Tired of flat, flat hair that never gives you that oomph you’re looking for? Well, it’s time to add the best mousse for fine hair to your hair care essentials and watch your hair transform. Not only are they easy to apply, but hair mouse also helps add texture, shine, and much-needed volume to hair. Check our top favorites below and pick the perfect one!
In This Article
11 Best Mousses For Thin Hair In 2022 That Give Your Hair A Volume Boost
1. Best For Curly Hair: Design Essentials Natural Curl Enhancing Mousse
The Design Essentials Natural Curl Enhancing Mousse is a lightweight foam that defines curls, separates each hair strand, and tames frizziness. This medium-hold formula is infused with natural ingredients that penetrate the hair cuticles for stronger, healthier-looking hair.
Styling with this mousse gives you a soft, pliable hold. It also leaves a luminous shine on your hair. The mousse adds texture without leaving any sticky residue. It quickly dries when applied on damp hair. It does not flake or crunch. The mousse is free from parabens, paraffin, and other harsh chemicals.
- Avocado Oil: It is rich in biotin and vitamin B complex that make hair smooth, shiny, and provide intense moisture. The minerals in the avocado extract seal the hair cuticles and prevent hair breakage.
- Almond Oil: It is rich in omega-3 fatty acids that seal moisture into the hair shaft, nourish each hair strand, and leave a luminous shine. Its strategically infused wheat protein is a boon to fine hair.
- Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein: It improves the tensile properties of hair fibers, keeps the hair elastic, and adds strength. It also prevents hair breakage.
- The olive oil and B vitamins provide a natural shine.
Hair Type: 2A-4C type curls
- No mineral oil
- No alcohol
- 100% natural ingredients
- Separates each curl
- Dries quickly
- Leaves no sticky residue
- Provides soft, pliable hold
- Contains silicone
- Leaves hair greasy
- Feels heavy on the hair
2. Best Lightweight Formula: Moroccanoil Volumising Mousse
The Moroccanoil Volumising Mousse is a lightweight formula that creates exceptional volume. It leaves no flakes or grease in the hair. This long-lasting mousse offers flexible hold and makes your hair look sleek and shiny. The anti-static ingredients in this mousse also tame frizz. It adds oodles of volume to fine, straight hair. Check out this YouTuber’s review of the product if you require more details!
- Argan Oil: It conditions hair from the roots. It leaves hair feeling soft and smooth. The essential fatty acids protect the moisture barrier. It restores hair elasticity, tames frizz, and treats dry and damaged hair.
Hair Type: Fine to medium hair
- Flexible hold
- Defective nozzles
3. Best Long-Lasting: Aussie Headstrong Volume Mousse
If you want to add volume to your limp hair and achieve a long-lasting hold, the Aussie Headstrong Volume Mousse is your right pick. It is infused with bamboo and Australian Kakadu plum that boost hair health from the roots for 24 whole hours. Applying this mousse will give your effortlessly flawless hair. If you need more convincing, feel free to take a look at this YouTuber’s video on the merits and demerits of this product.
- Bamboo Extract: This is a powerful plant extract that retains hair moisture. It also strengthens and softens the hair locks. It improves blood circulation to the scalp, promotes hair growth, and gives a new lease of life to thin, limp hair.
- Australian Kakadu Plum: It helps boost collagen and elastin production and enhances hair moisture and shine. The antioxidants in Kakadu plum protect the hair from oxidative damage and chemical toxins.
Hair Type: Fine curly hair
- Lightweight foam
- Provides maximum hold
- Long-lasting effect
- Adds shine to hair
- Leaves flakes in the hair
- Leaves a greasy feel
4. Best Vegan: Paul Mitchell Extra-Body Sculpting Foam
The Paul Mitchell’s voluminous mousse with extra-body sculpting foam provides fullness and controls frizz. The thickening formula with natural ingredients amplifies shine and seals moisture, making hair more manageable. The rich emollients drench the thirsty strands and wrap them with moisture with every use. The energizing and calming notes of lemon, neroli, chamomile, peony, and rose uplift your mood.
- White Ginger Root Extract: It deeply cleanses the hair follicles and promotes hair growth.
Hair Type: Fine hair
- 100% vegan
- Super-emollient ingredients
- Seals moisture
- Refreshing aroma
- Defective nozzles
- Not suitable for baby-fine hair
- Sticky consistency
5. Best In Budget: John Frieda Luxurious Volume Perfectly Full Mousse
The John Frieda Mousse is an ultra-nourishing cream that adds volume in all the three dimensions viz. fullness, thickness, and lift. It leaves your hair feeling touchably soft. The antioxidant-rich natural formula with polymer technology protects each hair strand from oxidative damage. It also helps thicken individual hair strands. Check out this YouTuber’s video on the benefits of using this product.
- Caffeine: It is a potent DHT blocker that helps stimulate hair growth and prevent hair loss. It stimulates hair shaft elongation and strengthens hair roots, resulting in longer, fuller hair. It adds life to dull, limp, and dehydrated hair.
Hair Type: Color-treated damaged fine hair
- Lightweight foam
- Protects hair strands
- Lifts hair from the roots
- Safe for color-treated damaged hair
- Leaves residue
6. Best Organic Formula: Giovanni Air-Turbo Charged Hair Styling Natural Mousse
The Giovanni Air-Turbo Charged Hair Styling Natural Mousse helps in easy styling. The texturizing, volumizing, and bodifying natural ingredients penetrate the hair shaft and promote hair health. This styling foam blends easily with the hair strands and adds texture and shine without stripping off moisture.
- Aloe Vera Leaf Juice: It strips off extra sebum from the roots and helps in deep cleansing. The vitamins A, C, and E in the aloe leaf extract improve cell turnover and protect each strand from oxidative damage. It helps increase blood circulation in the scalp, promotes hair growth, and strengthens the hair follicles.
- Soybean Seed Extract: The amino acids in the soybean extract promote elastin and collagen synthesis to repair and strengthen the structure of hair strands.
- Vitamin E: The antioxidant properties of vitamin E protect the locks from environmental and chemical toxins.
Hair Type: Dry, thin hair
- 100% vegan formula
- Perfect for damaged, color-treated hair
- Lavender aroma
- Distributes easily for smooth styling
- Adds shine and luster
- Hydrates tresses
- Sticky consistency
- Defective pump
7. Best For Heat Protection: Tresemmé Thermal Creations Volumizing Mousse
The Tresemmé Thermal Creations Volumizing Mousse allows salon-quality hairstyling in an affordable range. It adds texture, volume, and luster to thin locks. The super-hold mousse is formulated with a moisture-locking vitamin complex that resists humidity and protects hair from free radical damage.
- Panthenol: It is a highly effective humectant that deeply moisturizes dry hair. It adds shine and strength to chemically damaged locks.
- Vitamin E: A potent antioxidant providing a protective shield against oxidative damage.
- Keratin: Hydrolyzed keratin is an amino acid that helps smoothen the hair strands for a glossy, shiny look. It also helps strengthen the hair roots, tames frizz, and stimulates hair growth.
- Biotin: It helps strengthen hair roots and promotes hair growth. It helps restructure the keratin and adds life to thin, sparse hair.
- Nicotinamide: It enhances the appearance and feel of hair. This vitamin improves blood circulation in the scalp and promotes hair growth.
Hair Type: Chemically treated thin, fine hair
- Seals moisture
- Leaves hair feeling soft
- Strengthens hair roots
- Promotes hair growth
- Adds shine
- Sticky consistency
8. Best For Colored Hair: Pureology Clean Volume Weightless Mousse
The Pureology Clean Volume Mousse is a weightless formula that protects hair color, and adds volume and luster to super-fine hair strands. Apply this lightweight mousse to damp hair, starting from the root to the end. Blow-dry it for adding fullness. The aromatherapy blend of elixir essential oils (bergamot, citrus, cedarwood) provides deep nourishment and leaves a weightless shiny finish.
- Sunflower Seed Oil: It is high in fatty acids, antioxidants, and vitamin E that deeply nourishes and soothes a dry scalp. It seals the moisture and offers protection against free radical damage.
- Hydrolyzed Vegetable (Soy) Protein: It penetrates the hair strands and binds water molecules to restore moisture. It also tames frizz, reduces hair loss, and prevents hair breakage.
Hair Type: Chemically treated fine strands
- 100% vegan
- Provides shine
- Strengthens root to tip
- Aroma could be overpowering
9. Best For Frizz Control: Joico JoiWhip Firm-Hold Designing Foam
The Joico JoiWhip Firm-Hold Designing Foam adds extraordinary volume, shine, and texture to fine, chemically-damaged hair. It deeply conditions the hair strands and protects it from environmental toxins. Its bond-strengthening power delivers long-lasting style with deep moisturization.
- Kukui Nut Oil: It is rich in 29% oleic acid and 42% linoleic acid that act as a protective shield and seal moisture. It strengthens hair strands from the roots and promotes hair growth. It provides deep cleansing and reduces premature hair loss.
- Evening Primrose Oil: It nourishes hair from the roots.
- Bio-Advanced Peptide Complex: It makes hair dramatically stronger and healthier. It mimics the function of the keratin complex. It prevents future hair damage by acting as a protective shield and sealing moisture.
Hair Type: All types of thin hair
- Strengthens the roots
- Prevents premature hair breakage
- Protects from environmental damage
- Heavy consistency
- Unpleasant smell
10. Best For Detangling: Thermafuse Fixxé Extreme Volume Mousse
The Thermafuse Fixxé Extreme Volume Mousse adds instant shine and body to thin, limp hair. The natural botanical formula includes protein and vitamins that protect each strand from the damaging effects of free radicals, UV rays, and chemicals. It provides a long-lasting hold with incredible shine. The blackberry vanilla notes blended with green mandarin and apple add a fresh feeling to your locks. Spray this lightweight mousse to damp hair and style it without weighing it down.
- Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein: It enhances volume and provides deep conditioning without any build-up.
- Keratin Protein: It strengthens the hair roots and leaves hair feeling soft, smooth, and shiny.
- Polyquaternium-11: It forms a clear, non-tacky, and continuous film that seals luster.
- Panthenol: It is an effective humectant that promotes moisture retention.
Hair Type: All types of fine hair
- 100% vegan
- Long-lasting hold
- Detangles hair strands
- Protects hair from damage
- Seals moisture
- Soothing fragrance
11. Best For Humidity Protection: Nexxus Mousse+ Volumizing Foam
Create volume and long-lasting body with the Nexxus Mousse+ Volumizing Foam. This salon-grade creamy mousse sculps and protects hair strands from chemical and environmental aggressors. The aerated hair foam lifts fine hair from the roots while retaining their natural movement.
- Keratin protein: This is a natural hair conditioning agent that improves the gloss, sheen, and texture of thin hair.
- Ceramides: These are a type of lipids that protect the outermost layer of the hair strands and strengthen the roots. They also promote hair elasticity and retain hair moisture.
Hair Type: Thin hair
- Protects hair strands
- Protects hair from humidity
These are the 11 best mousses for fine hair that add texture, fullness, and volume. We will further discuss a hair mousse in the following section.
What Is A Hair Mousse?
A hair mousse or styling foam is an aerosol foam spray that adds volume to the hair. It conditions hair deeply and leaves no residue on the scalp. Using a mousse alone can get you fuller, thicker hair. It also adds life to the thin strands.
How does applying a mousse to your thin hair help? The next section discusses the same.
Why Use A Hair Mousse For Thin Hair?
Thin hair often looks dull and frizzy. Applying mousse to thin hair boosts the volume from the roots, sculpts your strands, and gives long-lasting volume. It also helps fight humidity and encourages hair shine and definition. The nourishing ingredients stimulate hair growth and also allow versatility in styling.
Before you buy a hair mousse for your thin hair, you may want to go through the following buying guide.
Hair Mousses For Fine Hair – A Buying Guide
- Ingredients: The hair mousse should contain natural ingredients that seal in moisture, add luster, restore elasticity, and provide protection. Argan oil, keratin complex, sunflower seed oil, aloe vera extract, and biotin are known to nourish and rejuvenate hair.
- Hold: Another major function of a hair mousse is to hold the volume for long periods. Polymer complex and resins in the mousse coat each hair strand, add body from the roots, and offer long-lasting hold.
- Protection: A mousse rich in antioxidants protects the strands from environmental damage.
If you have thin hair, then one of the effective solutions to boost hair volume is to use the best mousses for fine hair. These hair mousses will transform the overall texture and restore the shine of your hair. They will also offer a long-lasting hold to your desired hairstyles. They are enriched with natural ingredients and do not leave any sticky residue on application. While choosing the best hair mousse for fine hair, read the ingredients list, and ensure that the mousse offers long-lasting hold and protection.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
Oyendrila Kanjilal is a certified skin care coach and passionate about hair care and styling. She is aware of the difficulties associated with thin hair and has listed the ideal product recommendations for her readers. After thorough research and reading various internet reviews, she developed a list of the finest mousse for fine or thin hair that could effectively add volume. These products are chemical-free, non-greasy, and do not leave any sticky residue.
Frequently Asked Questions
Mousse Vs. Gel – which is better for fine hair?
Mousse is better than gel for thin hair. Mousse is an airy foam that lifts hair from the roots whereas gel may weigh down hair even further.
How do you use mousse on fine hair?
Damp each hair strand and apply the mousse gently from the root to the tip. Wash or rinse with normal water to add volume. If you need to add extra body, blow dry your hair for versatile styling.
How often should fine, thin hair be washed?
Fine, thin hair can be washed 2-3 times a week.
Do I apply mousse to wet or dry hair?
It is recommended to apply mousse after towel drying your hair. However, do not completely dry your strands and keep them semi-wet while using the product. Hair mousse can help get rid of the dull appearance and mattify your tresses.
Can I brush my hair with mousse in it?
Yes, brushing your hair with mousse can create wonderful textures on your tresses. This can also help define your waves and curls without using heated styling tools.
Can I put on a heat protectant before or after using a mousse?
Yes, you can apply a heat protectant five minutes before putting on a mousse. While heat protectants ensure that your hair remains damage-free, mousses offer the perfect definition to your strands and provide heat defense.
- 12 Best Alcohol-Free Mousses
- 15 Best Mousses For Curly Hair To Buy Online In 2022
- 3 Simple Ways To Scrunch Your Hair
- 20 Best Hair Care Products For Natural Kinky Curly Hair
- 15 Best Hair Mousses Of 2022 – Reviews And Buyer’s Guide