Until recently, the beauty industry made makeup solely for white women. Makeup for women of color is comparatively a new thing, but now that manufacturers have started making them, there’s a boom in their production. These makeup products are made with just the right pigment to match various skin tones, textures, and undertones. As a woman of color, you can now find your ideal foundation, eyeshadow palette, highlighter, etc., a little easier. You won’t have to shy away from makeup because you can’t find a suitable shade.
However, with an overwhelming amount of products available in the market, finding the right shade is no cakewalk. So, we have put together a sifted list of 13 makeup products for women of color. Scroll down to grab the ones that match your preference and dazzle in a beautiful glow!
In This Article
13 Best Makeup Products For Women With Skin Of Color
Start Fit. Finish strong — this is what Maybelline New York believes and frankly, we agree! Provide the perfect last touch to your makeup base with Fit Me Loose Finishing Powder. This is a mineral-based, loose formula that is designed to provide your skin a smooth texture with a hint of color. All you have to do is swirl the brush into the powder, remove the excess, and apply it over your face. They are available in multiple shades for the hottest women of color!
- It helps in keeping your foundation set.
- It helps control the shine on your skin.
- It doesn’t make your makeup look cakey.
- It might not hold up on oily skin for a long time.
Revlon prides itself on producing a solution for an even and long-lasting shine control. ColorStay Longwear Liquid Foundation is expertly designed with salicylic acid for both combination and oily skins. The liquid makeup is persistent that stays up to 24 hours giving you a beautiful matte finish. If you are trying to achieve a fancy look, you can use it with an eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, and lipstick — they blend flawlessly. Revlon also offers a Normal/Dry Skin variant and 42 other shades ranging between light, medium, and deep shades.
- Oil-free and lightweight formula
- It features SPF 15
- It has a pump for easy and clean operation.
- It offers medium to full buildable coverage.
- Selecting the right shade could be a hassle.
Make your favorite features stand out even more with the brand new, all-in-one contour palette from Black Radiance. You can tailor your base makeup using this set of 3 blendable shades to attain the perfect look to match your skin tone. It helps you to define your cheekbones, nose, and jaw line effortlessly. Now enter parties with confidence and rest assured you are always ready for a perfect selfie!
- Blendable shades
- Offers full coverage
- It includes an instruction chart for beginners.
- You may find it difficult to apply it with a brush.
Now take selfies all day without any white flashbacks! This setting powder lets you control the oil and reduces shine without making it look cakey. It is one of the most preferred brands in the market. This translucent face powder can be used to set, bake, highlight, or contour on any skin tone. It helps you to fill in fine lines and pores for a flawless matte finish that will last from dawn to dusk. It also comes in a lighter shade — Buttercup Light, for the lighter skin tone.
- It comprises hypoallergenic ingredients.
- It can be used as a face powder as well.
- Not ideal for people with dry skin
Never lose your natural radiance! Becca’s Shimmering Skin Perfector features an ultrafine luminescent pearl that will absorb, reflect, and refract light. It is combined with liquid blenders to offer a creamy application and a well-balanced color dispersion. The peachy, white-gold shade blends both cool and warm to amp up the natural glow of the skin. You can use them with subtlety or as a full-on highlight.
- Great pigmentation
- The highlights last an entire day.
- The formula blends pigment with liquid for a buttery texture.
- The powder may crumble in the case.
What better way to finish your styling than putting on a vibrant lipstick? But as a woman of color, it is very difficult to find the right shade of lipstick. This best-selling lip color from Bobbi Brown could be the one to complement your skin tone. This iconic creamy formula was the first-ever formula to be launched by the company. It feels very comfortable and offers full-color coverage to give your lips a natural look. Be it a party or a romantic date, there is a shade for every occasion.
- Radiant color that lasts up to 10 hours
- Paraben and phthalate-free
- The shade helps in enhancing the tone of your lips.
- It might have an unpleasant odor.
Made for limitless eyeshadow variations, the Nubian is a product of blending velvety mattes with shimmering pearlized shades. This 12-series of classic neutrals eyeshadow palette features 4 matte eyeshadows and 8 shimmers. This warm-colored palette is an essential cosmetic product for women of color. It comprises all the colors that are needed to transform your eyes for a dreamy look. They blend seamlessly and give an amazing staying power.
- The shades last all-day
- Ideal to be used as an everyday palette
- Works great with a primer
- High-pigmented eyeshadows for wet or dry use
- It feels buttery smooth and is high-pigmented.
- The palette is prone to breakage.
Be it African-American or South Asian, women from all over the world have the right to look stunning. If you have a need for professional-looking makeup for women of color, then this one is for you. Made by professional makeup artists, it has 6 pigmented and silky powder shades to help you contour your face. It feels light on the skin due to its transparent pigments that don’t cause irritation. And, they donate a meal to animals for every palette purchased, how wonderful is that?
- Blendable with your base foundation
- It has an ultra-fine formula for the perfect sculpting.
- It contains both matte and satin finishes in cool and warm tone colors.
- It may look cakey on dry skin type.
There is very little that needs to be said about Iman. She has been in the business for over 20 years and is one of the pioneers of natural makeup for women of color. Second To None Cream is backed by such a legacy that gives you a naturally glamorous look that you deserve. The creamy yet consistent texture blends with ease and reduces the visibility of large pores. It is recommended to apply it with a sponge for a natural look.
- Very affordable
- Hides discoloration
- Provides full coverage
- It incorporates a powder for a velvety finish.
- It is not ideal to be used on oily skins.
This range of concealers from L.A. Girl provides an opaque coverage on your skin. This crease-resistant concealer is very creamy and yet lightweight which helps in masking the dark circles around your eyes. It helps in camouflaging redness, blemishes, and skin imperfections. It provides natural-looking coverage with even skin tones. You can either apply it directly using the tube or put it on a palette and apply it with a brush.
- It is great for contouring
- It offers full coverage
- It includes a soft brush on the tip for easy application.
- The product consistency may be too thin.
Lip Bar constantly innovates beauty products that challenge the stereotypes and tries to change the way people think about beauty. All skin tones need to be appreciated and this range of liquid matte lipstick just alleviates your beauty while not masking your skin tone. The vibrant and sultry, orange-red liquid matte is an excellent choice to woo that special someone. This lipstick is available in 16 alluring shades.
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Rich texture
- It can last a full day without drying up.
- It might leak onto your teeth while applying.
12. Best Dermatologist Tested:bareMinerals – bareSkin Pure Brightening Serum Foundation – Bare Mocha
This is a strong mineral foundation that is combined with skin brightening serum. It is made up of natural ingredients to resist any environmental stressors. Made without oil, silicone, or fragrance, it is clinically proven to prevent discoloration for an even skin tone. The serum is lightweight, almost as if you have nothing on.
- Non-chemical, broad-spectrum SPF 20
- Customizable coverage
- Hypoallergenic, dermatologist tested and non-comedogenic formula
- It might get oily over time.
As a woman of color who wears lipstick every day, you are sure to run out of options soon. Black Opal offers a gorgeous collection of lipstick colors for African-American women. Ranging from subtle nudes to statement shades, they are sure to turn heads. The luxurious creamy color with a Shiny Patent Finish gives you a high-impact look in an instant. The advanced formula covers fine lines and offers a glossy finish that doesn’t feel sticky.
- Lightweight and highly-pigmented
- It has vitamins A, C and E to provide antioxidant protection.
- It has nourishing active ingredients that moisturize and condition your lips.
- It has a very strong odor
These were some of the best makeup brands for women of color. In the following section, we will find out how to choose the makeup that complements your skin tone.
Tips On Choosing The Right Makeup For Women Of Color
For a woman of color, it is very hard to find products that offer the desired makeup results. These tips should give you an idea on how to choose the right one for your dark skin.
- Skin Tone: The first and foremost thing is that you need to choose a foundation that matches the undertones of your skin. Undertones and skin tones are two different things. Undertones remain constant, whereas, skin tones keep changing due to different reasons. They are classified into three types — cool, warm, and neutral. If the skin has a hint of yellow or gold, then the base tone is warm; if it has hints of blue, pink, or red, then the skin has a cool base tone; and it is neutral when it has a mix of both.
- Skin Type: The skin type is one of the major factors that need to be considered. Oily, dry or normal — there are different requirements for each skin type. For example, if you have oily skin, then the Setting Powder from Sacha helps in controlling the oil without making it look cakey. For someone with dry skin, you will need a product that has a hydrating formula that retains the moisture on your skin.
- Coverage: Coverage refers to how much of the makeup will conceal on the skin. It varies from sheer, the most transparent coverage with the least amount of pigmentation, to a full, the most opaque coverage. It depends on our preference on what you need.
- Longwearing: If you are a working woman, then it is sure that you will be spending the majority of the day in your workplace. Choosing a product that will last the entire day with very minimum fallout, will save you the hassle of applying it over and over again.
- Chemical-free: Most women wear makeup pretty much every single day. Doing so might affect your skin in the long run. Brands use preservatives to make the products last longer, but if you have a sensitive skin, then you should be looking at products that are paraben-free, which are safer to use.
- Cruelty-free: Although this one regularly doesn’t show up on people’s checklist, we highly suggest that it should be one of the factors to be considered while buying cosmetics. Animals shouldn’t be tested on or be harmed in any way to fulfill our requirements.
Makeup Tips For The Beautiful Women Of Color
Although there are quite a lot of beauty influencers on social media, there still seems to be a lack of understanding when it comes to women of color. If you are a beginner, we understand how intimidating it can be with all the products that are available in the market. With that in mind, we have some makeup tips that should help you get started.
- Moisturize your skin properly by keeping them well-hydrated to avoid any dryness problems.
- Find the right foundation shades that act as a base for the makeup. If a single shade doesn’t work, you can mix it up with another (darker or lighter) to balance and match the skin tone.
- Even if you have dark skin, you are bound to have dark circles. Cover it up with a concealer, which also lightens the surrounding area.
- A touch of a well-balanced highlighter will instantly glow up the look of your eyes and define your face.
- For the best eye makeup results during the day, you should use subtle shades like pink and gray, along with mascara. And, for the night life, you should apply shades like blue, purple, or even burgundy.
- Avoid using lipsticks that give you a glossy finish and instead use shades like beige, coffee, chocolate, soft pink, plums, berry, burgundy, and gold.
Women of color need to be celebrated until kingdom come! But we also think that, there will come a day when that needn’t be said anymore. Until that happens, with the help of brands from our list of the best makeup for women of color, we hope that we are making progress in the right direction.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
Chaitra Krishnan, the author, is a makeup fiend who loves exploring and sharing new makeup products. Until recently, women of color have always had it tough when it comes to makeup choices for their skin tone. After much research and investigation, the author is happy to share this list of makeup products for women of color. Each of these products has been selected because of their intense color payoff, ease of application, skin-friendliness, available shades and tones, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know my natural skin color?
Skin tone is categorized into three types — cool, warm, and neutral. The easiest way is to look at the nerves on the inside of your wrist. If the veins have a blue or purple hint, then you have a cool skin tone. If the veins appear green, you have a warm skin tone. If it is a mix of both, you have a neutral skin color.
What color should my eye makeup be?
The most suitable colors would be gold, copper, bronze, emerald greens, rich violets, deep plums, grays, metallic shades, blues, and cobalt.
What colors look best on tan skin?
You should try pleasant colors like rich browns, orange-yellow, olive green, deep reds, and purples
Where should you match your foundation?
Ideally, you should match the foundation of your face with your neck. You can also keep it a shade lighter than your neck.
- Best High-End Makeup Products Worth Splurging On
- Best Makeup Products For Oily Skin
- Best Primary Makeup Products For Pale Skin
- Best Wedding Makeup Products For Every Bride On Her Big Day!
- Awesome Must-Haves For Your Makeup Bag – Beginner’s Guide