A spray tanning machine offers you a bronzed glow or tans your skin without needing you to spend any time under harmful UV rays. But visiting a salon every time you need a bronzed glow is cumbersome. This is why you need to get your hands on the best at-home spray tanning machine. It will let you get that tanned look without damaging your skin by sunlight exposure or visiting an expensive salon. It is considered safer and more economical to invest in spray tanning equipment. The advanced technology helps you achieve a uniform tanned glow. These equipment are versatile, portable, comfortable, and easy to use. The heavy-use machines are great for professional use, whereas light-use machines offer the best results at home.
Finding the perfect at-home spray tan machine can be demanding. To make your selection simpler, we have compiled a list of the 9 best at-home spray tan machines after reviewing a wide range of machines available in the market. Furthermore, the article also mentions the various types of machines, a buying guide, and tips for using the machine. Keep reading!
In This Article
9 Best At-Home Spray Tan Machines To Buy In 2023
1. Best Salon-Like Finish:MaxiMist Lite Plus HVLP Mobile Spray Tanning System With Tent
This MaxiMist spray tan machine kit has all the necessary tools required to help you achieve professional-grade results and a salon-like tanning experience at the comfort of your home. This mobile spray tan kit includes a Satin Aire spray head, three 5 oz cups, 2 lids, a 6.5 feet air hose, an extra-large pop-up tent, 3 bottles of Tampa Bay Tan Premium Solution in varying levels of darkness, and a variety of spare parts. The portable spray tan machine and all its components are compact and also excelling in quality and efficiency. The beginner-friendly spray tan machine is a lightweight yet powerful 300 W spray gun features a German-engineered spray nozzle that can be adjusted vertically or horizontally, making application easy. While the adjustable nozzle releases soft touch fine mist, the non-stick needle prevents Tanning Solution from building up and clogging. As for the tent, it is made of spring steel and nylon that features a leak-proof and stain-resistant floor.
Skin Type: All | Product Dimensions: 14 x 8 x 8 inches | Weight: 18 Pounds
- Beginner-friendly design
- Constructed with high-quality materials
- Certified by CE, EU, ECAL
- Satin technology
- Includes 2 extra cups with lids
- Provides 10 applications in a day
- Can be applied in horizontal or vertical pattern
- The tent is available in 2 colors – brown and black
- Double-stitched seams in the tent offer extra strength
- Features a high-volume, low-pressure (HVLP) system
- The unit can be used with any brand of professional solution
- The conical reservoir and wide base of the cups ensure optimal solution pickup
- Tends to leak
- It might be difficult to fold the tent back down after use.
2. Best Lightweight:Norvell Spray Tanning Machine
Popular among professional spray tan artists and technicians, Norvell Spray Tanning Machine is ideal for at-home, on-the-go, or salon use. Easy to use as it is lightweight, the M-1000 spray system utilizes HVLP technology, which means it produces the perfect spray needed for smooth and even application. Plus, professional spray tan equipment includes a shoulder strap for easy portability. This adjustable spray tan machine kit comes with three 8 oz tanning solutions – Dark for a natural tan, Venetian for a sensational Rivera tan, and Cosmo Lite that is a combination of the former 2 shades. These solutions are formulated with a blend of antioxidants and vitamins that help moisturize, smoothen, and brighten the skin. The machine delivers a gorgeous bronze sunless tan that will last almost a week and may end up becoming your favorite spray tan solution. Watch the video to know about a reviewer’s experience and how to use the Norvell Spray Tanning Machine on your own.
Skin Type: Dry
- Adjustable spray pattern with less overspray
- Includes a 110 V cord and quick-connect hose
- Solutions are formulated with micro-nutrient technology and active ingredients
- Sunless tanning solution without orange undertones
- Cosmo Lite solution features a vanilla summer fragrance
- Dark and Venetian come with odor control technology
- Does not contain harmful chemicals like parabens, sulfates, phthalates, among others
- The spray gun might get clogged with use.
3. Best Vegan:MaxiMist Allure Xena Sunless Spray Tanning System
The MaxiMist Allure Xena Sunless Spray Tanning System is equipped with three guns and a power control dial for managing the solution flow. The long flexible spray tan hose twists and locks onto the spray gun securely for optimal movement.
The noise-reduction turbines produce only a whispering sound effect, and the unique hidden handle enables easy storage. This fine mist spray tan machine features a German-engineered non-clog spray nozzle that provides minimal overspray.
The non-stick Teflon needle eliminates tanning solution buildup and corrosion, which can lead to clogging. This sunless turbine spray tanning system comes with the Tampa Bay Tan Sunless Spray tanning products that are cruelty-free, vegan, and do not contain gluten and parabens. Say goodbye to noisy machines and hello to a peaceful tanning session!
Skin Type: All | Product Dimensions: 8 x 8 x 8 inches | Weight: 6 Pounds
- Certified by EU, CE, ECAL
- Compact design
- Sturdy flex hose
- Easy flow adjustment
- Soundless operation
- Easy to use and store
- 2-year warranty
- Not durable
MaxiMist Lite Plus HVLP Mobile Spray Tanning System With Tent
Norvell Spray Tanning Machine
MaxiMist Allure Xena Sunless Spray Tanning System
4. Best Professional-Grade:Norvell Oasis Airbrush Spray
Whether you are a beginner or a professional, the Norvell Cosmo Airbrush Spray is ‘the one’ to start a self-tanning routine. It only tans the uppermost layer of the skin. This beginner spray kit comes with one Oasis spray tanning machine and one Norvell Cosmo tanning solution. The lightweight machine has full-size power integrated with a mini turbine to provide an excellent tanning appearance at home with the utmost flexibility. This salon-quality spray tan machine offers professional-grade, flawless whole-body coverage with the FlexiMyst spray head; the micro nozzle can adjust the spray patterns in horizontal, round, and vertical flow. Flaunt an amazing airbrush tan with this spray machine!
Skin Type: Dry
- Streak-free finish
- Maximum coverage
- Fleximyst spray head
- Push button power
- Not for caucasian skin color
5. Best Stylish:Aura Allure Spray Tan Machine Kit
Whether you are a professional airbrush tanning artist or a newbie in this field, you ought to have this self-spray tan machine. This super stylish sprayer is known for its fine atomization, which helps deliver smooth and perfect coverage with minimal overspray. It features a robust yet lightweight turbine and can give you over 25 applications in a day. Plus, there is a solution dial that allows you to control the flow of the liquid between 0 to 2 fl oz to avoid spraying excess solution. This ideal spray machine comes with an 11.5 ft long, flexible hose that enhances maneuverability for a perfect airbrush tan. This reviewer’s experience video will help you to understand the unique features of the Aura Allure Spray Tanning Machine Kit.
Also Recommended By: Those Graces has also listed Maximise Evolution TNT Spray Tanning Complete Kit in their top 10.The 5 Best Spray Tan Machines For Home Use (March 2023 Update – Those Graces https://thosegraces.com/best-at-home-spray-tan-machine/
Skin Type: All
- Low noise
- Satin spray nozzle technology
- Allows 25 applications per day
- Includes cable management system
- Delivers fine and precise flow
- Features retractable handles for easy carrying and storage
- Extra-large tent with carrying bag
- The personal spray gun features a twist and lock design
- Comes with three 8 oz bottles of Norvell airbrush tanning solutions
- Affordable spray tan machine kit
- The tent might be huge and bulky.
6. Best Streak-Free:Belloccio Turbo Tan Ultra Pro T85-QC Turbine Tanning Machine
Using a spray tan at home all by yourself can be quite tricky, and that is why you need to be equipped with the right tools to get professional-grade results. This lightweight spray tan machine is easy to use and will leave behind a streak-free, natural-looking tan. All you have to do is connect one end of the 10 feet long air hose to the turbine air pump unit and the other end to the plastic HVLP spray gun. Then fill the bottle with your preferred tanning solution, connect that to the spray gun, and get ready to spray. The airbrush tanning kit includes 4 varieties of tanning solutions — 3 (8%, 10%, and 12%) DHA solutions and 1 Opulence Tanning Solution so that you can choose a product based on your skin tone. In addition to that, this sunless tanning spray machine also comes with a tanning accessories kit that features everything from feet caps to nose filter plugs.
Skin Type: All | Item Weight: 38 Pounds
- 2-year warranty on the machine
- Durable and flexible air hose
- Lightweight spray gun
- 4 varieties of tanning solutions
- Includes a tanning tent booth for mess-free applications
- Vitamin and antioxidant-rich formula
- Might result in a heavy spray
- May be inconsistent
7. Best Travel-Friendly:Fuji Spray Mini Tan M Model System
Want to take your airbrush tanning machine with you wherever you travel? Then this Fuji Spray Mini Tan M Model System is the perfect choice for you. It is lightweight, compact, and travel-friendly. But don’t be fooled by its size; it is as powerful as any other standard airbrush spray tan machine and can give professional-grade results. The mini spray tan system features a turbine motor that keeps noise to a bare minimum and comes with safeguards to ensure smooth operation and reduce heat build-up. Plus, the machine complies with electrical and safety standards, making it safe to use. All the metal components, including the spray applicator, are made of premium-grade stainless steel. With this easy-to-clean spray tan machine, you can customize the spraying technique according to your needs, thanks to the adjustable fluid control and spray pattern knob. Now, getting a spray-on tan at home will be a cakewalk!
Skin Type: All | Product Dimensions: 16.54 x 13.98 x 15.16 inches | Item Weight: 19.76 pounds
- Compact and portable
- Lightweight design
- Quiet and smooth operation
- Clog-resistant and easy-to-clean components
- Includes a bottle and a hose
- Replaceable and washable air filters
- Controls the flow of tanning solution
- Bleed valve-style applicator spray gun ensures continuous airflow
- The heat dissipation box keeps the motor cooler and running for longer.
- Slightly expensive
- The slightly large nozzle size might cause over spray.
8. Best For Even-Coverage:Existing Beauty Bronze Tan Professional Spray Tan Machine
Whether you want a personal spray tan machine to do small touch ups or full-body tanning sessions, this equipment caters to all your needs. Hailed as one of the best professional spray tan machines, this device is convenient to use and lends an even and smooth sunless tan with as little hassle as possible. This even-coverage spray tan machine comes with a spray tan gun, a hose, and a solution-holding bottle for precise control to get the perfect bronze tan and professional-grade results. It also includes a self-tanning program guide that provides you with step-by-step instructions, making assembling the machine easy and is a popular product amongst professional spray tan artists and technicians.
Skin Type: All
- Streak-free finish
- Delivers even coverage
- Easy to set up
- Ergonomic handle
- Easy to maneuver
- Cleaning up the machine is a breeze
- Compact enough for convenient storage
- Does not include tanning solution
9. Best Ergonomic Design:MaxiMist Evolution Pro HVLP Spray Tanning System
Getting a fake tan right at home can’t get any easier than this! Another masterpiece by MaxiMist, this HVLP spray tan machine, will give you about 25 spray sessions a day, and each full-body tan session won’t take more than 5 minutes. It features a sleek black surface, 2-stage variable turbine motor, and a removable and reusable filter. It comes with a lightweight aluminum pro spray gun, 11.5 feet long hose, a tent booth, 3 bottles of tanning solutions, and fluid-holder bottles. Thanks to the unique ‘EZ connect’ feature (a quick connection adapter) of the hose, it stays connected once the spray gun is attached to it for easy and consistent tanning. So no more worries about the hose blowing out or disconnecting from the spray gun. Unlike the standard check valves, this ergonomic design spray tan machine features a Duck Bill valve that controls the solution backflow and minimizes clogging to help you achieve an even bronze tan. And when you need to do touch-ups or contouring, use the ‘Airbrush’ mode by merely adjusting the EZ flip knob.
Product Dimensions: 14 x 6 x 9 inches | Weight: 14 Pounds
- Quiet operation
- Suitable for long-term use
- Works with any brand solution
- Simple gun adjustment delivers horizontal and vertical spray patterns
- Corrosion-resistant Aircraft-grade aluminum spray gun
- Cool grip ergonomic spray handle
- Spray flow can be adjusted
- Includes an extra-large, leak-proof tanning booth with carrying bag
- Comes with 3 bottles of Tampa Bay Aussie Bronze solutions in different depth levels
- Slightly expensive
In the next section, we will look at a few essential points to help you learn a little more about spray tan machines.
Different Types of Spray Tan Machines
There are various types of spray tan machines in the market today. The type of machine you buy has to match your needs. If you invest in just a basic spray it might not give you the results you desire. So let’s take a look at choices, shall we?
1. HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) Spray Tan Systems
High volume spray tan machines are the most popular and are commonly used in salons and for mobile spray tanning businesses. But they make for excellent spray tan systems for home. These machines are easy to use and are known for their high speed and efficiency, which means they provide even and precise applications. They can help an individual achieve a sunless tan in less than 5 minutes. They feature a high-performance motor and generally have a wattage of 400 W and above.
2. LVLP (Low Volume Low Pressure) Spray Tan Systems
Like HVLP systems, LVLP spray tan machines are turbine-driven and require an ultimate spray gun to spray the solutions. However, these low volume spray machines operate at low pressure, which means you need to have a lot of precision while using it. Plus, when using these machines, the quality of spray tan may vary depending on the user’s skill level. Compared to HVLP machines, LVLPs take more time per application, make a lot of noise, and are slightly on the expensive side.
Commonly found in professional salons, these machines work at high pressure and deliver more solutions in less time. But take much longer per application, at least 30 minutes, compared to HVLP and LVLP machines. The spray guns tend to overspray, in turn, wasting a lot of tanning solutions.
4. Automatic Spray Tanning Booths
This is an enclosed booth, where a person is supposed to enter and stand. It works well for full-body tanning since the booth features nozzles on all sides that spray tan solution in the form of mist. Although a session might take only a minute or 2, you might not get an even tanning.
What Are The Benefits Of A Spray Tan Machine
- Beginner-friendly and easy to use
- It gives you faster results.
- Provides precise and even coverage.
- Sunless tan lasts longer
- Minimal or no overspray
- Allows you to customize your unique shade for a perfect bronze tan
- No hassle of visiting a salon
- It helps you achieve a perfect tan without using a tanning bed or exposing your skin to harmful UV rays (known to cause serious skin damage such as premature wrinkling or even skin cancer).
How To Choose The Best Spray Tan Machine
- Materials: Look for spray tanning machines that are made of sturdy and durable materials, so that it will last for a long time.
- Spray Gun: One of the essential components of a spray tanning kit is the spray gun because that is the part that delivers the solution. You need to make sure that the cup that comes with the gun has the capacity to hold 2 ounces of spray tanning solution. It is said that 2 ounces are all it takes to cover the entire body, even the body parts that barely get tanned otherwise. However, remember not to choose a cup size that’s larger than 2 ounces because then you will waste more solutions.
- Pressure system: HVLP is the most commonly used spray tanning system used in most at-home spray tanning machines because they are more efficient, lighter, quieter, and do not waste much product. In comparison, the airbrush gun machine and LVLP are louder and slower. What type you choose depends on your personal preference.
- Versatility: Whether you’re a professional or beginner, choosing a machine that is versatile in its operation can be quite beneficial. For instance, opt for a spray tan machine with multiple speed settings or that has adjustable spray nozzles as this will allow you to control the flow of the solution and speed of the airflow to achieve your desired effect. In addition to that, see whether the machine has a heat option, which will make your tanning experience more comfortable.
- Cleaning: Many people hesitate to use tanning machines because of the mess that it can leave behind. Most machines on our list provide excellent tan while also ensuring minimal cleanup. However, we suggest you pick one that has less or no over spray. Plus, you need to ensure that the cups do not leak. Also, since most spray tanning kits come with a tent booth, which is leak-proof and stain-resistant, rest assured cleaning up will be easy.
- Portability:If you are someone who likes to carry your spray gun with you when traveling, you could go for a compact and lightweight machine, something that weighs less than 20 pounds (spray gun and the spray tan hose included).
- Comfort: If you are a beginner, always choose a light and small machine as it will be comfortable to hold and maneuver. Also, make sure the spray gun handle is ergonomically designed to provide a good grip to reduce hand cramps.
- Accessories: It’s best to purchase a kit that includes everything needed to achieve a flawless tan without any hassle. Most kits come with spray tanning solutions in varied intensities to suit every skin tone, disposable footpads and nose plugs for protection, and a spray tent to maintain cleanliness.
In addition to these, select the ones with a good number of positive reviews or the ones that have a positive reviewer’s experience.
Tips For Using Your Spray Tan The Right Way
- Prep your skin: Make sure to wax or shave at least one day before applying a spray tan so that the pores in your skin don’t absorb the solution and create a dotted appearance. Also, perform a patch test on a small area to avoid any allergic reactions.
- Exfoliate: Exfoliate your skin using an oil-free formula one day before the application. This will create a smooth surface for the tan to adhere to and create an even tan sans splotches.
- Avoid deodorant: When you’re applying spray tan, it’s best that you not use deodorant. Certain chemicals in the deodorant can react with the spray tan and create a green shade on your underarms.
- Protect your palm and hair: If you don’t want to get any of the tanning solutions on your palm, you could apply a barrier cream or use baking soda. Ensure to completely cover your hair using a shower cap and apply a little moisturizer on your brows.
- Start from the bottom: Always start the tanning process from your feet and gradually work your way up. The spray gun has to be held 2 to 6 inches from your body, depending on the machine.
- After application: Once the tan has dried, wear dark loose clothing to avoid the product rubbing off on any surface. Plus, you need to wait for around 6 to 8 hours for the color to develop, which means you can’t shower until then.
- Ventilation: When using a spray tanning machine, always spray in a well-ventilated area. The tan solutions contain DHA, which is said to be safe for the skin, but you may have to be careful when it comes to inhaling the spray as it is said to cause side effects such as coughing and dizziness.
Infographic: Before & After Care Of Using Spray Tan Machine At Home
The use of fake tan has made it simpler to get that sun-kissed, post-vacation tan. But visiting a salon whenever you want a tan may not agree with your wallet. This is where a home spray tanning machine comes in handy. Check out this infographic for tips on caring for your skin before and after safely applying a spray tan at home.
We love sporting the glorious sun-kissed tans during the summers but it is not always possible to visit the salon. Investing in a spray tan machine that you can use at the convenience of your home and at your own time is a great choice. The MaxiMist Lite Plus HVLP Mobile Spray Tanning System With Tent is ideal for beginners and suitable for all skin types, whereas the Norvell Oasis Airbrush Spray works best to tan and nourish dry skin. There’s the Fuji Spray Mini Tan M Model System which also suits all skin types and works without much noise. These safe and effective devices are easy to operate and get the perfect tan at home. You no longer have to roast yourself out in the sun or lie on a tanning bed for hours. These are lightweight machines and make less noise and are portable. Enjoy a sun-free spray tan at home!
Why Trust StyleCraze?
The author of this article, Srijani Roy Chowdhury, is passionate about keeping up with the latest advancement in makeup products and technology. She feels that a home spray tanning machine can give you a flawless tanned look without risking the harmful rays of the sun. she went through several user reviews online and selected the highest quality and top-rated home spray tanning machines for you. This specially curated list boasts of tanning machines that are easy to use, portable, and comfortable without burning a hole in your pocket.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does a spray tan last?
A single application of spray tan can last for upto 10 days, but it may vary from one long-lasting spray tan machine to another. Plus, the darker the tan, the longer it will last.
Are spray tans safe?
Yes, spray tans are safe to use as long as you use it as directed. All tanning solutions contain DHA, which is FDA-approved and ideal for external applications. DHA or dihydroxyacetone is a chemical that reacts with dead cells on the skin, leading to the skin’s darkening, aka a tan.
How long should I wait to shower afterward?
After application, you should wait for at least 8 hours before taking a shower.
Is there anything I can do to try to extend the life of my spray tan?
You could use a self-tanning system as a topper to prevent your tan from fading and extend the lifespan of your tan by a few days.
Will the spray tan get darker with time?
Although this depends on what time of the day you got the spray tan done, there is a high probability the tan might get deeper as time goes.
Does spray tan or airbrush look natural?
Airbrush tanning or at-home spray tanning delivers a seamless, natural finish for a luxury salon professional look, whereas spray tanning done in a booth might provide a tan with orange undertones.
What should I do if the spray tan looks too dark?
Apply baby oil or coconut oil, let sit for 10 minutes, and then head for a shower and exfoliate.
What should I avoid wearing after my tanning?
Do not wear tight clothing, socks, or shoes to ensure the airbrush tan develops well.
- Best Indoor Tanning Lotions For All Skin Types
- Best Organic Self Tanners
- Best Drugstore Self-Tanners
- Best Tanning Oils You Must Try