not let your makeup stay well otherwise and helps your makeup to hide pores.
- The primer is waterproof and can last up to 8 to 12 hours
- Lightweight and makes skin feel silky
- Organic and non-greasy formula
- Fragrance, paraben-free
- Reduces fine lines, imperfections, large pores, wrinkles, acne, and blotchy skin.
- It may not be suitable for application on sensitive skin and may show some side effects..
Benefit Cosmetics The POREfessional Pore Minimizing Face Primer is one of the best pore minimizer primers out there. This pore filling primer reduces the appearance of fine lines and pores so that you can enjoy softer and smoother skin. This lightweight primer can be applied alone if you want a simple day finish or mixed with your foundation to get a silky pearl-like finish. The primer also protects your skin throughout the day and has a lasting effect even after taking your makeup off.
- Oil-free formula
- Suitable for all skin tones
- Helps makeup last longer
- Infused with vitamin E to enrich skin
- It may make your make up layer look thick if you apply too much at once.
Dr. Brandt Skincare Pores No More Pore Refiner Primer is a cult favorite primer that makes your skin look photo-ready and flawless. Imperfections and pores, both are minimized by this pore hiding primer, which should ideally be used in the morning right after you moisturize your face and neck. This miracle base primer helps preserve and perfect your skin, creating a canvas on which you can apply makeup which will last all-day long. This primer can also be used for touch ups through the day and has a slight tint to it.
- Velvety formula of the primer blurs fine lines
- Sweat, humidity-resistant
- Offers a mattifying, powder-finish
- This primer may make oily skin even oilier.
The Too Faced Cosmetics Primed And Poreless erase imperfections and pores, evens your complexion and softens any fine lines so that your skin feels ready for makeup, powder, bronzer and anything else you wish to apply. You can even step out with just the primer which has a customized formula that makes skin look like it is glowing and airbrushed. The primer which is filled with cyclodextrin with cavamax retinol and Retinyl palmitate brings moisture back to your skin, and lends suppleness as well as elasticity. The result is anti-wrinkle and enhanced skin thanks to the vitamins that act as antioxidants and fight all free radicals off of your skin.
- Enriched with Camellia oil and vitamin A essence from white tea plant
- Makes skin looking bright, firm and resilient, even from up close.
- Includes actrostaphylos UVA URSI and mulberry extract so skin is lightened and feels fresh
- Long terms benefits are visible with daily use
- This primer may cause sensitive skin to break out.
The Radiant Complex Face Primer is the best pore minimizing primer when it comes to cost per use among professional makeup primers. The specially created formula of this pore-reducing primer blurs pores as well as fine lines so your skin looks even, photo-finished, glowing, and bright. This primer is vegan and cruelty-free so you can apply your makeup knowing that no furry friends were harmed in the process of creating your primer. This primer helps your makeup last longer and makes it look like it was freshly applied, even at the end of the day.
- Chemical and paraben-free
- Lasts all-day long, no touch-ups required
- Easy-to-use packaging that does not break, and fits easily into your handbag
- It may cause itching on sensitive skin.
The Smashbox Photo Finish Minimize Pores Primer helps in improving the manageability of skin to create smooth makeup looks and responsive styling. This primer is ideal for everyday use and can be worn all day long and helps your makeup in being set without feeling the need of another touch up. This pore minimizing primer mutes skin undertones that are warm and adds depth and character. Along with minimizing pores this primer also controls shine and the amount of oil on your face and does not leave the skin feeling dry in the process. Imperfections are reduced too, making this one of the best pore minimizer primers.
- Oil-free formula
- Water-proof primer, can be easily worn to beaches, swimming pools and in the rain
- Suitable for combination and oily skin and gives a fresh and matte look
- If you mix with your foundation it may make it cakey.
The Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer is a state-of-the-art silky primer that elevates your foundation and gives you perfect complexion that can last all-day long. This pore concealing primer even conceals redness, wrinkles, and fine lines giving you a canvas that is even and smooth. The result is skin that allows foundation to glide on it all thanks to the airy formula of the primer. You can step out in the sun without fearing that makeup will melt as the primer holds on to it firmly and lets you look fresh. It can be used with a powder as well as cream foundation.
- Vegan, cruelty-free
- Includes SPF 15
- Sulfates, parabens, nanoparticles, fragrance, phthalates, gluten, oil, synthetic dyes-free
- It may work better in summer months as it could leave skin very dry in winter.
The Lancome Paris La Base Pro Perfecting Makeup Primer Smoothing Effect Oil Free is a great option for oil-free pore minimizing primer and shows instant results. This oil-free primer helps create a base for makeup so that your skin looks radiant, silky and smooth, almost giving like a new polish to your face. This primer not only minimizes pores but also reduces the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines making it ideal for use by women of all ages. Once applied, the primer cools down and dries immediately and you can feel supple and soft skin come to life.
- Lasts all-day long and helps makeup stay fresh
- Free from oil, gives a matte finish
- Suitable for all skin tones
- It may cause sensitive skin to break out.
The Dermalogica Hydrablur Primer blurs pores and fine lines, brightens and hydrates to give flawless skin. This hydrating primer is lightweight and non-greasy and does wonders to minimize wrinkles and provide a matte finish. The special H2ORelease Complex helps provide hydration that is intense and doesn’t get released. Upon application a microencapsulated tint is released which provides neutral coverage which is very light in texture. You can easily wear this primer after your moisturizer or before foundation for maximum impact.
- Can be worn under makeup or without any makeup too
- Blends smoothly over the entire neck and face when followed by foundation.
- Enriched with Abbyssinian oil which provides locked in moisture
- It may cause acne on oily skin.
The tarte Poreless Mattifying Primer is what your skin needs to be free from makeup meltdown specially on hot summer days. This mattifying primer features optical matte-blur technology that filters out lines and imperfections and creates a matte canvas which is shine free. With this primer on your skin, the foundation stays on perfectly and the skin tone looks more even than before. This primer looks like an invisible gel which is silky and is ideal for combination skin, erasing pores and fine lines, making uneven texture even and getting rid of acne scars and dry patches.
- Waterproof primer and can be worn in rain and for a day by the beach.
- Long-lasting primer helps the foundation last up to 2 hours too.
- Clear primer, suitable for all skin tones.
- It may make oily skin appear a little more
[ Also Try – e.l.f. Poreless Putty Primer ]
Let us now take a look at how to choose the right pore minimizing primer.
A Buying Guide To Find The Best Pore Minimizing Primer
Making a decision about the right pore minimizing primer is hard without trying the primer, but it is not impossible. Our buying guide below will help you decide which product is the best pore reducing primer for you!
How To Choose Minimizing Primer
When trying to choose the pore minimizing primer for yourself, keep in mind the following features and elements so you are steered towards the right primer.
- Skin Type: Your skin type is the main factor that can narrow down the primer that will work best for you.
- Oily Skin: If you have oily skin, you need a mattifying pore minimizing primer. Since you are already blessed with natural oil, you need a primer that is oil free and minimizes your pores but doesn’t add any extra sheen to your face through the process.
- Dry Skin: Dry skin needs hydrating makeup primer so that it doesn’t flake your makeup within a few hours of stepping out. If you have dry skin you will know how your skin feels after a shower, and your pore minimizing primer will solve the problem of thirsty sensation that your skin exhibits.
- Sensitive Skin: We are lucky to be living in a world where makeup brands have a complete range of products for sensitive skin. Paraben free pore minimizing primers should be your go to primer if you have skin that breaks out or gets irritated too easily.
- Type And Length Of Event: When you are selecting a pore minimizing primer for your skin, be mindful of when you are going to be using it the most. If you wish to wear a face primer everyday to work, with day makeup, you need to get a primer that doesn’t feel too heavy on your skin and isn’t too thick in texture. For a night out however, you need a primer that will last through hours of dancing and bright harsh lights of clubs and restaurants.
- Weather And Climate Conditions: It may feel easy to pick a primer based on your skin type and the activities you wish to wear makeup for. However everytime weather changes your skin may possibly change too. Specially if you have combination skin, you need to have a pore minimizing primer for summer and winter. If you are not careful and continue to use the same primer for every season your skin will either be in for oil spills in the summer or dry flakes in the winter.
How To Use Pore Minimizing Primer
Here is a step wise guide on how to use a pore minimizing primer to make the most from its benefits.
- Step 1: Once you are done applying your moisturizer and eye cream, squeeze a pea size amount of pore minimizing primer onto a flat brush or on your fingertips.
- Step 2: The layer of the face primer should be light and thin, and should be quickly absorbed into the surface of your skin so it is ready for makeup application.
- Step 3: Before you start applying your foundation and face powder, be sure to blend the pore filling primer so that there is no balling of foundation that will take place.
- Step 4: Let the primer dry for a minute and then fearlessly begin your makeup routine.
Pore minimizing primers are available to suit every skin type and every weather condition leaving you with plenty of options to choose from. If the face primer is good for your skin you will start enjoying the benefits from the first application, and then there is no going back. The key is to know what suits your skin, lifestyle as well as your makeup routine. If you hit the jackpot with the best pore minimizing primer for you, it is like you have found the holy grail. Tell us in the comments below how you integrate the pore minimizing primer into your skin care routine and which is your favorite one!
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
Is pore minimizer a primer?
Not all primers are pore minimizers, but most of the time a pore minimizing product will be a primer which can also help set your foundation fairly well.
Do pore minimizing primers clog pores?
All primers do not contain comedogenic ingredients that are basically pore-clogging elements. However If you have oily skin, then you must try and be aware of what primer suits you skin type, and most of the time, the primer alone is not the only reason for clogged pores.
What is the best primer for large pores and oily skin?
The following are the best primers for large pores and oily skin:
- Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer.
- Smashbox Pore Minimizing Photo Finish Foundation Primer.
- Tarte Poreless Mattifying Primer
- Lancôme La Base Pro Pore Eraser Perfecting Makeup Primer
- Benefit Cosmetics The POREfessional Face Primer.
What can I use in place of a face primer?
If you are looking for a natural alternative to face primer you can try aloe vera gel or coconut oil. Other options also include BB or CC cream or lacto calamine lotion.
How much quantity of primer is needed for one application?
You need a pea or raisin size amount of primer to apply on your face during a single use. Too much of the primer can make your makeup feel heavy and let it melt easily.
Latest posts by Atulya Satishkumar (see all)
- 13 Best Vegan Blushes To One-Up Your Makeup Game With Buying Guide - December 3, 2020
- 9 Best Wave Hair Brushes You Definitely Need - November 3, 2020
- Beautify Your Eyes With The 11 Best tarte Eyeshadow Palettes Of 2020! - October 30, 2020
- 9 Best Anastasia Palettes That Will Look Good On Your Eyes This 2020 - October 28, 2020
- 15 Best Pink Lip Glosses You Need To Check Out Right Now - October 27, 2020