Seeking solace in a bathtub after a long day is something we all look forward to, and that takes more than just warm water and a few scented candles. To ensure you attend to your weary bones and muscles while nurturing your skin, you might have to get a nourishing shower oil for your bath. There is something about using the best shower oils that makes bathing the most relaxing part of your day. The skin-friendly portion washes away all your skin problems while keeping you feeling soft and smelling great. Here are the 11 shower oils to make your bathing experience rejuvenating and relaxing.
In This Article
What Does A Shower Oil Do?
As the name suggests, shower oils can be an alternative to regular body washes and cleansers. Most of them are formulated for skin types that are dry, sensitive, and prone to conditions like eczema, psoriasis, and atopic dermatitis. They are quite gentle and don’t contain harsh cleansers like conventional soaps. Moisturizing ingredients and oils abound in these cleansers also amply hydrate the skin and prevent moisture loss. Infused with essential oils, you can also avail aromatherapeutic benefits from shower oils that can calm a racing mind and help with disturbed sleep patterns or insomnia. Quite versatile, you can use them as shaving gels or creams and even on your face.
11 Best Shower Oils To Keep Your Skin Cleansed And Supple
1. Best For Dry Skin: Bioderma Atoderm Ultra-Nourishing Cleansing Oil For Dry Skin
Bioderma’s shower oil wash has a silky texture that cleanses skin and provides 24-hour hydration. Ingredients such as bio lipids of coconut and sunflower esters soothe skin irritations, remove tightness, and strengthen it. Vitamin PP is also present and makes your skin’s barrier tough against damage. To relieve and prevent discomfort, the patented technologies of Skin Barrier Therapy come into action while the DAF increases your skin’s tolerance levels. Bioderma’s cleansing shower oil is ideal body hydration for anyone who struggles with dry and sensitive skin. If you need further convincing, check out this YouTuber’s review.
- Gentle formula
- Soothing on dry and sensitive skin
- Locks in hydration
- Removes feeling of tightness
- Free of soap, alcohol, parabens, and preservatives
- Some may find the scent to be odd
2. Best Smelling Formula: L’OCCITANE Almond Shower Oil
This L’OCCITANE shower oil is a crowd-favorite owing to its gentle nature and all-day nourishment benefit. Powered by almonds that contain healthy fats, this oil turns into a luxurious foam that leaves you with super-soft skin. As it cleanses, it is also a moisturizer for skin that strengthens the barrier. The delicate perfume of fresh almonds is a treat and will definitely alleviate the stress of a long and tiring day! You can check this video out if you need to know more about the product.
- Gentle formula
- Moisturizes skin
- Pleasant fragrance
- Can also be used as a shaving gel
- Rich foam
- Makes skin soft
- Some may find it slightly sticky
3. Best Lightweight Formula: Keri Lotion Shower & Bath Moisture Rich Oil
Keri’s shower body oil is an emollient-rich formula that softens and smoothes along with skin cleansing. Its lightweight texture is ideal for when you want to pamper your body with a replenishing oil that also seals in much-needed moisture. With a delicate and airy scent, you are in for a relaxing bath experience. You can also use it for harsh winters to keep dry or extra-dry skin from drying out further and leaving it refreshed after your shower.
- Moisture-rich formula
- Locks in moisture
- Makes skin soft and smooth
- Delicate scent
- Might not be ideal for sensitive skin
4. Best Cruelty-Free: Kopari Beauty Vitamin C Sudsy Shower Oil
Kopari’s 2-in-1 shower cleansing oil doesn’t contain any stripping sulfates and leaves your skin clean yet amply hydrated. Enriched with hibiscus seed oil and organic coconut oil, both of which are rich in vitamin E, you can expect a rise in moisture and protection levels in your skin. Passionfruit seed oil high in vitamin C offers antioxidant protection and brightens skin while plant-based glycerin retains moisture. Its oil-to-milky formula lathers up with bubbles for a fun and effective cleanse. Allowing long-lasting hydration, the cruelty-free shower oil formula leaves your skin feeling satiny soft with a sweet coconut milk fragranced experience.
- Cruelty-free and vegan
- Free of parabens, sulfates, and phthalates
5. Best For Eczema-Prone Skin: Nivea Pampering Shower Oil
This Nivea shower oil is infused with 55% natural oils that make your skin soft and supple. It emanates a warm scent that is truly a treat for all the senses. With a thick consistency, a luxurious foam is formed that gives you a clean feeling without stripping away any essential moisture. Normal-to-dry skin types or eczema-prone skin can benefit from this moisturizing formula that cares for your skin’s health. To find out more about this product, check this video review out.
- Infused with 55% natural oils
- Moisturizing formula
- Ideal for normal-to-dry skin
- Some may not like the thick consistency
6. Best Fragrance-Free: Cetaphil In-Shower Moisturizing Oil
Cetaphil’s in-shower body oil seals in moisture in normal, dry, and sensitive skin types. A highly-effective cleanser, you will find 5 moisturizers along with vitamin E and pro-vitamin B5 that keep parched skin hydrated for up to 24 hours. Recommended by dermatologists, this in-shower oil will keep your skin conditioned as it lathers up with a creamy consistency. Free of parabens and fragrance, you will be doing your skin a favor with Cetaphil’s formula.
- Ideal for dry and sensitive skin
- Hydrates for up to 24 hours
- Contains 5 moisturizers
- Cleanses effectively
- Some might not like the runny consistency
7. Best Dermatologist-Recommended: Aveeno Skin Relief Shower & Bath Oil
The Aveeno bath and shower oil is a must-have for those who want to soothe itchy and dry skin. Combining moisture-retaining benefits of mineral oil with oatmeal that calms the skin, this Aveeno shower oil leaves your skin soft to the touch. Natural oatmeal maintains and restores your skin’s barrier while preventing and protecting dry skin. Locking in all the moisture, this formula makes for a delightful bath experience.
- Soothes dry and itchy skin
- Retains moisture
- Maintains and restores skin barrier
- Protects and prevents dry skin
- May leave residue
8. Best Sulfate-Free Formula: Aromatherapy Associates Deep Relax Bath & Shower Oil
Aromatherapy Associates’ bath and shower oil is an award-winning formula that will help you reclaim your beauty sleep. It calms and relieves your body and mind of stress and fatigue from the day with a blend of soothing oils. The relaxing scents of chamomile, vetiver, and sandalwood are sublime and help slow a racing mind to prepare you for restorative and undisturbed sleep. Coconut oil is also present for the ultimate moisturization and with this luxurious aromatherapeutic potion, you’ll be drifting off into a peaceful slumber in no time!
- Free of parabens and sulfates
- Free of talc and mineral oil
- Free of phthalates and silicones
- Doesn’t contain artificial fragrance or color
- Formulated without any petrochemicals
- Aromatherapeutic benefits
9. Best Non-Drying Formula: Victoria’s Secret Heavenly Silk Shower Oil
Victoria’s Secret offers a moisturizing shower oil that is an oil-to-cream formula. It is infused with safflower that cleanses the skin without making it feel tight and releases a heavenly scent of vanilla, musk, peony, and sandalwood. Adding this foaming shower oil to your self-care regimen will provide you with a refreshing experience. The next time you’re in need of a pick-me-up, soak in this lovely potion and wash all your fatigue away!
- Pleasant fragrance
- Makes the skin soft
- Effective cleanser
- Might not be ideal for those with skin sensitivities
10. Best pH-Balanced Formula: Eucerin pH5 Shower Oil
The Eucerin shower oil gently cleanses dry and sensitive skin that is damaged by environmental triggers. Using extra-mild surfactants especially for this skin type, its unique pH Balance System protects and strengthens skin by warding off dead skin cells. The pH Citrate Buffer balances pH levels of the skin and neutralizes alkaline-based aggressors. With the help of caring oils like soybean and castor, the lipids are replenished and this prevents skin from drying out long after you use it. To calm dehydrated skin down, this is one of the most effective shower oils for dry skin.
- Ideal for weak, dry, and sensitive skin
- Balances pH levels
- Contains moisturizing oils
- Prevents skin from drying
- Extra mild formula
- Free of alcohol, parabens, silicones, and sulfates
- Might be sticky
11. BestDermatologist-Tested Formula: KORRES Instant Smoothing Serum-In-Shower Oil
If your skin is dehydrated and rough, what better way to revive it than with KORRES’ shower oil for dry skin? The formula is water-activated and a lightweight 2-in-1 body serum and oil that sinks in immediately, leaving skin plump and smooth. This natural shower oil contains 5 nutrient oils for 24-hour long moisture including sweet almond, jojoba, sunflower seed, apricot, and olive along with shea butter. We guarantee that your skin will drink this up and become even-textured with a youthful look.
- Soothes rough and dehydrated skin
- Moisturizing formula
- Recyclable packaging
- Evens out skin texture
- Some may find it slightly greasy
Now that we’ve gone over some of the best shower oils on the market, let’s get into how you can pick the best one for yourself.
Things To Consider When Buying A Shower Oil
As shower oils are targeted towards dry skin in need of hydration and sensitive skin in need of calming, one ought to be careful about the scent. If you have sensitive skin or are intolerant of fragrances, it is best to avoid them altogether and look for an unperfumed or unscented option or a fragrance-free shower oil. However, if you prefer scented oils, you can choose a moisturizing formula or one with aromatherapeutic benefits. A blend of oils like lavender, chamomile, eucalyptus, and sweet almond can help calm the mind and bring you undisturbed sleep. Steer clear of ‘artificial fragrance’ or ‘perfume’ in the ingredients label.
As shower oils are cleansers, they might use sulfates to remove dirt and grime. But if your skin type is sensitive, these chemical ingredients can be abrasive to your skin barrier. On top of that, they could also strip your skin of essential moisture and leave it drier than before. Try to look for formulas that use mild surfactants that are pH-balanced or natural elements like coconut oil. An organic shower oil free of petroleum, sulfates, parabens, artificial colors or fragrances, phthalates, mineral oils, and silicones is your best bet.
Look for a formula that is lightweight yet thick enough to be moisturizing. Ensure that it isn’t too runny either. Additionally, a non-comedogenic one is ideal as it doesn’t clog pores and won’t trap the dirt in. Something that works up a rich lather while being effective as a cleanser is what you should be looking for.
After you’ve bagged your favorite shower oil, let’s put it to use and derive some skin-loving benefits!
How To Use Shower Oil
- Step 1: Get into the shower and wet your skin.
- Step 2: Apply the shower oil onto your body or pour some onto a moistened loofah.
- Step 3: Lather it up with the loofah or a brush and scrub gently.
- Step 4: Using warm water, rinse off.
- Step 5: Even though shower oils cleanse and moisturize in one go, you can still follow this up with a moisturizing lotion right out of the bath to help seal in moisture.
- You could also add the shower oil to a bathtub filled with lukewarm water and soak in it for up to 15 minutes. You can later scrub it off and rinse.
It is said that a hot bath with essential oils can lower stress and help you to unwind after a long and hectic workday! These oils have a pleasing scent and are used in various aromatherapies to relieve anxiety, stress, and muscle soreness. They are skin-friendly and nourish your skin by giving you a rejuvenating and relaxing bathing experience. Moreover, these shower oils are gentle, non-comedogenic, and lightweight. However, some oils may have a thick consistency and leave a residue. In addition, few products may not be suitable for sensitive skin. Remember to choose the products that match your skin type.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
The author, Vaishnavi Kothuri, is a skin care enthusiast and has a good knowledge of shower oils that do a world of good to the skin. She has compiled the above list of the best shower oils after thorough research and a careful examination of hundreds of reviews posted on multiple trusted online forums. These non-comedogenic and divine-smelling oils nurture your skin besides attending to your weary muscles.
- Best Bath Products For Spa-Like Experience
- Dry Oil: What Is It And How To Use It Effectively
- Body Oil Or Lotion – Which Is A Better Option For Your Skincare Routine
- Best Carrier Oils To Dilute Essential Oils + Tips To Use